Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Its bittersweet to feel like we backed in but they really didn't. The team almost went wire to wire in 1st place. I believe they mentioned they were only in 2nd for 1 day. They ****ing earned it. They can't hit for **** and I am pretty much expecting a team K% ~30 TBH. But whatever. They took the division back and got to sit back and watch their 2 biggest rivals beat each other out of the race. Thats pretty great.

I hope they got some fight left in em. Our pitching should be able to keep us in most games.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    I see the Phillies still have a chance, I guess if they win and SF and Brewers lose, they're in at 29-31

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Which is fine, but bringing them up in the playoffs is insane, unless the Cubs got desperate re: injuries. I was in favour of bringing him up earlier this month. If it was going to be done they'd have done it by now, or should have.

But as I said, the big thing in Marquez's favour is he wouldn't have to pitch in front of 40k fans going playoff crazy.
    Why is it insane? I honestly think "experience" is the most overrated thing in sports. I really dont care. Marquez has great stuff. Ryan sucks. Winkler sucks. Underwood sucks. Id rather have the lefty who throws 100 mph over Ryan.

Its 2 IP, probably max, in three game set. If you ask me who I'd rather see on the mound, Ryan who has "experience" or the dude who throws 100mph? Just give me the guy who throws 100.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Feels so good to have postseason baseball in this weird year. Hopefully these guys can keep hitting and make some noise

Also I think the Sox will be okay too, Eloy would be the best hitter on this team and losing him even for a few games canít be easy. If they get the right matchup first round theyíll be okay. Basically if they get anybody but the Yankees I think theyíll win their first round series too

My prediction for the Cubs series:

I think cubs win 2-0, but if it goes 1-1 I can see fish winning game 3. Against Lester guys like Anderson, Aguilar and Marte have more value and they are capable against LHP. Need to win these first two and put them to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Sucks to have our DH hitting 9th. Caratini has had a down year. Jose Martinez not going much either. I'd consider Bote at DH in different matchups.
    Yep. I want my DH to be one of my 3 best hitters

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Cubs just have too many good relievers. Canít find the right fit for the guy who throws 100+ lefty.
    Hahahaha........I was thinking he'd be on the OD roster. With the expanded rosters being at 30/28, coupled with our lack of arms, it seemed pretty obvious. Never in a million years did I imagine him never throwing a pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Yep. I want my DH to be one of my 3 best hitters
    Why? All that means is one of your 3 best hitters provides zero value defensively, and hurts your overall flexibility. I'd rather my DH not be a top 3-4 hitter, and instead be something in the 6-8 range. My best players should offer value both offensively, and defensively, and be flexible so that I can consistently put out my best lineup. It also allows me to rotate the DH position and give guys extra "days off" in the field, lessoning their overall load.

A DH who's more in the 6-8 best hitter range is far easier to pull out of the lineup to give one of my really, really good players a "DH day". If they're one of my 3 best hitters, I won't want to remove them, but then it also means I get to put a dumpster fire in the field into the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Why? All that means is one of your 3 best hitters provides zero value defensively, and hurts your overall flexibility. I'd rather my DH not be a top 3-4 hitter, and instead be something in the 6-8 range. My best players should offer value both offensively, and defensively, and be flexible so that I can consistently put out my best lineup. It also allows me to rotate the DH position and give guys extra "days off" in the field, lessoning their overall load.

A DH who's more in the 6-8 best hitter range is far easier to pull out of the lineup to give one of my really, really good players a "DH day". If they're one of my 3 best hitters, I won't want to remove them, but then it also means I get to put a dumpster fire in the field into the lineup.
    This makes sense.

I guess I don't know how to explain it on paper. I just think that the DH should be a very good hitter. Not a bad one.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    This makes sense.

I guess I don't know how to explain it on paper. I just think that the DH should be a very good hitter. Not a bad one.
    I think you're getting too caught up in the "name". I agree, it shouldn't be a "bad one", but I also don't think Caratini is a "bad one". I think his numbers look a little rough this year, and he needs to barrel up more balls. ut I think with time to even his numbers out, he's a league average hitter. Maybe a scootch above, but around league average. He's not getting the ball out of the park this year, but his launch angle is pretty much the same and so are most of his peripherals to last year. So again, think he's a league average kind of guy once he starts barreling a little more. That said I think the Cubs can do better at a DH spot, too.

There may have been a time and a place where your DH was just some masher, but I think that time and place is gone. With a larger emphasis on being able to play defense, I think we see that reflected in the game today. There are less and less of the "big dude, can't field for ****" kind of guys. Even guys like Joey Gallo provide defensive value. There'd have been a time and a place where I think you'd have ignored his defense, he'd have never improved, and boom, there ya go. I think in the modern game, you want your hitters to find some home defensively and you work on that all the way up. Today, it'd probably better if your DH is someone who's defective in some way, but not necessarily one of your best hitters. They may be a platoon guy, or just bad defensively but a decent hitter. Your best hitters should hopefully have a home. It makes them more valuable. And allows the DH spot to be a spot for those aforementioned misfit toys, and allows you to use that spot as a rest day, too.

I want all of the Cubs hitters to be good hitters, but I don't think I put a ton of value on where the DH is in my pecking order of hitters. All druthers, they'd be lower on that order, however. Flexibility is so important to a modern game.

I wonder if the Cubs would consider Bryant in the OF permanently and free them up to get someone like Arenado. Arenado is a Theo/Jed type player for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    I wonder if the Cubs would consider Bryant in the OF permanently and free them up to get someone like Arenado. Arenado is a Theo/Jed type player for sure.
    The issue starts and ends with how little money the Cubs seem poised to spend this offseason. While perhaps an interesting idea, the team, by all indications, does not seem very likely at all, to add a contract like Arrenado. Its probably not worth much time wondering about, due to that.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    My prediction for the Cubs series:

I think cubs win 2-0, but if it goes 1-1 I can see fish winning game 3. Against Lester guys like Anderson, Aguilar and Marte have more value and they are capable against LHP. Need to win these first two and put them to sleep
    It would probably be a mistake to start Lester in game 3. It would absolutely be a mistake to allow him to pitch more than 1-2 innings. I think Ross has had a nice year, but he needs to realize that Lester isnít a good option before Friday. If they advance to the NLDS they wonít have a choice. The lack of off days means everybody is going to have to pitch. In the WC round they have a choice.

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast