Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Last series of year Mets vs. Nats

And no more Mets baseball for another.

Smith would of hit 50-60 doubles.

So much to be miserable about, but there have been some positives. Dom, Guillorme, Giminez, Cano still hitting, Conforto emerging, Peterson a reliable arm, Diaz showing signs, deGrom as dominant as ever. McNeil has hit a quiet .330 but still a guy to be excited about. Many will be gone. Alonso and Rosario were my biggest disappointments from the "core" that is scheduled to come back. If they want to compete they will have to spend quite a bit, but there is a glimmer of a core.

Seven strong innings from Peterson. Nice to see the kid end the season on a high note. One of the bright spots for the season. Wasnít expecting much from him. He far exceeded my expectations.

Finally Chirinos has a good game lmao

They have a real good core, just need to add to it but Peterson has shown he can be counted to at least be a back end guy next year.

Top 3 positives for me this year.

1. Smith stepping up as a guy to build around specially given Alonsoís struggles. Given the DH is likely to stay having both is huge!!

2. Diaz improving drastically, now I canít say I completely trust him, but the Mets will need him to be this good going forward.

3. Peterson emerging as a solid starter, now he might suck next year, but considering all the guys they had to begin the year and how all got hurt, sucked or opted out and he pitched very well for a rookie.

My three big disappointments are.

1. The starters, not just injuries killing them but holy **** most of them sucked and in Matz case he might bier even be a major leaguer anymore, I know for a fact you canít count on him come next year to be given a starter job for sure.

2. Alonso basically becoming Dave Kingman, he even basically lost the first base job.

3. Rosario just regressing, after last years second half you thought he was in his way to fulfilling his potential, but nope.

I wouldn't bank on Peterson right now. He looks good but the league doesn't really know him yet. Hopefully it doesn't stop this team from pursuing SP. They need it.

Package Rosario and Davis for a CFer for a real 3rd baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I wouldn't bank on Peterson right now. He looks good but the league doesn't really know him yet. Hopefully it doesn't stop this team from pursuing SP. They need it.

Agree that we'll need to make some trades, especially where we have redundancy or square pegs. However I think Peterson is a pitcher who knows what he's doing, will make his own adjustments, and get better. An area for improvement, which surprised me with him, is control.

If Miami loses to Atlanta tonight - it is in rain delay - then the Mets are 2 games behind both Miami & the Phillies for 2nd place with 3 games to play. Miami finishes at Yankee Stadium, and the Phillies in Tampa. The Mets have the tiebreaker over Miami but not the Phillies.

They are also not yet eliminated from the 2nd wild card but the chance of that is even more convoluted.

ESPN gives the Mets a 1.8% chance.

The Mets did clinch at least a tie for 4th place tonight. One more win and they clinch 4th over the Nats to avoid last place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Smith would of hit 50-60 doubles.
    Gilkey in 1996 holds the club record with 44 doubles. Wright hit 40+ doubles five times. HoJo and Fonz also did it once.

Miami beat Atlanta, so in order for the Mets to finish 2nd, the Mets would need to win their last three games, while Miami and the Phillies would need to each lose their last three gams.

I am not banking on him, but just as he could regress he could also improve.

Should have Jacob, Peterson and Lugo in rotation next year which is not bad. Assuming Noah comes back at some point but hard to count on him coming right off TJ.

Will need another top level starter to add to the mix to compete.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Should have Jacob, Peterson and Lugo in rotation next year which is not bad. Assuming Noah comes back at some point but hard to count on him coming right off TJ.

Will need another top level starter to add to the mix to compete.
    They should still try to sign Bauer. No more relying on hope as a plan for success.

I just learned that Jackie Bradly Jr. is a free agent . He is a real CF . I like George Springer but Sick says he no longer is a real CF , more of a corner OF. That said if Sandy does become head of baseball operations he values offense much more than defense and would probably go after Springer. even though Bradley is a far superior defensive CF

It is acknowledged that to be a really good defensive team you must be strong up the middle . Signing Realmuto and Bradley Jr. and installing Gimenez at SS wwe would be 3/4 there. Cano is a decent 2B. and is not a liability at 2B but has lost some range . When McNeil plays there we would be just about be there. He is no Bill Mazeroski but he is a very decent 2B
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 09-25-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast