Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,946

    Cole what to expect in Oct.

    Is he just getting warmed up? Is the best yet to come? Has this absurd season had an effect on his performance?

    Yankees with 1.00 ERA or lower and at least 30 K in September:

    Gerrit Cole (2020)
    Whitey Ford (1963)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    As long as higgy keeps catching him he should do well

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    As long as higgy keeps catching him he should do well
    I don't disagree.

    But in reality the pitcher calls his own game. He shakes until he finds the pitch he wants. Now if you are talking D, framing ect. there could be a preference.

    Years ago I recall reading pitchers got a bit testy with Gary because he called for the FB exclusively with men on. The rationale, he didn't want his caught stealing numbers to suffer. It was reported in both NY daily's.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I don't disagree.

    But in reality the pitcher calls his own game. He shakes until he finds the pitch he wants. Now if you are talking D, framing ect. there could be a preference.

    Years ago I recall reading pitchers got a bit testy with Gary because he called for the FB exclusively with men on. The rationale, he didn't want his caught stealing numbers to suffer. It was reported in both NY daily's.
    Here is an interesting article on higgy catching cole vs Sanchez earlier in the season . And I believe it . A pitcher’s era doesn’t suddenly go from over 3 to 1 just because he needed time to “adjust” .

    https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...6wm-story.html

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    39,301
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I don't disagree.

    But in reality the pitcher calls his own game. He shakes until he finds the pitch he wants. Now if you are talking D, framing ect. there could be a preference.

    Years ago I recall reading pitchers got a bit testy with Gary because he called for the FB exclusively with men on. The rationale, he didn't want his caught stealing numbers to suffer. It was reported in both NY daily's.
    I also read from a post Day made that Cole is also throwing a 2 seamer. So if he added a pitch? New environment, tons of pressure, new pitch, new catcher?
    It could rattle him a bit till he found a groove.



    Ignorance is bliss

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,946
    Bryan Hoch
    @BryanHoch
    ·
    10m
    Aaron Boone said on WFAN that the postseason catching will be a "day to day" decision. So Kyle Higashioka may start more than just with Gerrit Cole.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I also read from a post Day made that Cole is also throwing a 2 seamer. So if he added a pitch? New environment, tons of pressure, new pitch, new catcher?
    It could rattle him a bit till he found a groove.
    Good points all. However, if you look at his work historically he builds toward the postseason. My concern with the abbreviated season is he where he needs to be?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Bryan Hoch
    @BryanHoch
    ·
    10m
    Aaron Boone said on WFAN that the postseason catching will be a "day to day" decision. So Kyle Higashioka may start more than just with Gerrit Cole.
    At the very least that is how it SHOULD be . They need to put defense as a priority when it comes to their catcher since Sanchez is hitting so badly and higgy isn’t known for his bat either until this season

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    20,111
    Not worried about Cole.

    More worried with the offense and bullie.

    I can easily see Cole turning over a 2-1 game to the bullie and we lose 3-2.
    Soundgarden
    1. Fell on Black Days( Cornell with vocal perfection)
    2. Outshined
    3. Spoonman
    4. Black Hole Sun
    5. Loud Love
    6. Ugly Truth


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,666
    Since he's been pitching to Higgy it seems everything Cole was working on has clicked, even the 2seam/cutter. Cole has always pitched better later in the season. Based on his number from the last months he's clearly ready to go IMO. Unfortunately for him with the way the playoffs are set up without days off he's not going to be able to impact the playoffs like it is a normal yr.

    It wouldn't surprise me if Cole went undefeated this off season with an ERA below 2. Tanaka always shows up huge for the playoffs every yr so he'll be fine, its the other 3 guys that scare the crap out of me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •