Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thought it deserved its own thread.

This pretty much seals BVW exit as GM.

Thought on who Alderson might bring in as GM?

What kind of power will the GM have? Is it Alderson who has the last day on any move?

David Lennon@DPLennon

Based on the timeline for Cohenís approval, thought it was possible some of Van Wagenen regime would have to be kept around for #Mets winter transition into 2021, at least.

But quickly bringing Alderson on board as president eliminates the need for that scenario.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

What this moves does is signal to the other owners that Cohen won't be spending like a drunken sailor this off season. They will have a plan on building a team through free agency and the minors.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Exactly. Smart baseball move but also a smart political move. Adding a respected MLB entity will expedite owner approval for sure.

Jon Heyman@JonHeyman

Breaking: Steve Cohen has hired Sandy Alderson as team president, contingent of course on ownership approval of Cohen by MLB owners. sources say. Alderson, the Metsí GM from 2010-2018, will head both baseball and business operations in the new setup.

I wonder if Sandy can pry Billy Owens from the A's.

I am going to miss Sandy's cheap jokes.

Sandy Alderson@MetsGM
    Feb 9, 2012
    Getting ready for Spring Training-Driving to FL but havenít left yet. Big fundraiser tonight for gas money. Also exploring PAC contribution.

Sandy Alderson@MetsGM
    Feb 10, 2012
    Prepping for trip. Bought 4 like-new tires at chop shop across from Citi. He threw in free wiper fluid. Better than the Wheeler deal!

David Lennon
    @DPLennon

Should clarity that as more of a title thing. Based on what Aldersonís oversight would be, his job description now becomes more like Jeff Wilponís involvement in day-to-day operations. But Jeff was listed as the chief operating officer.

David Lennon
    @DPLennon

The person Sandy Alderson would be replacing as #Mets president is Saul Katz, Fred Wilponís brother-in-law and co-founder/senior partner of Sterling Equities.

Good I was always a Sandy fan. I mean he had even less resources than Brodie and he got us to a couple playoff appearances and a WS. Nothing personal against Brodie but he simply isnít a GM he is a sports agent. Had no business being hired in the first place

So in function he's replacing Jeff Wilpon, which is the awesomest sentence anyone's ever spoken. So that's a win.

I only hope this means Brody's immediate exit, rather than letting him hang on for a season in a Lame Duck capacity, which sometimes happens.

Brodie is history and he knows it. The only way he might have survived is if the Mets made the playoffs. But his track record had been horrendous as a GM. Cohen wants his own guys in there and especially ones that have a proven track record

Yeah, I donít see him staying.

My only concern about bringing Sandy back is that it is a signal to other owners that Cohen might have a more conservative approach to FA than maybe some fans might like. I just hope that they spend in the areas they need. This is no time for austerity from this team. They need to bring in a few pieces to make themselves a real contender. They can't nickel and dime at C, CF and pitching (RP & SP).

Brodie is gone. Rojas might stay for another season.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast