Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Years Team

Next Years Team

This would be my team for next season, which even with Steve Cohen's money probably will not happen and assuming the DH is kept.

1B Smith or Alonso
    2B- Cano
    3B- McNeil
    SS- Gimenez
    LF- Nimmo
    RF- Conforto
    CF- Springer
    C-Realmuto
    DH- Smith or Alonso

Cano to play 60% of the games with McNeil playing 2B the other times and Davis playing 3B when McNeil is playing 2B

P-DeGrom, Bauer, Syndergaard, Peterson and maybe Porcello or ? Bullpen Lugo, Diaz, Wilson, Schreve and ? Yes, I understand that Syndergaard probably will not be back until June or even July so my starting pitching is weak.

The problem is that Bauer, Realmuto and Springer, Porcello are all free agents and I am not sure how much money Cohen is willing to spend in year 1. I am not sure whether Conforto is a FA .

I don't know what to do with Rosario and Nido would be my back up catcher. I would like to get more playing time for Davis but don't know how to do it other than getting rid of Cano but that will not happen.
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 09-24-2020 at 07:21 AM.

There are so many fluid factors. Are fans going to be in attendance next season? Are teams going to lower their budgets in anticipation of lower revenue? Does MLB and the MLBPA lower the luxury tax threshold? I feel like MLB and MLBPA have a lot to talk about. The NHL already went to a flat cap next season. What does MLB do?

Then there is Alderson, his approach and who he hires as GM? Too many questions. I think the Mets will be major players for one big FA. After that, I could see Alderson looking to build through the draft and IFA. I don't see them going on a big spending spree. Not with Alderson being president of baseball operations.

defense and starting pitching need to get better

they also need to clear up the outfield logjam and trade either conforto or nimmo and sign a center fielder

Iím hoping Cabo is bought out/released now that Cohen is here. Yes he wasnít terrible like last tear but it was only a 69 game season. I doubt he would have kept it up in a normal year especially next year at 38

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    There are so many fluid factors. Are fans going to be in attendance next season? Are teams going to lower their budgets in anticipation of lower revenue? Does MLB and the MLBPA lower the luxury tax threshold? I feel like MLB and MLBPA have a lot to talk about. The NHL already went to a flat cap next season. What does MLB do?

Then there is Alderson, his approach and who he hires as GM? Too many questions. I think the Mets will be major players for one big FA. After that, I could see Alderson looking to build through the draft and IFA. I don't see them going on a big spending spree. Not with Alderson being president of baseball operations.
    I think spending is the smartest thing they can do. Itís obvious that this team really needs improvements but, itís smarter to fill those voids via free agency rather than trades, especially since thereís a few free agents that the Mets could really use.

Iíd like for us to go about this a similar way to the Dodgers, carrying a super high payroll, signing a **** ton of IFA, taking on bad contracts to get better prospects, etc. I donít know if Alderson would do that but again, I donít suspect that heíll be the GM but instead will be tasked with building an FO
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Iíve said what I wanted to do a million times over by now but Iíll say it again just for fun and because I havenít played MLB the show in a while.

Sign Bauer, Realmuto, Hendriks and/or Treinen, and guy like Ray/Paxton/Tanaka/Fiers...Maybe bring back Wilson for the pen

Trade JD + Matz/Kilomť for a guy like Bader/Buxton...Or Rosario for Mercado. But if I had a say? I would package JD and some lower prospects for Arenado + cash, trade Rosario to the Indians for Brad Hand, and jump in on any overseas talent that gets posted.

Vs LHP

Bader
    McNeil
    Arenado
    Realmuto
    Conforto
    Alonso
    Dom
    Cano
    Gimenez

Vs RHP

Nimmo
    McNeil
    Arenado
    Conforto
    Dom
    Realmuto
    Cano
    Alonso
    Gimenez

The bench overall would be something like; Nido, Bader, Guillorme, then fill in the lasts spots with whatever needs to be filled

The rotation;

deGrom
    Bauer
    Peterson
    Ray/Paxton/Tanaka/Fiers or whoever
    Lugo -> let him start until Syndergaard comes back then assess the rotation from there

The bullpen;

Diaz
    Hendriks/Treinen
    Brad Hand
    Familia
    Drew Smith
    Betances
    Wilson

The prospects are another year closer, which helps. Peterson and Gimenezís showing gives me confidence that thereís more good talent coming through the pipeline.

Having 10 guys for 9 spots offensively helps, too. Somebodyís bound to get injured and having a guy like McNeil is super valuable to be able to plug in anywhere. Having Arenado + Conforto is practically a guaranteed 150+ games along with the fact that the teamís defense is suddenly borderline elite.

Then you have a strong rotation, a great bullpen, and the lineup is even scarier. Get it done, Omar.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    This would be my team for next season, which even with Steve Cohen's money probably will not happen and assuming the DH is kept.

1B Smith or Alonso
    2B- Cano
    3B- McNeil
    SS- Gimenez
    LF- Nimmo
    RF- Conforto
    CF- Springer
    C-Realmuto
    DH- Smith or Alonso

Cano to play 60% of the games with McNeil playing 2B the other times and Davis playing 3B when McNeil is playing 2B

P-DeGrom, Bauer, Syndergaard, Peterson and maybe Porcello or ? Bullpen Lugo, Diaz, Wilson, Schreve and ? Yes, I understand that Syndergaard probably will not be back until June or even July so my starting pitching is weak.

The problem is that Bauer, Realmuto and Springer, Porcello are all free agents and I am not sure how much money Cohen is willing to spend in year 1. I am not sure whether Conforto is a FA .

I don't know what to do with Rosario and Nido would be my back up catcher. I would like to get more playing time for Davis but don't know how to do it other than getting rid of Cano but that will not happen.
    I would definitely bring in catcher JT Realmuto and centerfielder G. Springer. Cohen is a very rich man i.e billionaire. He will spend the money, but then again he might raise the ticket prices as well. As for our starting rotation that definitely has to be rebuilt. First thing we do is take out the garbage. Matz, Porcello, and Wacha ALL GARBAGE!!!! J. Degrom and D. Peterson are set as starters. We must sign one of the big name free agent pitchers like Bauer. Also, we have trade pieces like Rosario and possible Nimmo. We can get a pitcher trading those guys. I suppose Nimmo could be our 4th outfielder as he's yet to play a full 500 AB seaon, and may not be a full time player after all. But we can still use either McNeil or Giminez as leadoff hitters. I would suggest giving C. Oswalt another chance to be a no. 5 starter until Syndergaard comes back. Lugo is not ready to be a full time starter. Every time he goes into the rotation his ERA balloons.
    Last edited by erickench; 09-28-2020 at 12:46 PM.

There's alot of bad contracts coming of the books next year such as Cespedes, Lowrie, Stroman, etc. Not to mention the dead money from David Wright's contract https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york...id-wright-569/. Also, the money for those two waste products, Porcello and Wacha, along with Ramos are coming off the books. As for Matz, all we have do is not offer him arbitration and that's another $5 million. We've got enough to sign three big name free agents i.e two position players and a pitcher. LETS GO METS.

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    There's alot of bad contracts coming of the books next year such as Cespedes, Lowrie, Stroman, etc. Not to mention the dead money from David Wright's contract https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york...id-wright-569/. Also, the money for those two waste products, Porcello and Wacha, along with Ramos are coming off the books. As for Matz, all we have do is not offer him arbitration and that's another $5 million. We've got enough to sign three big name free agents i.e two position players and a pitcher. LETS GO METS.
    There is no way Matz should be offered arbitration. They can get a guy on a minor league contract who could give them better production. Matz might be better again someday, but it will have to be somewhere else. He looks done as a Met. He is too in his own head, so there is no way he overcomes this year performance while in a Mets uniform moving forward.

Cespedes, Stroman, and Lowrie account for little more than $50 million. Porcello, Wacha, Matz, and Ramos account for a little less than $30 million. So that's about $80 million left to spend on Springer, Realmuto, and Bauer with some left over for minor signings. Wrights dead money will account for another $12 million in cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Iíve said what I wanted to do a million times over by now but Iíll say it again just for fun and because I havenít played MLB the show in a while.

Sign Bauer, Realmuto, Hendriks and/or Treinen, and guy like Ray/Paxton/Tanaka/Fiers...Maybe bring back Wilson for the pen

Trade JD + Matz/Kilomť for a guy like Bader/Buxton...Or Rosario for Mercado. But if I had a say? I would package JD and some lower prospects for Arenado + cash, trade Rosario to the Indians for Brad Hand, and jump in on any overseas talent that gets posted.

Vs LHP

Bader
    McNeil
    Arenado
    Realmuto
    Conforto
    Alonso
    Dom
    Cano
    Gimenez

Vs RHP

Nimmo
    McNeil
    Arenado
    Conforto
    Dom
    Realmuto
    Cano
    Alonso
    Gimenez

The bench overall would be something like; Nido, Bader, Guillorme, then fill in the lasts spots with whatever needs to be filled

The rotation;

deGrom
    Bauer
    Peterson
    Ray/Paxton/Tanaka/Fiers or whoever
    Lugo -> let him start until Syndergaard comes back then assess the rotation from there

The bullpen;

Diaz
    Hendriks/Treinen
    Brad Hand
    Familia
    Drew Smith
    Betances
    Wilson

The prospects are another year closer, which helps. Peterson and Gimenezís showing gives me confidence that thereís more good talent coming through the pipeline.

Having 10 guys for 9 spots offensively helps, too. Somebodyís bound to get injured and having a guy like McNeil is super valuable to be able to plug in anywhere. Having Arenado + Conforto is practically a guaranteed 150+ games along with the fact that the teamís defense is suddenly borderline elite.

Then you have a strong rotation, a great bullpen, and the lineup is even scarier. Get it done, Omar.
    Why would you trade players for a CF when you can sign Jackie Bradley Jr. ? You could also sign Springer but some think he is no longer a CF but a corner OF.

If the Rockies put Aranado on the market , other teams would offer more than JD Davis plus lower level prospects I think.

Of course Bauer plus Realmuto but even though Cohen has zillions of money there is going to be a limit. There might even be an understanding with the other owners before they approve that he won't spend unlimited money.

Why would you trade players for a CF when you can sign Jackie Bradley Jr. ? You could also sign Springer but some think he is no longer a CF but a corner OF.

If the Rockies put Aranado on the market , other teams would offer more than JD Davis plus lower level prospects I think.

Of course Bauer plus Realmuto but even though Cohen has zillions of money there is going to be a limit. There might even be an understanding with the other owners before they approve that he won't spend unlimited money.
    JBJ is overrated and a lefty. Heíll also be 30...guys like Bader, Buxton, and Mercado are all under team control for years to come. Springer I donít have much faith in and is also 30, heíll be a corner outfielder by the time his deal is done...not to mention that I want zero to do with the Astros.

Cohen isnít gonna spend a gazillion dollars but as others have mentioned, thereís a lot of money coming off of the books. Why shouldnít Cohen be allowed to raise a 100MM payroll to 180-190? Realmuto, Bauer, and Arenado can all be had for probably 75-90MM right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBJ is overrated and a lefty. Heíll also be 30...guys like Bader, Buxton, and Mercado are all under team control for years to come. Springer I donít have much faith in and is also 30, heíll be a corner outfielder by the time his deal is done...not to mention that I want zero to do with the Astros.

Cohen isnít gonna spend a gazillion dollars but as others have mentioned, thereís a lot of money coming off of the books. Why shouldnít Cohen be allowed to raise a 100MM payroll to 180-190? Realmuto, Bauer, and Arenado can all be had for probably 75-90MM right there.

The bolded is exactly why those guys are harder to attain than JBJ or Springer. They would make an already thin farm system thinner. Not really an apples to apples comparison. If the only alternative to not getting a perfect fit like JBJ or Springer for only money is giving up more prospects for any of the guys you listed than I would rather the Mets do nothing at CF. Also, regarding JBJ, his age is hardly a problem given that he wouldn't likely need to be signed to a long term deal and he is still elite defensively.

I understand the lefty issue but is it your opinion that Bradley is overrated as a CF? I went to school in New England and have many fans who live and die with the Red Sox and all think that he is the best CF defensively that they have ever had. Unless you can show some scouting reports on him I will take their word .

As Wiley said, why deplete the farm system when you can get a very good CF for only money

AS to Arenado, why do you think that the Mets would make the best offer. If the Braves were interested, their farm system is way better than ours is .Too bad the Rays don't have the money for him because they have the best farm system in baseball. The Tigers and Twins also have excellent farm systems and could out bid the Mets and afford Arenado. The Marlins also have one of the best farm sysyems and maybe John Sherman would give Jeter the OK .

The Padres and Dodgers farm systems are among the best but don't know whether the Rockies would trade within the division. The Padres would have to move Machado to SS.
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 09-29-2020 at 09:54 AM.

I understand the lefty issue but is it your opinion that Bradley is overrated as a CF? I went to school in New England and have many fans who live and die with the Red Sox and all think that he is the best CF defensively that they have ever had. Unless you can show some scouting reports on him I will take their word .

As Wiley said, why deplete the farm system when you can get a very good CF for only money

AS to Arenado, why do you think that the Mets would make the best offer. If the Braves were interested, their farm system is way better than ours is .Too bad the Rays don't have the money for him because they have the best farm system in baseball. The Tigers and Twins also have excellent farm systems and could out bid the Mets and afford Arenado. The Marlins also have one of the best farm sysyems and maybe John Sherman would give Jeter the OK .

The Padres and Dodgers farm systems are among the best but don't know whether the Rockies would trade within the division. The Padres would have to move Machado to SS.
    The previous last two years, his defensive metrics hadnít looked all that good compared to what he used to be. Not sure what the reason is but his DRS, UZR and OAA were lower than career norms...although he was much better last year, leading me to believe that thereís been some regression on his part. Youíre right that he wouldnít be signed to a long term deal but again, the lefty issue is a big one...unless we signed JBJ and Marisnick to sort of be a L/R platoon in center, Iíd be fine with that. Still, Iíd prefer that we got a long term option just to be as a contingency plan...I think somebody like Mercado could be bad for somebody like Rosario, straight up. There isnít a need to decimate the farm when Rosario, JD, Guillorme, etc can all be valuable trade pieces. My whole thing is, put the square pegs in the square holes and the round ones in the round. Nimmo was an atrocious center fielder, heís much better served at the corner.

If the Mets got a full time CFer, Arenado wouldnít be much of a need. They could move Nimmo to left and play McNeil at third everyday. Somebody like Arenado imo will be traded because heís fed up with Colorado and wonít cost too much in terms of prospects considering his big contract. It honestly depends on what the Rockies are looking for in a trade.

The Braves or the Marlins could make a good offer but the Mets for once, can take on his entire salary, no problem.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast