Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

NFL QB Contracts

with the insane dollars QBs are making with no real end in sight would teams be better off letting someone go even in their prime if they arent a top 5 QB and just drafting a QB and building the team?

Example.... The top 4 QBs right now would be Wilson/Mahomes/Jackson/watson with a big drop off in either skill or age after this... These guys making top dollar is now worth it because nomatter who they have they can lead a team to a title possibly but after that it just doesnt make sense to give top dollar to guys just because of the notion its a QB driven league and that equals success....

So in theory lets use Dak and Wentz as an example.... If you realize they are top 10 QBs but not top 5 QBs would it be smarter to then trade said QB in their prime while saving the 33 mill a season it would likely cost to keep them and just put talent with that money and the picks you get back into the team? You could set up a blue print before hand and even draft a QB in the 2nd or 4th round 2 years before you would need to give out a massive QB contract and have said young backup primed and ready to fill in.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    So in theory lets use Dak and Wentz as an example.... If you realize they are top 10 QBs but not top 5 QBs would it be smarter to then trade said QB in their prime while saving the 33 mill a season it would likely cost to keep them and just put talent with that money and the picks you get back into the team? You could set up a blue print before hand and even draft a QB in the 2nd or 4th round 2 years before you would need to give out a massive QB contract and have said young backup primed and ready to fill in.
    Are you saying the Eagles should draft a QB in the 2nd round?

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    The eagles would never.... wait a min...

an actual QB with talent yes.... but real talk the plan makes sense.

with the insane dollars QBs are making with no real end in sight would teams be better off letting someone go even in their prime if they arent a top 5 QB and just drafting a QB and building the team?

Example.... The top 4 QBs right now would be Wilson/Mahomes/Jackson/watson with a big drop off in either skill or age after this... These guys making top dollar is now worth it because nomatter who they have they can lead a team to a title possibly but after that it just doesnt make sense to give top dollar to guys just because of the notion its a QB driven league and that equals success....

You have to remember that chemistry matters too. If that top 10 QB is the unquestioned leader of your team it might be worth it to keep him. This is where I put Dak. The Jonesí have decided to make him prove it again though before deciding to pay him or not.

The Eagles have already invested in Wentz but are they having doubts? There were rumblings last year that maybe there might be some chemistry issues in the locker room. Then when you factor in injuries it might not be the worst idea to sell high on Wentz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    The Eagles have already invested in Wentz but are they having doubts? There were rumblings last year that maybe there might be some chemistry issues in the locker room. Then when you factor in injuries it might not be the worst idea to sell high on Wentz.
    Not after 2 games, I don't think.

Given his contract he could be traded next year at the earliest, and it would still leave $32 million in dead cap. Any year after that and you're losing the advantage of Hurts rookie contract; that's why I doubt he was drafted to replace Wentz.

I've always figured the Eagles would undergo a rebuilding period, because Howie poured a lot of resources into the SB-winning team, and all that shifting of cap money was going to come back at some point. Now with the cap shrinking due to COVID-19, it will hit twice as hard.

So there were always going to be a couple of years at least where Wentz was playing with an average-at-best roster. It's similar to what happened with Russell Wilson around 2016-17. But Wilson kept his team competitive regardless, which so far can't be said of Wentz.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 09-23-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Not after game 2, I don't think.

Given his contract he could be traded next year at the earliest, and it would still leave $32 million in dead cap. Any year after that and you're losing the advantage of Hurts rookie contract; that's why I doubt he was drafted to replace Wentz.

I've always figured the Eagles would undergo a rebuilding period, because Howie poured a lot of resources into the SB-winning team, and all that shifting of cap money was going to come back at some point. Now with the cap shrinking due to COVID-19, it will hit twice as hard.

So there were always going to be a couple of years at least where Wentz was playing with an average-at-best roster. It's similar to what happened with Russell Wilson around 2016-17. But Wilson kept his team competitive regardless, which so far can't be said of Wentz.
    So far? Do people already forget last season? Did Wentz not keep them competitive?

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    So far? Do people already forget last season? Did Wentz not keep them competitive?
    In the weakest division in football? Very meh season.

I can see your perspective on this, but I think when you look at an NFL team, where is, or at least should, most of the money be spent:

Franchise QB
    #1 Wide Receiver
    Franchise left tackle
    Stud Pass rusher (4-3 DE, 3-4 OLB)
    Shut down #1 cornerback

That is not to say you don't spend money elsewhere on some things, but there are some positions in the NFL that make no sense in spending big dollars on.
    Eichel Tower

I mean so far this season.

Right now this team's talent level is worse than in 2019.

But also in the NFC West, Wentz's 2019 performance wouldn't have been enough for a winning record.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 09-23-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I can see your perspective on this, but I think when you look at an NFL team, where is, or at least should, most of the money be spent:

Franchise QB
    #1 Wide Receiver
    Franchise left tackle
    Shut down #1 cornerback

That is not to say you don't spend money elsewhere on some things, but there are some positions in the NFL that make no sense in spending big dollars on.
    If I was an NFL GM, I'd focus my drafting on QB, DE, OT, CB, WR, and focus on the other positions in free agency.

At the end of the day, you need to field 22+ players, and if you can sign 3 good players for the price of 1 good QB, that is a big advantage.

I've been saying for a while that having a competent QB on a rookie deal is one of the biggest advantages in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post

Franchise QB
    #1 Wide Receiver
    Franchise left tackle
    Shut down #1 cornerback

Pricey #1WRs almost never win anything in the salary cap era. The elite WRs of the 2000s (Moss, TO, Smith, Ocho, Fitz, Megatron) had a combined 4 SB appearances and 0 wins. The elite WRs of the 2010s (Green, AB, Julio, OBJ, MT) have a combined 1 SB appearance, 0 wins, and only like 3 combined CCG appearances.

It's hard to let a great WR walk, but they honestly make your team too predictable and when they get hurt you don't usually have resources spread elsewhere. Atlanta is one of the few teams I've seen pay their elite WR and still be able to keep an elite WR corps.

I mean so far this season.

Right now this team's talent level is worse than in 2019.

But also in the NFC West, Wentz's 2019 performance wouldn't have been enough for a winning record.
    While that may be true, we can only go off of what happened.

Heck, Wentz may be broken but week 2 in a season with no offseason workouts, no preseason, an already revolving door of OL, RB and wideouts is far too early to make any claims.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    In the weakest division in football? Very meh season.
    Yet managed to outplay Dak, the week 3 mvp.

While that may be true, we can only go off of what happened.

Heck, Wentz may be broken but week 2 in a season with no offseason workouts, no preseason, an already revolving door of OL, RB and wideouts is far too early to make any claims.
    That's not really an excuse for his bad decision making and reckless play.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast