Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    Remember before the season when all the talk was "OMG, the bullpen is going to be bad, Lester is old, the rotation doesn't have depth..." and I said the biggest issue with this team, by far, is going to be their ability to consistently score runs.

Yeah, welcome to my island, everyone.
    I don't recall you predicting KB, Javy, Willson, and Rizzo all not hitting this year.

And yeah, the problems with the pitching exist too. In the long run, I still anticipate it would be the biggest problem with the team (as opposed to our stars continuing not to hit). In the case of this season, we have two months of sample size, so those things will happen.

With that said, pretty amazing how miserable everyone is when the Cubs have run away with the division all year.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 09-24-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/statu...757111813?s=21

Once the new ESPN deal is finished, MLB will get over $2 billion annually just from FOX, ESPN, and TBS from 2022-2028. That comes out to about $70 million per team per year.

That only includes a portion of the digital rights money and doesn’t include Mlb network or mlbam revenues, or anything local.

If you use this estimate for Cubs local TV team revenue/profits, the Cubs are probably looking at the neighborhood of $200 million per year in overall television rights starting in 2022. Just something to keep in mind while they talk about all their 2020 financial losses all winter.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-upd...for-mlb-teams/
    I hope you're ready for a bunch of, "well, we like to look at each our our businesses independently, we can't just take profits from our Marquee business or our Wrigleyville real estate business and invest it into the Cubs business."

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I don't recall you predicting KB, Javy, Willson, and Rizzo all not hitting this year.

And yeah, the problems with the pitching exist too. In the long run, I still anticipate it would be the biggest problem with the team (as opposed to our stars continuing not to hit). In the case of this season, we have two months of sample size, so those things will happen.

With that said, pretty amazing how miserable everyone is when the Cubs have run away with the division all year.
    I mean, people tend to get down watching their team collect 3 or 4 hits a game the last two weeks.

And you know as soon as they erupt for 9 runs on 15 hits... Lol. Murphy's Law.

Seriously, though. A little offense would go a long way towards lightening the mood.

Ross threw darts for his lineup today..lol
    Happ tweaked an ankle so he sits
    Maybe theyll score 3 today

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1309...183441409?s=09

Is it still just bad luck or just not getting it done/aggressive enough?

https://twitter.com/cubprospects/sta...067255808?s=19

https://twitter.com/cubprospects/sta...833480200?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

No one has ever claimed the only thing that's occurring is bad luck. There's some bad luck in play. There's some bad processes occurring as well. I think the two are especially working in tandem right now. I think bad luck has given way to even more bad process, as guys press in short season. So we're seeing things compound.

Cubs slugging .393 on middle middle fastballs last 20 games. The Dodgers are .939 in that same span. Even an average team like the Cardinals slugging .549 on those same pitches last 20 games.

That’s eye opening

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    No one has ever claimed the only thing that's occurring is bad luck. There's some bad luck in play. There's some bad processes occurring as well. I think the two are especially working in tandem right now. I think bad luck has given way to even more bad process, as guys press in short season. So we're seeing things compound.
    I'll agree with that, some bad luck and pressing

But, I do think there something going on with their approach with taking alot of fastballs and swinging at a ton of breaking stuff off the plate

Whether they're up there guessing wrong or whateverit is they're being told to do, that approach needs to change
    Last edited by chibears55; 09-24-2020 at 01:24 PM.

But, I do think there something going on with their approach with taking alot of fastballs and swinging at a ton of breaking stuff off the plate

Whether they're up there guessing wrong or whateverit is they're being told to do, that approach needs to change
    It’s less about chasing balls than it is about taking strikes. They are average in terms of swinging at pitches outside the zone, but they have the 2nd lowest swing rate in mlb on Strikes. They also see the 2nd fewest strikes of all teams.

White Sox have DFA’d pitchers Steve Cishek and Ross Detweiler

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post

Yeah, who could have possibly predicted that the thing that happens every year would happen this?

It's not about any particular player, it's about the entire offense. There is nothing new this season. They might be getting worse, but these are all the same problems they've had for years.

And I'm not miserable. I'm excited about the playoffs. I hope this team goes on another magical run. But if they get booted from the playoffs, it's not going to be because the bullpen blew a big lead, or the rotation isn't deep enough, it's going to be because the offense will do something like score 4 runs in 3 days.

According to the Cubs and the coaching there has been no shift in approach. It's the players. I think, again, a lot of this is pressing. You have guys guessing and confused, and they're in their heads. Bad luck and bad results have given away to bad process. These guys mash fastballs. This shouldn't be the case. They're not wet towels.

But I think this is especially where a 60 game slate is hurting. Guys are used to more time to fix their overall stats and are trying to hit .350, with 8 home runs and 15 RBI in one swing to get their numbers up. And now we're left with a lot of bad processes at the plate.

Rizzo is starting to turn it on. Maybe he can be a legit difference maker down the stretch.

9/21-9/24 - Cubs (31-22) at Pirates (15-38) IGT - Just. ****ing. Win.

114 mph off the bat from Rizzo’s first pitch swing line out.

xBA of .820 on that ball.

That was bad luck.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    Yeah, who could have possibly predicted that the thing that happens every year would happen this?

It's not about any particular player, it's about the entire offense. There is nothing new this season. They might be getting worse, but these are all the same problems they've had for years.

And I'm not miserable. I'm excited about the playoffs. I hope this team goes on another magical run. But if they get booted from the playoffs, it's not going to be because the bullpen blew a big lead, or the rotation isn't deep enough, it's going to be because the offense will do something like score 4 runs in 3 days.
    It’s absolutely about particular players. Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Schwarber, Contreras. Those are the stars and all have been awful this year. Nobody could have predicted that because these guys have not been the problem in past years. It is new this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast