Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

The buyout window opens September 25. Do we buy anyone out?

The buyout window opens on September 25th. Do we do anything? Would YOU do ?

If it’s me, I’m not buying anyone out. Seems like a lot of people are quick to say Lundqvist but I wouldn’t do it. I would sit him down and tell him: hey we have 3 goalies, Shesterkin is our starter and unless you are willing to be the backup and being the backup means taking a huge payout it’s in your best bet to agree to a trade. If not we’ll run with 3 goalies because we are NOT gonna buy you out and carry dead cap this year & next.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    If it’s me, I’m not buying anyone out. Seems like a lot of people are quick to say Lundqvist but I wouldn’t do it. I would sit him down and tell him: hey we have 3 goalies, Shesterkin is our starter and unless you are willing to be the backup and being the backup means taking a huge payout it’s in your best bet to agree to a trade. If not we’ll run with 3 goalies because we are NOT gonna buy you out and carry dead cap this year & next.
    I don't understand? How would that work? We'd give him money to be a backup? And we're better off with Georigiev as our backup anyway. And as far as a trade goes even if we'd eat half his salary,who would want him? I love and respect all Hank has done for us but his best day's are far behind him,I don't think he's a starting goaltender anymore,who would pay him to be a backup? If I'm JD I beg him to retire with the promise of a terrific human relations job afterwards. Does he agree to this? I don't know that anyone would be willing to leave that kind of money on the table
    Last edited by runnermjr1296; 09-20-2020 at 02:52 PM.

With Lundqvist his cap hit is 8.5 mil. but his actual salary after his 1 mil. bonus is 4.5 mil. I think there are teams that would be willing to trade for him should he accept a deal to their team—-Again should he accept. If we were to buy him out he would count against the cap for 5 mil. this year and 1.5 mil next( this is according to the blueseatsblog article titled More rumors pointing to a Henrik Lundqvist buyout )So what I’m saying is I rather pay him his 4.5 mil. actual and ride his 8.5 mil. cap this year and be done with it. Who knows maybe at the trade deadline we’ll find a taker if not sooner. But at least we will be done with his contract this coming year, and not have to worry about how it will effect us the following year.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 09-20-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    With Lundqvist his cap hit is 8.5 mil. but his actual salary after his 1 mil. bonus is 4.5 mil. I think there are teams that would be willing to trade for him should he accept a deal to their team—-Again should he accept. If we were to buy him out he would count against the cap for 5 mil. this year and 1.5 mil next( this is according to the blueseatsblog article titled More rumors pointing to a Henrik Lundqvist buyout )So what I’m saying is I rather pay him his 4.5 mil. actual and ride his 8.5 mil. cap this year and be done with it. Who knows maybe at the trade deadline we’ll find a taker if not sooner. But at least we will be done with his contract this coming year, and not have to worry about how it will effect us the following year.
    Ok I understand,there is an interesting article in today's NY Post about this very same thing.Maybe we have to add a draft pick to sweeten the deal a bit,but yes I agree,I'd rather take the hit this year and be done with the contract and not have to worry about in 2021-2022

If you ever watch How I Met Your Mother, it’s like when Barney lost a bet and Marshall had to slap him 5x. He took the option of being slapped 5x on 5 difference occasions, stupid choice—I would have taken all 5 in one shot. By the time Marshall slapped him the second time his hand was have been tired and his hand would have hurting meaning the last 3 won’t have been so hard AND AND Barney would have gotten it over and done with, instead he chose the 5 different occasions and by the time it got to the 5th one Barney was practically having a nervous brake down over the thought of when it would come.

I was listening to the Hockey Guy on Youtube. Looks like both Henrik Lundqvist and Brendan Smith will be bought out. That will free up $5M of cap space.

I'm guessing that will give the Rangers some room to figure out the second line center situation.

The Rangers have some options. Whoever starts on the second line with Freniere and Kakko will be estatic.

Also losing Brendan Smith will allow the Rangers to bring up K'Andre Miller.

Not sure if I like the Fox-Lindgren pairing on the first line but right now, it's the best combo the Rangers have got.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    I was listening to the Hockey Guy on Youtube. Looks like both Henrik Lundqvist and Brendan Smith will be bought out. That will free up $5M of cap space.

I'm guessing that will give the Rangers some room to figure out the second line center situation.

The Rangers have some options. Whoever starts on the second line with Freniere and Kakko will be estatic.

Also losing Brendan Smith will allow the Rangers to bring up K'Andre Miller.

Not sure if I like the Fox-Lindgren pairing on the first line but right now, it's the best combo the Rangers have got.

Interesting. I would imagine Smith could be traded too with the cap hit / salary being what it is.

Hard to see Miller being brought up to the big show without any time in Hartford; would be great tho with Staal being moved.

Also, ideally, Fox-Lindgren as your 2nd pair with Trouba, with an actual, viable, partner to play with would be the first pair. Either way, things are in motion and its exciting. Still cant believe they moved Staal...

I agree with you, Smith’s cap hit this year—the last year of his contract is 4.35 mil. but his actual salary is 2.35 mil. any team looking to get to the cap floor( Ottawa needs to get to the cap floor) would be willing to take on that. But even if we are not able to trade him it makes no sense to buy him out, we face a cap hit of 2.78 mil. this year and 783k next if we brought him out. if we sent him down to the AHL we would save 1 mil. in cap but we’d be done with him after this season.
    Bottom line:
    If brought out cap hit is 2.78 mil. & 783k each of the next 2 yrs total 3.5 mil.
    If sent to the AHL cap hit is 3.35 mil just this year.
    The difference in cap hit of buying him out vs. burying him in the minors is 570k this year is that worth it when next year he would carry a cap hit of 783k vs. 0 is he was buried in the AHL is year.

As of now it looks like ADA will be back so:
    Xxxxxx—-Trouba
    Lindgren—Fox
    Xxxx—-ADA

Looks like ADA will be breaking in a LHD with Miller, Reunanen, Rykov, Hejuk & Crawley fighting for it.
    That #1 LHD spot I can see us bringing in a vet.—it would be too many minutes for a rookie to play tho’ we did break in both Lindgren & Fox last year.

There is a rumor that Chicago might buyout Olli Maatta. 26 yr old LHD who played under Jacque Martin in Pittsburgh and was on their 2 Stanley Cup teams. He has 2yrs and 8 mil left on his contract. In theory, in theory we could make the same deal for Maatta that we made for Staal. Maatta and a 2021 4th Rd pick for futures consideration.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 09-27-2020 at 06:30 PM.

A lot of rumors came out yesterday that we were buying Lundqvist out today. As I said before I personally don’t see enough of a cap clearing hit (3 mil.) to justify buying him out. There’s got to be either a trade coming or we are signing a free agent because once we traded Staal, his 5.7 mil. cap hit should have cleared enough room to re-sign all of our RFA’s.

Henrik Lundqvist bought out.