Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    I obviously haven't watched any practices so if Teddy won the job so be it. This is assuming of course that it isn't that Teddy will be the "safe" Qb and that he was simply the better qb. However, I just makes me sad cause this team is once again on the qb carousal from hell and we aren't any closer to being competitive then we were at this point last year. we know what Teddy is, and thats a well below average QB. we are going to spending another offseason dreaming of a better quarterback while not having the assets to get anything like that done since we probably end up at like the 10th to 14th pick again. Although if this rams game meant anything we would be picking #1 cause holy crap we have looked terrible.
    You may be right, but I don't think so. For years I had been advocating trading back because we need more help than great 1st and 2nd round picks (which seemed to be the focus). I have been advocating the trade back because the team seemed flimsy with no depth and not enough great & good players to make a really effective team, on the whole. Yes, we have diamonds sprinkled around the roster, but not enough consistently great & good players for the overall team to be truly competitive.
    I think that we now have enough of a solid "team" that we can be truly competitive. I think we now have enough talent throughout the roster to be good, not great, but good.
    Of course, time will tell if that is true or not (and hopefully we don't suffer significant injuries).

I really like George Paton and his approach - he seems to make really good, solid decisions. I was a fan of Elway for a while, but it became clear that he isn't good enough at that job. George Paton appears better at the job to me and this is only his first year.

I agree with BK that LBs and special teams are still a significant concern.....and the O-line.
    Last edited by dbronco; 08-30-2021 at 06:22 PM.

do you really believe this team as currently constructed has a chance at all of a super bowl? I think the absolute peak this team could ever reach is the last 2 playoff spots and while thats fun and will save Fangio's job that doesn't get us anywhere really. In fact that is just getting us further away from getting the qb we need.

do you really believe this team as currently constructed has a chance at all of a super bowl? I think the absolute peak this team could ever reach is the last 2 playoff spots and while thats fun and will save Fangio's job that doesn't get us anywhere really. In fact that is just getting us further away from getting the qb we need.
    That is a tough question.............a Super Bowl? Honestly, I guess no. But I do think we could make the playoffs. That would be a successful season to me. Yes, it would be fun. It would be a massive improvement over where we've been the last five years. I don't particularly care about Fangio's job per se, however, I don't like the constant turnover - that doesn't feel solid and good for the team. So, from the standpoint of consistency, I think keeping Fangio is a good thing.

I understand the point you're making - the point is that we will be in draft-position-purgatory. Not picking low enough to get a franchise QB and not winning enough to make picking in the teens or low 20s "worth it" being a B or B+ team.
    My response to that is we shall see. Paton is making good decisions and constantly improving the team. Today's trades are a perfect example. Converting Trinity Benson into those future draft picks is a win. So is getting help on special teams (and maybe at LB). It looks to me like he is constantly improving the team in trades, how he drafts and maneuvers in the draft, the salary cap, free agency, all of it. I am a big Paton fan at this point.
    I don't know where it is leading, but I am optimistic about how he will navigate the future. I am okay with the unknown future much more than I have been the past three years.

Would I like a franchise QB? Of course. Nevertheless, we are at the very least moving in a positive direction. Besides, when we won SB 50 we had a really good team overall and Paton seems to be doing everything possible to have a very complete and talented team throughout the entire roster.

nykol is offline PSD's D.B.F. Nostradamus
    This is a Superbowl roster outside of the most important position. Playoffs would be a successful season in my books. No rookie in next years draft is putting this team over the top, and by the time any rookie would be playing well enough to put us in that conversation, there will be enough roster turnover that it's up in the air whether or not we'd have as much talent throughout the rest of the roster. Enter the Rodgers/Watson sweepstakes, either of those 2 guys puts us in the conversation for SB contenders/favorites in 2022/23.

Quote Originally Posted by nykol View Post
    This is a Superbowl roster outside of the most important position. Playoffs would be a successful season in my books. No rookie in next years draft is putting this team over the top, and by the time any rookie would be playing well enough to put us in that conversation, there will be enough roster turnover that it's up in the air whether or not we'd have as much talent throughout the rest of the roster. Enter the Rodgers/Watson sweepstakes, either of those 2 guys puts us in the conversation for SB contenders/favorites in 2022/23.
    I mean first off there is a chance Watson could be in prison next year. Even if he isn't, trading for him would be a MASSIVE pr fiasco. 2nd Rodgers will be 38 almost 39 next year. are you giving up 3 first round picks for that? some team might. maybe the packers win the superbowl and he wants to stay another year. whats the plan if we can't get either one. we can already call lock a bust if he can't beat bridgewater. which circles us back to your comment that a rookie won't even help us out next year so this team is just permanently stuck unless it gets really lucky. which is why it would be really nice to developing a qb this year behind bridgewater. I mean who knows that maybe jones and fields both suck, but that would have at least given this team a chance without hoping for a trade miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by dbronco View Post
    That is a tough question.............a Super Bowl? Honestly, I guess no. But I do think we could make the playoffs. That would be a successful season to me. Yes, it would be fun. It would be a massive improvement over where we've been the last five years. I don't particularly care about Fangio's job per se, however, I don't like the constant turnover - that doesn't feel solid and good for the team. So, from the standpoint of consistency, I think keeping Fangio is a good thing.

I understand the point you're making - the point is that we will be in draft-position-purgatory. Not picking low enough to get a franchise QB and not winning enough to make picking in the teens or low 20s "worth it" being a B or B+ team.
    My response to that is we shall see. Paton is making good decisions and constantly improving the team. Today's trades are a perfect example. Converting Trinity Benson into those future draft picks is a win. So is getting help on special teams (and maybe at LB). It looks to me like he is constantly improving the team in trades, how he drafts and maneuvers in the draft, the salary cap, free agency, all of it. I am a big Paton fan at this point.
    I don't know where it is leading, but I am optimistic about how he will navigate the future. I am okay with the unknown future much more than I have been the past three years.

Would I like a franchise QB? Of course. Nevertheless, we are at the very least moving in a positive direction. Besides, when we won SB 50 we had a really good team overall and Paton seems to be doing everything possible to have a very complete and talented team throughout the entire roster.
    this isn't picking on you, but I hate arguments that point to one team a decade that wins a championship around defense. Especially ours. that was one of the greatest defenses of all time and it was super lucky to win the title (although as down as I am on Teddy B he should be better the PM), but this defense this year won't be close to that teams. the pass rush that year had Von miller, ware, Wolfe, malik Jackson, shane Ray, and shaquil barrett. thats so much better then Von miller(age 32), Chubb, Dremont Jones, Shelby harris, and Malik Reed. it does get kinda interesting the back of the defense though

Alexander Johnson vs Danny Trevathan
    Josey Jewell vs Brandon Marhshall
    Kyle Fuller vs Talib
    Darby vs Harris
    callahan vs Roby
    Kareem Jackson vs TJ Ward
    Justin Simmons vs Stewart
    Pat Surtain vs I don't remember

its not too bad except harris is way better then Darby.

this isn't picking on you, but I hate arguments that point to one team a decade that wins a championship around defense. Especially ours. that was one of the greatest defenses of all time and it was super lucky to win the title (although as down as I am on Teddy B he should be better the PM), but this defense this year won't be close to that teams. the pass rush that year had Von miller, ware, Wolfe, malik Jackson, shane Ray, and shaquil barrett. thats so much better then Von miller(age 32), Chubb, Dremont Jones, Shelby harris, and Malik Reed. it does get kinda interesting the back of the defense though

Alexander Johnson vs Danny Trevathan
    Josey Jewell vs Brandon Marhshall
    Kyle Fuller vs Talib
    Darby vs Harris
    callahan vs Roby
    Kareem Jackson vs TJ Ward
    Justin Simmons vs Stewart
    Pat Surtain vs I don't remember

its not too bad except harris is way better then Darby.
    First of all, no worries - I don't feel like you're picking on me. I am glad for your post.
    Second of all, I agree with everything you said.
    I wasn't attempting to make the no fly zone and this year's defense the same.

The similarity to me is not necessarily in the talent level of each guy, but rather that we have more guys with sufficient talent to be a more complete team. It is only in the sense of a more "complete team" do I compare this year's team with that year's team.
    The guy I miss the most from the SB 50 defense is Danny T.
    Nevertheless, I am really looking forward to this season.

Heading into the season, my biggest concern is C, RG, & RT.

Maybe it's fixed, but it seems like we still haven't fixed, or made wholly solid, our offensive line.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234