Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: RBG Has Died

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Republican's have 53 seats, so Democrats would need at least 4 of them to refuse to confirm. Only 2 will, so they cannot stop it.
    Collins is one because she knows she needs it to win in Maine, and it is a no lose decision on her part (not an ethical decision).

Actually setting an 18 year limit on SC appointments is the compromise solution to end the partisan fights over the SC.

Expanding the court if they win the Presidency and Senate is the F-you to Republicans option (of which I hope they do).

Roosevelt wanted 15 justices, claiming the measure was needed to clear backlogged dockets and for “a constant infusion of new blood in the courts.”

Washington Post columnist Franklyn Waltman didn’t buy it, writing, “Mr. Roosevelt’s real objective is to make the Supreme Court amenable to his will, either by forcing from that tribunal some of those who have disagreed with him, or by permitting him to offset their votes with men of his own choosing.”

The president pushed the change a month later in a fireside-chat radio address.

But the proposal was greeted with bipartisan derision. According to Marian C. McKenna, author of “Franklin Roosevelt and the Great Constitutional War: The Court-Packing Crisis of 1937,” House Judiciary Committee Chairman Hatton W. Sumners, a Democrat, refused to hear it, so it was sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee instead. There it was buried in protracted hearings led by another Democrat, Sen. Henry Ashurst.

Even Roosevelt’s vice president, John Nance Garner, was against it. While the bill was read on the Senate floor, Garner stood in the back of the chamber “holding his nose with one hand and vigorously shaking his thumb down with the other,” McKenna says.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...aster-for-him/

This is what the democrats are threatening to do, lol.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

lol, this democracy bull **** is getting exposed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Didn't the republicans have control of the senate during the Merrick Garland appointment?
    Right, so it is once again all about maintaining power (in the SC — as anyone can figure out basically as an effort to overturn things like Roe v. Wade and health care) not a decision that is made for any other reason.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...aster-for-him/

This is what the democrats are threatening to do, lol.
    That's exactly what they're trying to do. And if they can do it, great. What's the problem? You've already established doing moral unscrupulous things simply because you can is A-OK.

You tried to compare Trump appointing a SC judge, which is literally his presidential responsibility, to court packing shenanigans.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Actually setting an 18 year limit on SC appointments is the compromise solution to end the partisan fights over the SC.

Expanding the court if they win the Presidency and Senate is the F-you to Republicans option (of which I hope they do).
    I"ve always wondered why SC justice is a lifetime appointment...but then, where would one go after that?

But again, I just don't get the mindset of continuing down a path you already feel is wrong...just as an FU
    The idea should be to FIX what's wrong, not break it more.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I"ve always wondered why SC justice is a lifetime appointment...but then, where would one go after that?

But again, I just don't get the mindset of continuing down a path you already feel is wrong...just as an FU
    It's more than an FU though, it is to be able to make actual changes they feel are needed for the country (in theory at least). We are long past the idea of working together with Trumpism I think many would argue for multiple reasons (the hypocrisy shown from many senators on this topic as an example but it's one of hundreds, we know it's play to win).

The idea is moreso if they are going to play dirty to get what they want done then we will have to play dirty to get the changes we want done in return.

I wouldn't say I support it necessarily especially depending on the extremes that would be needed but we have gotten to the point many would argue the ends justify the means. Especially when the means involve acting in a similar manner to "the other side" essentially (creating an even playing field for the two sports teams we have).

RBG Has Died

Didn't the republicans have control of the senate during the Merrick Garland appointment?
    They did why didn’t they have a hearing
    and vote on Garland? Seems like Obama did his job but the Senate refused to do theirs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 09-24-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Then why didnt this happen in 2016?

You people crack me up.

Unwritten rules.

Trump has the Senate and he will get it done!

You tried to compare Trump appointing a SC judge, which is literally his presidential responsibility, to court packing shenanigans.
    No, I’m comparing the Republican Senate refusing to vote on a SC Judge, which is literally their job, to court packing.

It’s very comparable (which is why you keep pretending it didn’t happen).

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post

Again, easy to say Democrat’s should fix what’s wrong after Republicans get everything they want. Suppose Democrats don’t do this and fix it as you want. Well Republicans get Garland’s seat on the court and RBG’s. They get everything they want by being unscrupulous and Democrats get nothing.

So why should Democrats do it your way again?

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    You people crack me up.

Unwritten rules.

Trump has the Senate and he will get it done!
    What rule is that?

RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Again, easy to say Democrat’s should fix what’s wrong after Republicans get everything they want. Suppose Democrats don’t do this and fix it as you want. Well Republicans get Garland’s seat on the court and RBG’s. They get everything they want by being unscrupulous and Democrats get nothing.

So why should Democrats do it your way again?
    MY way? I simply commented on what I think should happen, it's not MY way.
    I also never said (easy or otherwise) that the Dems should fix what's wrong while Reps get everything they wanted. I'm just sick and tired of this childish 'well if they can do it so can we' partisan bull **** they ALL play...that **** drove our parents crazy when we did it as kids and that's where it should have been left.

Continuing this kinda crap is part of how we GOT here. These days the only things getting done are tearing down whatever it is the other side puts together. Screw whether it's what's best for the country, if they want it, we don't. It's freaking childish.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast