Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 64
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,951
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    The public. guess who will be more willing to spend under this arrangement and develop a vaccine faster?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would say they(big pharma) are obviously paying less under this arrangement, lol.

    This thread was started to complain about all the big fat cat pharma companies and how they get all this public funding and are set to rake in all the profits. They have plenty of money to finance their own research. It's their business, this is how they make there money. If you're mad at all the money they're set to make then maybe you shouldn't have wheelbarrowed in all that money.

    If you honestly think that these multi-billion dollar pharma companies weren't going to try to develop the mother of all vaccines on their own without public funding then I have a bridge to sell you.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    50,663
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I would say they(big pharma) are obviously paying less under this arrangement, lol.

    This thread was started to complain about all the big fat cat pharma companies and how they get all this public funding and are set to rake in all the profits. They have plenty of money to finance their own research. It's their business, this is how they make there money. If you're mad at all the money they're set to make then maybe you shouldn't have wheelbarrowed in all that money.

    If you honestly think that these multi-billion dollar pharma companies weren't going to try to develop the mother of all vaccines on their own without public funding then I have a bridge to sell you.
    I didnít complain about anything. I responded to your question- Why should the govít fund them at all? My answer is bc they will develop a vaccine faster if they are not taking risk. Iíll stand by that and assume you donít have a bridge
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,951
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I didnít complain about anything. I responded to your question- Why should the govít fund them at all? My answer is bc they will develop a vaccine faster if they are not taking risk. Iíll stand by that and assume you donít have a bridge
    There's more of an incentive to develop the vaccine faster when you are taking the risk. This is simple stuff.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    50,663
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    There's more of an incentive to develop the vaccine faster when you are taking the risk. This is simple stuff.
    Iím not sure if you are being serious


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,867
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Iím not sure if you are being serious
    He probably is. Companies are more likely to be cautious and slow when working for the government than when working for themselves.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    50,663

    How much money should big pharma make off a Vaccine developed with public funds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    He probably is. Companies are more likely to be cautious and slow when working for the government than when working for themselves.


    If you said Ewing Iíll give you 5000 if you get your bench up to 275 by Feb. Iíd try

    If you said Iíll give you 5000 if you get your bench up to 275 by Feb and Iíll pay for you to have a trainer, cook, supplements etc til then Iím more likely to succeed and succeed faster.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 09-19-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,867
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    If you said Ewing Iíll give you 5000 if you get your bench up to 275 by Feb. Iíd try

    If you said Iíll give you 5000 if you get your bench up to 275 by Feb and Iíll pay for you to have a trainer, cook, supplements etc til then Iím more likely to succeed and succeed faster.
    There is your government $5k and trainer, etc.

    On the negative consequences side: Get your bench up to 275 by Feb or you'll be homeless and starving

    On the positive consequences side: You do it on your own and I'll give you $50,000.

    I think you'd work pretty hard to not be homeless and starving even without the government assistance.

    But this one is more like the $50k one ... do it yourself and win BIG or get help and win a little.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    50,663

    How much money should big pharma make off a Vaccine developed with public funds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    There is your government $5k and trainer, etc.

    On the negative consequences side: Get your bench up to 275 by Feb or you'll be homeless and starving

    On the positive consequences side: You do it on your own and I'll give you $50,000.

    I think you'd work pretty hard to not be homeless and starving even without the government assistance.

    But this one is more like the $50k one ... do it yourself and win BIG or get help and win a little.


    Why would I be homeless and starving either way?

    Why would the reward be so much more if a paid for development myself?
    Either way you developing the same product then selling it

    Sometimes the govít is the bad guy. That doesnít mean they always are or their involvement only brings negative things. subsidizing research and development doesnít make creating a vaccine less likely or slower in development. You are just being counter intuitive.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 09-19-2020 at 05:47 PM.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,867
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Why would I be homeless and starving either way?

    Why would the reward be so much more if a paid for development myself?
    Either way you developing the same product then selling it

    Sometimes the govít is the bad guy. That doesnít mean they always are or their involvement only brings negative things. subsidizing research and development doesnít make creating a vaccine less likely or slower in development. You are just being counter intuitive.
    It's a hypothetical like yours. If you don't earn money you end up homeless and starving.

    I did say I was okay with the govt funding this, just that it's not clear that it would make it faster to market or not. It's not counter intuitive to say that government contractors do not necessarily work faster than independents.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    50,663

    How much money should big pharma make off a Vaccine developed with public funds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It's a hypothetical like yours. If you don't earn money you end up homeless and starving.

    I did say I was okay with the govt funding this, just that it's not clear that it would make it faster to market or not. It's not counter intuitive to say that government contractors do not necessarily work faster than independents.
    I dont think your hypothetical make sense.

    These companies donít need to make a vaccine to survive anymore then I need to get my bench up. No one is ending up homeless. Thatís the point. Left to there own they will only invest in development if they think making money is a good bet.

    I also donít think there is a gap in return the way you were saying either. The company that makes the vaccine will sell it either way. If they are seeded it is pure profit.

    This is not a comparison of government contractors verses independents. It the same people either having to invest there own money or or being given the means to produce.

    They are more likely to succeed and succeed quickly if you make there investment risk free. Their is no reason for them to invest elsewhere, worry about not succeeding and what the loss would be, or balance investments verse returns. Are they going to steal some? Yep but itís a loss you takev


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 09-19-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,867
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I dont think your hypothetical make sense.

    These companies donít need to make a vaccine to survive anymore then I need to get my bench up. No one is ending up homeless. Thatís the point. Left to there own they will only invest in development if they think making money is a good bet.

    I also donít think there is a gap in return the way you were saying either. The company that makes the vaccine will sell it either way. If they are seeded it is pure profit.

    This is not a comparison of government contractors verses independents. It the same people either having to invest there own money or or being given the means to produce.

    They are more likely to succeed and succeed quickly if you make there investment risk free. Their is no reason for them to invest elsewhere, worry about not succeeding and what the loss would be, or balance investments verse returns. Are they going to steal some? Yep but itís a loss you takev
    The homeless thing was because you were talking about them taking a risk of losing money. Drug companies are used to taking risks.

    It's true I'm presuming they will take/make more if they develop the vaccine on their own.

    At any rate all of this is hypothetical and doesn't matter now since it's in the past.
    Last edited by Scoots; 09-19-2020 at 11:43 PM.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The homeless thing was because you were talking about them taking a risk of losing money. Drug companies are used to taking risks.

    It's true I'm presuming they will take/make more if they develop the vaccine on their own.

    At any rate all of this is hypothetical and doesn't matter now since it's in the past.
    If they made the vaccine on their own, they don't have to show any part of their books to ANYone, so nobody but them has a clue what their costs are. As little oversight as the government will give them, it won't be zero.

    This isn't really in the past, it's ongoing...regardless, we still have no control and will have no actual information on any numbers.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    50,743
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I've consistently referred to myself as somewhat of a libertarian.
    Ah I thought you wanted to get away from it. Got it. What do you think of Jo Jorgensen?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,867
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    If they made the vaccine on their own, they don't have to show any part of their books to ANYone, so nobody but them has a clue what their costs are. As little oversight as the government will give them, it won't be zero.

    This isn't really in the past, it's ongoing...regardless, we still have no control and will have no actual information on any numbers.
    What's in the past is the government giving them money.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    36,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The homeless thing was because you were talking about them taking a risk of losing money. Drug companies are used to taking risks.

    It's true I'm presuming they will take/make more if they develop the vaccine on their own.

    At any rate all of this is hypothetical and doesn't matter now since it's in the past.
    Your analogy needs to comport with the reality of the scenario otherwise it's useless.

    Name a pharmaceutical company that is going to go out of business for not developing a covid vaccine?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •