Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I don’t think anyone is criticizes him for his stance or wanting to honor a fallen soldier. I think people are questioning why he chose not to take part in the act of unity to try and bring awareness to another issue. Why couldn’t he find another way or another time to do so? Why couldn’t he do both?

I wouldn’t run into your grandfathers funeral to give you a heads up that someone else’s grandpa’s funeral was being held down the street. Sure, that other family losing their grandpa is sad too but it wouldn’t be decent or appropriate for obvious reasons.
    Exactly

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

I don’t think anyone is criticizes him for his stance or wanting to honor a fallen soldier. I think people are questioning why he chose not to take part in the act of unity to try and bring awareness to another issue. Why couldn’t he find another way or another time to do so? Why couldn’t he do both?
    I think people in this very thread have condemned him for doing just that.

If he disagrees with the whole, why does he have to fake support it? That's illogical.

Why can't he do it right now? This is his experience and what he believes in, seems silly to condemn one but praise another.

Again, why would he support something he directly disagrees with?

I wouldn’t run into your grandfathers funeral to give you a heads up that someone else’s grandpa’s funeral was being held down the street. Sure, that other family losing their grandpa is sad too but it wouldn’t be decent or appropriate for obvious reasons.
    Yup. I stated earlier that I have 0 problem of when he wants to raise awareness of that, but the NFL does a whole month of Salute the Troops that are available, and other USAA commercials Villy hasn't been top forthcoming about doing it.

Maybe he doesn't want to support some thug involved in a shooting and who ran from police. I don't blame him. Wish more athletes would truly speak their mind like him rather than following along with everyone else like blind sheep.

I can understand people being upset that he went a different direction altogether (veterans instead of a different cop shooting victim), but given that the team was sponsoring one person, the funeral analogy is a little different. It'd be more like if I made you honor my dead grandmother despite the fact that she died being a horrible person and had literally just killed someone else's grandpa.

It's clear the Steelers half assed their research and apparently AV was the only one who realized he was being asked to support someone who died by being tied to a gang shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I can understand people being upset that he went a different direction altogether (veterans instead of a different cop shooting victim), but given that the team was sponsoring one person, the funeral analogy is a little different. It'd be more like if I made you honor my dead grandmother despite the fact that she died being a horrible person and had literally just killed someone else's grandpa.

It's clear the Steelers half assed their research
    and apparently AV was the only one who realized he was being asked to support someone who died by being tied to a gang shooting.
    If we're taking the history of every name in that list form the NFL then the NFL went half *** on their research as well and just picked someone of color killed by cops in every city with an NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    If we're taking the history of every name in that list form the NFL then the NFL went half *** on their research as well and just picked someone of color killed by cops in every city with an NFL team.
    You're absolutely right, the NFL doesn't get off the hook easy for that with me. I'm just referring to the fact that Pouncey basically said all he knew about the case was that he was from Pittsburgh and was killed by police. Why would you wear someone's name if you know nothing about them.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    You literally just described the BLM movement lol

You're absolutely right, the NFL doesn't get off the hook easy for that with me. I'm just referring to the fact that Pouncey basically said all he knew about the case was that he was from Pittsburgh and was killed by police. Why would you wear someone's name if you know nothing about them.
    From what I understand in reading the whole thing was haphazard and slapped together at the last moment (not from the Steelers but the NFL). A lot of players didn't really have time to properly vet what they were supporting (Pouncey alluded to this).

The NFL should have allowed BLM, Equality, Say her name, and other phrases like that as opposed to names. I think that the downside of names is exactly what we are seeing with picking apart the person rather than the intended focus of a person of color being shot in the back.

Yes whoever within the Steelers picked this name screwed up. The list the NFL gave out was a very bad list and quite restrictive. The NFL was going to get this in any way IMO because of the use of names rather than phrases like the NBA did. The 'funny' part of this is the Cowboys proposed every team wear a sticker that said "arm in arm" and it was shot down. Then the NFL approved the names on bumpers on Aug 31st, and the list came after (I'm struggling to find an exact date for when it came).

I'd be interested in what players wore what names on their helmets. Not as a 'whataboutism' thing but it would be interesting if Rose's name was on anyone else's helmets, or how their decision making process went.

It's clear the Steelers half assed their research and apparently AV was the only one who realized he was being asked to support someone who died by being tied to a gang shooting.
    It's much more likely Villanueva is skeptical of BLM to begin with, rather than him being the only one who "did his research". Remember he didn't participate in the Steelers' team protest either, but snuck out of the locker room alone to stand for the anthem.

Like I said, I don't really have a problem that he did what he did. It's mostly symbolic anyway. But how he did it shows he puts himself above the team. That however isn't really a big deal either, because we're talking about pro sports here.

What really concerns me, apart from all the off-topic stuff written in this thread, is the notion that Antwon Rose Jr. legitimately being a bad person, which I don't deny, somehow makes it alright that he got killed by the police, i.e. the actual issue BLM tries to tackle. The police aren't judge and jury as well; they can't sentence you to death without a trial. This just reveals how little right-wingers actually believe in "law and order".

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    You literally just described the BLM movement lol
    The movement and using names to bring attention to it are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    It's much more likely Villanueva is skeptical of BLM to begin with, rather than him being the only one who "did his research". Remember he didn't participate in the Steelers' team protest either, but snuck out of the locker room alone to stand for the anthem.

Like I said, I don't really have a problem that he did what he did. It's mostly symbolic anyway. But how he did it shows he puts himself above the team. That however isn't really a big deal either, because we're talking about pro sports here.

What really concerns me, apart from all the off-topic stuff written in this thread, is the notion that Antwon Rose Jr. legitimately being a bad person, which I don't deny, somehow makes it alright that he got killed by the police, i.e. the actual issue BLM tries to tackle. The police aren't judge and jury as well; they can't sentence you to death without a trial. This just reveals how little right-wingers actually believe in "law and order".
    Well said my man. Well said. That's how I feel about all of this. Only spot: the team was in the tunnel not in the lockerroom.

I mean, he is a combat veteran, so good on him.

Exactly.

Very well put, most coherent explanation I've heard in awhile. I'd say the main issue is, like most fractured not well organized movements, is that gets lost among all the other crap going on.

The main point of the movement is valid, it's just it's difficult for it to stand alone when so many other issues get pushed in front of, before ya know it the original cause and movement don't even stand for what they originally did or are way out in left field.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    I mean, he is a combat veteran, so good on him.

Exactly.

Very well put, most coherent explanation I've heard in awhile. I'd say the main issue is, like most fractured not well organized movements, is that gets lost among all the other crap going on.

The main point of the movement is valid, it's just it's difficult for it to stand alone when so many other issues get pushed in front of, before ya know it the original cause and movement don't even stand for what they originally did or are way out in left field.
    Nope. The flag or anthem is not for him or fellow veterans. Period. It is not theirs. It is not his. Nor does standing for a song signify more patriotism.

Simple.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Yup. Well said.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast