Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 191
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    13,866

    Steelers' Alejandro Villanueva covers name of police shooting victim on helmet

    "Steelers' Alejandro Villanueva covers name of police shooting victim on helmet with name of military veteran" https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...itary-veteran/

    I didn't watch the game on Monday night so I didn't see this live or if there was any discussion of it already but, man, that's dumb.

    I get honoring the military, but the NFL has done that for years and years and they continue to do it so I don't get Villanueva's decision to cover up the name and put someone else's over it who already has been honored greatly since their death in the form of a silver star (not to mention it's not really an issue of social justice, which is the whole point of the names on the back of the helmet).

    Alejandro Villanueva is a good offensive lineman but it's starting to be pretty clear he's not that great of a person.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    60,350
    I wouldn’t say he’s not a great person but it’s really annoying as some players said he did it without telling them.

    He’s a FA after this year. I know his teammates like him but he’s been at the center of two controversies by bucking what the ready of the team did so I can see him not being back.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,204
    How does this make him a bad person? Rose was involved in a gang drive-by shooting and had gun residue on his hands and DNA on one of the guns. Just because he got shot by police doesn't mean he's a hero and that a player should endorse his name.

    Besides, I didn't realize the NFL/teams were picking the names in the first place, I thought the players were choosing to do it as individuals. If a player wants/doesn't want someone's name on their helmet that should be their choice.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    60,350
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    How does this make him a bad person? Rose was involved in a gang drive-by shooting and had gun residue on his hands and DNA on one of the guns. Just because he got shot by police doesn't mean he's a hero and that a player should endorse his name.

    Besides, I didn't realize the NFL/teams were picking the names in the first place, I thought the players were choosing to do it as individuals. If a player wants/doesn't want someone's name on their helmet that should be their choice.
    Steelers agreed to do it as a team not individuals.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    27,469
    Its a direct slap in the face to the entire movement. Its ignorant. Its tone deaf. Its the same ******** as "all lives matter ".

    It isnt a movement about veterans falling in the line of duty.


    Its a complete **** move.

    Of course, the people that want athletes to "shut up and dribble" will love this.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Steelers agreed to do it as a team not individuals.
    The question is if he agreed to it or if the team decided to take a mob mentality and vote on it. If he never agreed to it, **** the rest of the team.

    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Its a direct slap in the face to the entire movement. Its ignorant. Its tone deaf. Its the same ******** as "all lives matter ".

    It isnt a movement about veterans falling in the line of duty.


    Its a complete **** move.

    Of course, the people that want athletes to "shut up and dribble" will love this.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Let's step away from "the movement" and look at this for what it really is. Villanueva doesn't want to endorse someone involved in a gang shooting, and I don't blame him one bit. It's a bad move on the Steelers to try to force this on a player.

    As for "the movement", they could find a more deserving person to support. He was involved in a shooting a fled the scene, regardless of how we feel about cops or when they can/cant shoot people, a fleeing shooting suspect is a potential threat. This isn't a case of someone who was wrongfully murdered for just fleeing a traffic ticket. Pushing cases like this to the front of "the movement" isn't helping the cause.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    60,350
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    The question is if he agreed to it or if the team decided to take a mob mentality and vote on it. If he never agreed to it, **** the rest of the team.



    Let's step away from "the movement" and look at this for what it really is. Villanueva doesn't want to endorse someone involved in a gang shooting, and I don't blame him one bit. It's a bad move on the Steelers to try to force this on a player.

    As for "the movement", they could find a more deserving person to support. He was involved in a shooting a fled the scene, regardless of how we feel about cops or when they can/cant shoot people, a fleeing shooting suspect is a potential threat. This isn't a case of someone who was wrongfully murdered for just fleeing a traffic ticket. Pushing cases like this to the front of "the movement" isn't helping the cause.
    They all agreed to it. Again teammates said they were shocked to see he did it. Certainly he went counter without telling everyone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    60,350
    https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...name-reaction/

    Mind you these had to be approved by the NFL as well. So AV might see a fine for this.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...name-reaction/

    Mind you these had to be approved by the NFL as well. So AV might see a fine for this.
    I have two thoughts on it from your article:

    “As an organization, and myself as the head coach of the organization, we’re going to support our players however they chose to participate and express themselves, or to not participate or not express themselves, as long as they do so thoughtfully and with class,” said Tomlin Tuesday.
    First, Tomlin (and Ben) handled this perfectly. Let people be themselves.

    However Rose’s mother criticized Villanueva after the game on her Facebook page.

    “Let me very very very clear,” Michelle Kenney wrote. “The Pittsburgh Steelers took a team vote. Obviously, one person didn’t like the results so they chose to do something different. I have nothing against vets and absolutely appreciate everything that they have done and continue to do for us. But this one person showed us exactly who he is and obviously he didn’t approve of how the vote turned out.”
    Second, considering this was clearly a mob mentality vote rather than a unified decision, **** anyone who has an issue with Villanueva. If a team majority voted to all wear ignorant "all lives matter" decals, would anyone really expect those who opposed it to participate? That's why we don't have a democracy, just because the majority wants something doesn't mean it should be enforced.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    60,350
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I have two thoughts on it from your article:



    First, Tomlin (and Ben) handled this perfectly. Let people be themselves.



    Second, considering this was clearly a mob mentality vote rather than a unified decision, **** anyone who has an issue with Villanueva. If a team majority voted to all wear ignorant "all lives matter" decals, would anyone really expect those who opposed it to participate? That's why we don't have a democracy, just because the majority wants something doesn't mean it should be enforced.
    I really disagree on this by the reaction of his teammates. He did it without them knowing and that’s clearly a problem. And it’s not twice where Tomlin told them whatever they do, do it as a team and AV did the opposite. He may be a war hero and army vet, but he’s having problems being a team player with this stuff.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    27,469
    He's directly spitting in the face of the movement. All lives matter, amirite? Same thing with the anthem ********.

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    13,948
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    He's directly spitting in the face of the movement. All lives matter, amirite? Same thing with the anthem ********.
    oh bull ****, he's not spitting in anyone's face
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    13,948
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I really disagree on this by the reaction of his teammates. He did it without them knowing and that’s clearly a problem. And it’s not twice where Tomlin told them whatever they do, do it as a team and AV did the opposite. He may be a war hero and army vet, but he’s having problems being a team player with this stuff.
    maybe so, but I can guarantee that saying they 'all' agreed to do this as a team was never reality, quite obviously....my bet is there are others that didn't agree, but rolled with it anyway..........and the quote saying this shows 'who he is'? please....
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    60,350
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    maybe so, but I can guarantee that saying they 'all' agreed to do this as a team was never reality, quite obviously....my bet is there are others that didn't agree, but rolled with it anyway..........and the quote saying this shows 'who he is'? please....
    There’s my thing with it. Even if some guys disagreed they took an all or none approach. Instead of being a man and telling the team captains, coaches, and FO about what he wanted to do, he just went and did it. I think blaming the team for a player “going rogue” like that is a bit of a disservice to the team.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    19,329
    Good for Alejandro. He did what he thought was right. That's what men do. Take some notes, Drew Brees.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

    Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •