Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2020-21 Offseason

I was hoping to do some speculating on next year. Hopefully Stearns will look to add a few impactful players and not a handful of cheaper wildcards.

It is obviously a little early and I'm not giving up on this year just looking ahead to early.

Finance Breakdown
    Yeli 14 million (jumps to 26 in 22')
    Cain 15 million (2 years left) I think some of the money is deferred
    Garcia 10.25 (1 year)
    Lindblom 3.04 (2 years)
    Suter 1.5 (3 years thru arby)
    Peralta (1.2, 4 or 5 years left)

Arbitration
    Hader Arby 2, made 4 last year (3 years left)
    Knebel Arby 4, made 5.125 last year (1 year left)
    Narvaez Arby 2, made 2.725, (2 years left)
    Pina Arby 3, made 1.85, (1 year left)
    Claudio Arby 3, made 1.75, (1 year left)
    Arcia Arby 2, made 2.2, (2 years left)
    Woodruff Arby 1 (4 years left)

Options
    Gyorko 4.5 million or 1 millon buyout
    Sogard 4.5 million or 500k buyout
    Braun 15 (mutual option) or 4 million buyout
    Gamel 2.55 (buyout?)

Everyone else is under club control, we also have to pay 1.75 to Smoak and Holt for next years buyout. Anderson is the only true free agent (and Jace Peterson I guess).

So by my calcuations that is about 45 million in commitments to the 6 players under contract. Probably around 20 to players in arbitration (I would guess Knebel gets let go, Claudio, Arcia and maybe Narvaez could be release candidates to trim that number). Sogard and Braun will likely have options declined, Gyorko and Gamel would likely be picked up, so thats around 13 when you add Smoak/Holt. Add in 5-10 million for team conrolled guys making about 600k and that is somewhere in the $85 million range. Sporttrak has our 40 man payroll at 106 million this year. I know there is some more money coming from TV deals maybe someone can shed some light on but I will go on the assumption that we will have around $20 million to spend next year.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ee-agents.html

At $20 million you can probably count us out on the top 10 or so free agents. Also 1 thing to keep track of is if the DH stays (I am going to guess it does). A guy I would be very interested in is Carlos Santana, I doubt the Indians pick up his 17.5 million dollar option. He is still a good 1B and could make a Gyorko, Vogelbach (maybe), Santana split at 1B/DH (with Gyorko at 3B). I doubt Santana would be cheap but at 35 a 2/20 (which might be an overpay) would fill a middle of the order spot. Justin Turner is the only starting 3rd baseman on the market so a trade may be in order there for a younger player. I also would try and get a starter like James Paxton, Robbie Ray, Corey Kluber, Chris Archer, Mike Minor, Cole Hamels, Mashihiro Tanaka, or Garrett Richards who have TOR potential but could take 1-2 year deals with some incentives. Then add a slew of minor league contracts to try and fill gaps.

1)Cain 2)Santana (high OBP/lower BA) 3)Yeli 4)Huira 5)Garcia 6)Gyorko/Vogelbach 7)Urias/Arcia 8)Narvaez/Pina 9) 3B trade
    1) Woody 2)Burnes 3)FA (I'll say Ray) 4)Houser 5)Competition (Lindblom, Peralta, young guy or minor league)
    Hader, Williams, Rasmussen, Peralta, Suter, ??? Black, Wahl, Claudio, Perdomo, Feyersian, others)

Looks a lot better to me.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 09-16-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Really disappointing to hear Stearns press conference where he says it's possible they need to cut payroll even more. Whether or not that's true, it just feels like an early hedge that we won't be very involved in FA this year.

Any trade ideas that don't include Hader? I could see someone want Lorenzo Cain after the couple big name free agents sign (Springer/Brantley/Ozuna). We likely wouldn't get a ton back but a couple decent prospects and extra salary to spend would probably be worth it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a pitcher moved whoever I really couldn't say who maybe Houser or Peralta if someone overpays. Would it be crazy to sell extremely high on Devin Williams? Relievers can be so up and down, I love the Hader/Williams combo but would have to think about a Williams trade if we were offered 4 good pieces as well as Hader.

Any chance we go after Ha-Seong Kim, the Korean SS. Maybe I should say any chance he signs with us since there will likely be a ton of teams interested. At 25 he is young and won't cost an astronomical amount, it would be risky but looking at his stats he shouldn't be a dud.

The Winter meetings start this week so hopefully we should have some upcoming moves to discuss.

I think we'll be bargain bun shopping again this year so I'd be surprised if we hear much early. Possibly a trade, bjt outside of Hader or something pretty minor, I think it'll be quiet. We know eventually guys are goj g to be forced to sign 1 year, low salary prove it deals and we have at bats available, so I'm guessing we wait the market out and see who's left when the dust starts to settle.

I would agree we won't go big but I would rather get 2 or 3 mid range (5-10 million) deals than the 7-8 1 year small deal we did last year.

I think tomorrow is the non-tender day for arbitration deals.

Arbitration
    Hader 4= Obviously yes he will make 5+
    Knebel 5.125 = No, I would offer him a deal with incentives because I think he can still be a big time reliever
    Narvaez 2.725= Yes, based on potential but barely. His defense was good and if he can rebound offensively he could be one of the best in the league. I would be ok cutting him loose if you feel Feliciano might be ready at some point this year.
    Pina 1.85= Yes, Pina last year, I would try and give him a multi-year deal to keep one of the best backup catchers in the league.
    Claudio 1.75= No, maybe the same as last year, decline option offer him less.
    Arcia 2.2= Yes, as much as I would like to be done with him Urias didn't prove enough to warrant letting him go and Turang is to far away with no other SS options in the higher minors.
    Woodruff 1st year=Yes
    Gamel 1.85= Yes, another solid bench player, the $2 millon is borderline value but everyone likes Gamel.