Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 490
  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    27,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    Trading Robinson to have enough money to possibly sign Trubisky for 25 mil a year? Is this serious? Extending Trubisky for even more years, more money guaranteed is a death sentence. Even if he were to have a decent season by his standards you canít trust him enough to lock him up long term. Go through this nonsense for 4 more years? He would have to be pretty great every week, extremely consistent, to consider it. Itís one of the main reasons I never wanted him on the field this year, for him to show occasional flashes and give Pace a reason to extend his career legacy draft pick.
    I would not trade robinson But i think you have to conceivably leave the door open for it.... meaning Not giving the contract to robinson until the offseason when we see what Mitch has done and if we think he is the future. personally im leaning he isnt but if he plays half as good as he did in the 4th the next 15 games it is a posibility. (again im not expecting it)

    If you give Robinson a deal now You basically might as well give up on Mitch as your QB because there is no way we could afford him of Foles will have to be our QB next year with a rok Unless you tear down the whole defense to get him back.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,202
    Not about having the money to re-sign Trubisky, that shouldn't be a problem. His market value can't be high, and even if he has a good season, if it's not great, he's not getting $25 mill. More about not being pressured into overpaying Robinson, as opposed to grabbing two high draft picks. Any contract negotiation that starts with the current cap and contracts is probably going to be an overpay. Good cap management is key, and if the cap drops, it'll be even more key.

    I honestly don't believe the Bears would lowball him, but they probably are taking into account the possible cap shrinkage, and want a discount for the right now money. Which they should.
    Last edited by infinity2152; 09-15-2020 at 10:17 PM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    27,980
    The UGLY TRUTH is this may very well be the last time this defense gets a real shot to contend. So I would surely not trade away Robinson and just take the shot. at trying to win this year

    But the Bears are Projected to be OVER THE CAP by $1,354,572 next year

    Here are our biggest options for cap releif

    Kyle Fuller AT 11 mil
    Akeim Hicks at 10.5 mil
    Charles Leno at 6.2 mil
    Jimmy Greham at 7 mil
    Bobby Massie at 5.4 mil
    Scrine at 2.8

    AND IF YOUR Going the Mitch route You can probably trade Foles and save another 4 mil But the honest truth IMO is your probably better off with Foles and a rok Cap space wise even if Mitch does perform.


    Just do the math yourself. Try and Fit a 20 mil WR into that. You likely have to Cut Hicks....... Jimmy G.... and a starting OL. AND THE SCARIEST THING IS TOO....... THE BEARS ARE OVER THE CAP WITH 31 players on the roster. That means they still have to sign at minimum another 22 players in FA and the draft on top of that just to field a team.

    So even just Squeezing Robinson is isnt enough to cut down the roster to the point where you have enough cap space and players on the field. Cause you also have to Remember Every single guy you guy too has to be replaced by at least a body.

    Its going to be strange next offseason though..... It looks to me like 14 teams are projected to be over the cap. Saints and Eagles close to 70mil over. So its going to be a very strange offseason.


    ‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

    -Rem Koolhaas

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    27,980
    FWIW the Cap Was supposed to be 210 mil for 2021 But due to the pandemic The "FLOOR" could be $175 million

    Thats 35 mil just gone in and instant after a a few years of backloading contracts and expecting cap increases every year. Unfortunatly A worst case scenario which is what you have to play it by right now.... IF we had an extra 35 mil to play with next offseason it changes everything. You sign Robinson and you worry about Mitch latter cause you still have 15 mil and options.

    The Only hope is maybe that Floor ends up higher than expected and teams have closer to 190-200 to spend. If so it drastically does help our ability to resign Robinson to a fair deal. But the only way to know that is to wait till the offseason.


    ‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

    -Rem Koolhaas

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    26,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    FWIW the Cap Was supposed to be 210 mil for 2021 But due to the pandemic The "FLOOR" could be $175 million

    Thats 35 mil just gone in and instant after a a few years of backloading contracts and expecting cap increases every year. Unfortunatly A worst case scenario which is what you have to play it by right now.... IF we had an extra 35 mil to play with next offseason it changes everything. You sign Robinson and you worry about Mitch latter cause you still have 15 mil and options.

    The Only hope is maybe that Floor ends up higher than expected and teams have closer to 190-200 to spend. If so it drastically does help our ability to resign Robinson to a fair deal. But the only way to know that is to wait till the offseason.
    Owners would be ridiculous to be willing to lower the cap that far and shake up the league.

    It would be crazy!

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    45,172
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Owners would be ridiculous to be willing to lower the cap that far and shake up the league.

    It would be crazy!

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Its pretty obvious they're gonna want to drop it quite a bit. 175-180 is my guess. Free Agency and the draft are going to be ridiculous. I imagine a lot of teams are going to pony up the draft picks rather than enter bidding wars in FA.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    26,643
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Its pretty obvious they're gonna want to drop it quite a bit. 175-180 is my guess. Free Agency and the draft are going to be ridiculous. I imagine a lot of teams are going to pony up the draft picks rather than enter bidding wars in FA.
    Agreed, ***** going to get really weird

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    27,980
    One thing that is strange is just how awful it was for the NFL to announce lowering of the cap some time between Late July and Early June........... Which is 4 months after FA. I cant say for sure but the potential of a cap space of 35MIL less than this year would surely have changed Some Signings in FA Right? IDK if we commit to Robert Quinn what we did if we knew about this. But we agreed with Quinn on March 17th..... And The NFLPA Agreed on the Deal on what appears to be JUL 24.

    It just feels a little dirty. Especially considering just how many teams are in for potential cap issues next year. Looks like there are 14 teams over the 175 mil mark for 2021 right now (none with over 44 players signed) 16 of them over 170

    I feel like the NFL should try and do a better job of Spacing out the potential revenue losses instead of Forcing it all on this year. For example instead of lowering cap space for every team by 35 mil this year.....

    2021 From 210 to 205 (5 mil saved)
    2022 From 227 to 217 (10 mil saved)
    2023 From 241 to 226 (15 mil saved)
    2024 From 256 to 246 (10 mil saved)

    You Save 40 mil per team in the long run without cutting the heads off of some teams in a single year. And Hell if you needed to You could probably increase some of those later numbers too although IM sure the NFL PA would hate that.... But the fact is this single year thing is going to cause alot of guys to be forced into cuts..... Guys having limited options to sign in FA. And Overall less money to go around next year.


    ‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

    -Rem Koolhaas

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    16,617
    Pay the man! He's putting up numbers with two of the shittiest quarterbacks in the league. We'll end up picking a qb with a future pick anyway.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,908
    I want CHI to keep ARob. He is a very good WR in his prime and not having him has a bad domino effect on the rest of the WR group and the QBs.

    That said, people need to stop being so naive. The salary cap is going down, probably dramatically. CHI will already be in a salary cap crunch and will have to fill nearly 20 roster spots. To achieve this they will have to make some very hard, unpopular decisions. But so will every team. It is what the game is facing.

    It is comical to me to watch a bunch of you guys argue that owners are the bad guys and ARob is the ďvictimĒ in this. Both parties have their best interest in mind. I love that ARob deserves every penny of what he earns, but the owners donít. I mean, the owners should just open up their bank accounts and start losing money for everyone elseís gain, right? This is a business, not a charity. Some of you are quick to suggest ARob is getting screwed while getting paid for a contract he signed, while also advocating that owners should take large financial hits to keep the salary cap high. I believe that each party involved has the right to pursue their best interest. If ARob doesnít want to take a price break to help CHI, why should CHI ownership lose $$ to pay ARob? That also goes in the other direction. If CHI wonít take care of ARob, then he should go somewhere that will. Each has the same right to prioritize their own interests. IMO, saying that one side is right for considering their interests first while the other is wrong for doing the same thing is being 100% philosophically disingenuous.

    Lastly, there is the idea that Pace is somehow a failure if he canít retain ARob. That is a wildly short-sighted idea. If you canít see that the salary cap is going to make for countless hard decisions you are either total naive or outright ignorant. Prioritizing ARob at a top 5 WR contract could very well mean losing Hicks, Fuller, Cohen and Graham. And even then, that is 4 spots that Pace now has to fill while he has spent all of the $$ saved to keep ARob. You may want there to be an endless pot of $$, but there isnít. Even if you think owners are being unreasonable, you still have to acknowledge that Pace - and all GMs - are going to be in a huge bind this coming offseason. They are being dealt a total crap hand and, in fairness to Pace, he made basically all of his off-season moves not knowing that these cuts were coming. I believe the offseason would have looked much different if Pace and others knew this was the plan moving forward.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    70,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    I want CHI to keep ARob. He is a very good WR in his prime and not having him has a bad domino effect on the rest of the WR group and the QBs.

    That said, people need to stop being so naive. The salary cap is going down, probably dramatically. CHI will already be in a salary cap crunch and will have to fill nearly 20 roster spots. To achieve this they will have to make some very hard, unpopular decisions. But so will every team. It is what the game is facing.

    It is comical to me to watch a bunch of you guys argue that owners are the bad guys and ARob is the ďvictimĒ in this. Both parties have their best interest in mind. I love that ARob deserves every penny of what he earns, but the owners donít. I mean, the owners should just open up their bank accounts and start losing money for everyone elseís gain, right? This is a business, not a charity. Some of you are quick to suggest ARob is getting screwed while getting paid for a contract he signed, while also advocating that owners should take large financial hits to keep the salary cap high. I believe that each party involved has the right to pursue their best interest. If ARob doesnít want to take a price break to help CHI, why should CHI ownership lose $$ to pay ARob? That also goes in the other direction. If CHI wonít take care of ARob, then he should go somewhere that will. Each has the same right to prioritize their own interests. IMO, saying that one side is right for considering their interests first while the other is wrong for doing the same thing is being 100% philosophically disingenuous.

    Lastly, there is the idea that Pace is somehow a failure if he canít retain ARob. That is a wildly short-sighted idea. If you canít see that the salary cap is going to make for countless hard decisions you are either total naive or outright ignorant. Prioritizing ARob at a top 5 WR contract could very well mean losing Hicks, Fuller, Cohen and Graham. And even then, that is 4 spots that Pace now has to fill while he has spent all of the $$ saved to keep ARob. You may want there to be an endless pot of $$, but there isnít. Even if you think owners are being unreasonable, you still have to acknowledge that Pace - and all GMs - are going to be in a huge bind this coming offseason. They are being dealt a total crap hand and, in fairness to Pace, he made basically all of his off-season moves not knowing that these cuts were coming. I believe the offseason would have looked much different if Pace and others knew this was the plan moving forward.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For the sake of context, my opinion on Pace is due to the body of work. I'm nearly out on him altogether anyway. Not retaining a relatively young top 10 WR would be the nail in the coffin for me.

    I realize there's cap issues on the horizon for virtually every team, but ideally you keep the best players. He's the best player we have on Offense. I don't even think that's up for debate. You lose him and an already bad unit might be challenging for worst in the league, though that's somewhat dependent on what they do at QB next season.

    I haven't looked lately, but I'd imagine other cuts can be made to accommodate whatever his cap number will be.

    And lastly, you're not sending a great message to your locker room when you've consistently locked up your best players and then make the decision not to extend ARob, regardless of the current circumstances.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 09-16-2020 at 11:30 AM.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,235
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    For the sake of context, my opinion on Pace is due to the body of work. I'm nearly out on him altogether anyway. Not retaining a relatively young top 10 WR would be the nail in the coffin for me.

    I realize there's cap issues on the horizon for virtually every team, but ideally you keep the best players. He's the best player we have on Offense. I don't even think that's up for debate. You lose him and an already bad unit might be challenging for worst in the league, though that's somewhat dependent on what they do at QB next season.

    I haven't looked lately, but I'd imagine other cuts can be made to accommodate whatever his cap number will be.

    And lastly, you're not sending a great message to your locker room when you've consistently locked up your best players and then make the decision not to extend ARob, regardless of the current circumstances.
    Agree with all of this. Its one reason I didnít want to Trubisky to start at all, the possibility that he shows enough of a glimmer in spirts Pace might extend him and lose some really good players.

    Can people imagine how bad Trubisky would be without Robinson?? He is bad enough with him. On the flip side can you imagine how good Robinson would be with a better QB? Maybe one of the top receivers in football. You need to keep those kind of guys, whatever the cap situation is. Trubisky needs to be gone after this season regardless, trim the fat elsewhere, get Robinson to comprise some, and lock him up.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    26,643
    Glad to hear the agent come out and say a trade wasn't officially demanded. Just a lot of noise and pressure for an extension it seems. Hope its truly nothing more.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    I want CHI to keep ARob. He is a very good WR in his prime and not having him has a bad domino effect on the rest of the WR group and the QBs.

    That said, people need to stop being so naive. The salary cap is going down, probably dramatically. CHI will already be in a salary cap crunch and will have to fill nearly 20 roster spots. To achieve this they will have to make some very hard, unpopular decisions. But so will every team. It is what the game is facing.

    It is comical to me to watch a bunch of you guys argue that owners are the bad guys and ARob is the ďvictimĒ in this. Both parties have their best interest in mind. I love that ARob deserves every penny of what he earns, but the owners donít. I mean, the owners should just open up their bank accounts and start losing money for everyone elseís gain, right? This is a business, not a charity. Some of you are quick to suggest ARob is getting screwed while getting paid for a contract he signed, while also advocating that owners should take large financial hits to keep the salary cap high. I believe that each party involved has the right to pursue their best interest. If ARob doesnít want to take a price break to help CHI, why should CHI ownership lose $$ to pay ARob? That also goes in the other direction. If CHI wonít take care of ARob, then he should go somewhere that will. Each has the same right to prioritize their own interests. IMO, saying that one side is right for considering their interests first while the other is wrong for doing the same thing is being 100% philosophically disingenuous.

    Lastly, there is the idea that Pace is somehow a failure if he canít retain ARob. That is a wildly short-sighted idea. If you canít see that the salary cap is going to make for countless hard decisions you are either total naive or outright ignorant. Prioritizing ARob at a top 5 WR contract could very well mean losing Hicks, Fuller, Cohen and Graham. And even then, that is 4 spots that Pace now has to fill while he has spent all of the $$ saved to keep ARob. You may want there to be an endless pot of $$, but there isnít. Even if you think owners are being unreasonable, you still have to acknowledge that Pace - and all GMs - are going to be in a huge bind this coming offseason. They are being dealt a total crap hand and, in fairness to Pace, he made basically all of his off-season moves not knowing that these cuts were coming. I believe the offseason would have looked much different if Pace and others knew this was the plan moving forward.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All of this.

    People are also acting like Pace has already lost or will lose Robinson. Thatís a possibility, but itís far from a given. Heís just not in a hurry to extend him right this second because for one, heís still under contract and doesnít have to and 2, itís financially responsible to wait and see what the hell the cap is going to be. No need to make a move without the facts when you donít have to.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    River Forest, Illinois
    Posts
    3,413
    If Pace doesn't extend ARob and we burn out this season on the S.S. Trubisky, Pace is toast.

    Mitch better be a figurative Giant-slayer this weekend, because we don't have time to fvck around with bad teams.

    Let's see if this is the hill he wants to die on
    Broncos be like:


Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •