Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
Results 316 to 329 of 329
  1. #316
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56,348
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    All I'm saying is yea they know some of what going on and all but just because they say certain things it doesn't mean that what happening..
    I'm not talking about all 6 things you mentioned, just I doubt Rickett Theo and Jed discussed their payroll plan with them for next year and nobody knows Bryant or anyone value is going to be like in the offseason...

    It an assumption, just like we're doing on here..

    Like when they all toss out rumors in the offseason hoping for one to stick, it about being the first to report for them..
    I mean, I don't think it's "just like we're doing here". You're right, I don't think Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer or Tom Ricketts has said "Hey, Sharms, can I call ya Sharms? Sharms, so we're not spending money next year, pass it on". What I do think has happened is that the Cubs have had plenty of internal meetings over the course of the last 6 months which would most certainly have included budgetary discussions of current and present plans. And I think there were people in there that had told Sharma and Mooney that the Cubs are not spending money next year. You and I are just reading tea leaves. I 100% believe that Sharma, someone who's been around the Cubs organization for years and years has contacts within the FO that have given him an very good idea what the Cubs budget looks like for him to make declarative statements such as "the Cubs will spend as little as possible".

    Yes, there are people who throw out suggestions. Those guys are easy to spot. I don't think anyone reputable does that, as I think reputable sources who throw out rumors are throwing out information they're getting from the front office. Mainstream guys, especially large publication guys, generally don't do that because they have a reputation and a reason to not burn bridges and sources within that organization and bring that bad look upon their publication. That's where Sharma is. He's a lead writer for the Athletic, a subscription service that frankly, employs some of the best baseball writers around. He isn't going to look stupid and just assume stuff without any idea, or legitimate source, as the Athletic does not have to employ someone who's going to bring bad looks on them. Sharma's doing far more than "assuming" when he's suggesting the Cubs aren't going to spend. I can almost guarantee he's got information from his contacts with the Cubs that are influencing that.

    Again, it's very silly to dismiss that kind of reporting as "Reporters telling you what they think" and then moving on. If Sharma were a blowhard from, say, Barstool Sports or 670 the Score playing "hot take" on air, sure, throw it to the side. He isn't. This should be highly concerning to Cubs fans and support what we already assumed; this team is not adding this offseason. So don't expect it.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 09-17-2020 at 08:47 PM.

  2. #317
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    24,074

    IGT: 9/15 to 9/16 Indians(26-21) @ Cubs(28-20)

    Then again, it wouldnít be the first offseason that they didnít spend money on. This offseason should be the 3rd in a row of no spending

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  3. #318
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    What I do think has happened is that the Cubs have had plenty of internal meetings over the course of the last 6 months which would most certainly have included budgetary discussions of current and present plans. And I think there were people in there that had told Sharma and Mooney that the Cubs are not spending money next year.

    This should be highly concerning to Cubs fans and support what we already assumed; this team is not adding this offseason. So don't expect it.
    I always chuckled at the thought of when these reporters/ writers say from an inside source about something, I wonder if like say Theo Jed and a couple scouts were in a room talking about someone for a trade or signing and they hear the report and just look at each other with a, ok who leaked this look..lol
    Especially knowing how Theo and Jed likes to keep stuff like that to themselves

    Also I'm not questioning that theyll probably look to stay under the Threshold, I expect it..
    I just dont take the word of writers as concrete on everything unless it comes from Theo Jed or Rickett

    That just me...
    Been fooled a few times by them over the years, now I take a wait and see approach

  4. #319
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,745
    Pirates about to beat the Cardinals, who lost Hudson to an injury in the game

  5. #320
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56,348
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I always chuckled at the thought of when these reporters/ writers say from an inside source about something, I wonder if like say Theo Jed and a couple scouts were in a room talking about someone for a trade or signing and they hear the report and just look at each other with a, ok who leaked this look..lol
    Especially knowing how Theo and Jed likes to keep stuff like that to themselves

    Also I'm not questioning that theyll probably look to stay under the Threshold, I expect it..
    I just dont take the word of writers as concrete on everything unless it comes from Theo Jed or Rickett

    That just me...
    Been fooled a few times by them over the years, now I take a wait and see approach
    I'm quite certain that when people say "an inside source" they're getting something from inside the organization. How good their sources are certainly depends on the reporter. Sharma is about as good as it gets. Not only does he simply get baseball, he's been around the Cubs for literally years. He's worked for BP (a favorable Cub publication notoriously), he's worked for ESPN Chicago, and he's now working with the Athletic, as their primary Cubs coverage reporter, with Mooney. This isn't a guy who's run a Cubs blog and then freelances. So yes, I fully expect that if Sharma says "don't expect the Cubs to spend money" it's about as rock solid of a source as you'll get. Especially with how many times reiterated that thought on the chat. He mentioned it 3-4 times.

    If all you're going to do is wait for Theo Epstein to say "we're not spending money in 2021", I wouldn't hold my breath, because it'll be 2031 and he still won't have said that. You should loosen up this "I got burned by listening to crappy reporters" thing up a bit. Every reporter is wrong at times. If you want perfection, then I'm not sure what you say to you. If you follow reporters, you'll know easily who is reputable. It's why guys like Rostenthal and Passan have accrued such a good reputation over the years nationally. It's what guys like Dave Kaplan are blowhards locally, on the inverse. Sharma should absolutely have earned your trust. Again, if all you're going to do is wait for Epstein, then have it, but you'll never get anything.

    But in the end, you do you, I guess.

  6. #321
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,648
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I always chuckled at the thought of when these reporters/ writers say from an inside source about something, I wonder if like say Theo Jed and a couple scouts were in a room talking about someone for a trade or signing and they hear the report and just look at each other with a, ok who leaked this look..lol
    Especially knowing how Theo and Jed likes to keep stuff like that to themselves

    Also I'm not questioning that theyll probably look to stay under the Threshold, I expect it..
    I just dont take the word of writers as concrete on everything unless it comes from Theo Jed or Rickett

    That just me...
    Been fooled a few times by them over the years, now I take a wait and see approach
    I'd like to see the last time Sharma/Mooney or a Rosenthal/Heyman/Passan reported something not reputable. They're professionals of the highest level who've spent years developing rock solid reputations. There's no incentive to lie or make anything up, nor are there any real examples of them ever doing any of it.

    Now front office executives lie/wishy wash for PR reasons all the time. Basically always.

    Anyway, that report wasn't really anything shocking anyway. Anyone with half a brain can tell at this point the Cubs won't be spending.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 09-17-2020 at 10:08 PM.

  7. #322
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I'm quite certain that when people say "an inside source" they're getting something from inside the organization. How good their sources are certainly depends on the reporter. Sharma is about as good as it gets. Not only does he simply get baseball, he's been around the Cubs for literally years. He's worked for BP (a favorable Cub publication notoriously), he's worked for ESPN Chicago, and he's now working with the Athletic, as their primary Cubs coverage reporter, with Mooney. This isn't a guy who's run a Cubs blog and then freelances. So yes, I fully expect that if Sharma says "don't expect the Cubs to spend money" it's about as rock solid of a source as you'll get. Especially with how many times reiterated that thought on the chat. He mentioned it 3-4 times.

    If all you're going to do is wait for Theo Epstein to say "we're not spending money in 2021", I wouldn't hold my breath, because it'll be 2031 and he still won't have said that. You should loosen up this "I got burned by listening to crappy reporters" thing up a bit. Every reporter is wrong at times. If you want perfection, then I'm not sure what you say to you. If you follow reporters, you'll know easily who is reputable. It's why guys like Rostenthal and Passan have accrued such a good reputation over the years nationally. It's what guys like Dave Kaplan are blowhards locally, on the inverse. Sharma should absolutely have earned your trust. Again, if all you're going to do is wait for Epstein, then have it, but you'll never get anything.

    But in the end, you do you, I guess.
    I believe I already said I dont think they're spending [emoji2369]

  8. #323
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,648
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I believe I already said I dont think they're spending [emoji2369]
    That's not the point. The point is there's very clearly reputable vs irreputable reporters. To group them all in as being unreliable is wrong.

  9. #324
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56,348
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I believe I already said I dont think they're spending [emoji2369]
    I wasn't debating what you believe the Cubs to be doing. Notice, how that entire post wasn't about what the Cubs are doing, it's about reporters being reputable. It's very silly to basically eschew all good reporters, throwing them in a box because one time or another in the past you got caught up with some junk reporting, or that you're holding reporting to the impossible standard of "perfection".

    You can do what you want with reporting and the like, but if your standard for what's happening with the Cubs is "I'll wait till Theo says it", you're going to be the last person on the planet who has any idea what's going on.

  10. #325
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    That's not the point. The point is there's very clearly reputable vs irreputable reporters. To group them all in as being unreliable is wrong.
    Never said he was unreliable

    Just dont always assume what they say is cement with certain things is all

  11. #326
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I wasn't debating what you believe the Cubs to be doing. Notice, how that entire post wasn't about what the Cubs are doing, it's about reporters being reputable. It's very silly to basically eschew all good reporters, throwing them in a box because one time or another in the past you got caught up with some junk reporting, or that you're holding reporting to the impossible standard of "perfection".

    You can do what you want with reporting and the like, but if your standard for what's happening with the Cubs is "I'll wait till Theo says it", you're going to be the last person on the planet who has any idea what's going on.
    How would I be the last person to know what going on just because i prefer to wait til certain things happen or is said by someone with the team before I get excited or upset over it..
    When it actually happens we'll all know at the same time

    I never said I didn't like reporters/writers or even this particular one

    I read what they write, most are very informative and i follow on twitter for that reason, I follow him..

    There just certain things they say that I just take a wait and see approach to it over automatically thinking that what going to happen is all

    Not really a big deal or a knock against them

  12. #327
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3,438
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Never said he was unreliable

    Just dont always assume what they say is cement with certain things is all
    Yeah bud... Iím going with 1908 here. Sharma is the real deal. Heís in the know. This isnít Brett Taylor speculating on things. Nobody is saying believe every thing every reporter says. But if Sharma reports something, itís because itís sourced from somebody he trusts. Doesnít mean itís always right, but Sharma is usually always right because his sourcing is legit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #328
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Yeah bud... Iím going with 1908 here. Sharma is the real deal. Heís in the know. This isnít Brett Taylor speculating on things. Nobody is saying believe every thing every reporter says. But if Sharma reports something, itís because itís sourced from somebody he trusts. Doesnít mean itís always right, but Sharma is usually always right because his sourcing is legit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm all for Sharma, I follow him on Twitter
    I like him and he very informative.
    My thought process has nothing to do with him personally

    Like I've been saying, I just take a wait and see approach on certain things that they suggest will happen

    Not a big deal to be having to explain myself over it ..lol

  14. #329
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3,438
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I'm all for Sharma, I follow him on Twitter
    I like him and he very informative.
    My thought process has nothing to do with him personally

    Like I've been saying, I just take a wait and see approach on certain things that they suggest will happen

    Not a big deal to be having to explain myself over it ..lol
    The way you said it made it sound like Sharma is just another guy throwing crap against the wall and seeing what will stick to eventually be able to say he was right. Iím not saying thatís what you meant, but thatís the way I took it. Thatís just not true about Sharma. Anybody thatís ever followed him knows to listen when he talks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •