Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    He owed 20 mil next yr with a 10 mil buyout, so there wouldn't need to be a deal
    If he came back , hed get 20 mil

I'd rather they use that 10 mil elsewhere then watch a great pitcher struggle most of the year..
    He had 4 awful starts out of 10 this year, if he were to have 30 starts next year, I'd hate to see what it would be like as his arm gets more worn down in August and September

Maybe after a year off he can join his buddy Ross and be his pitching coach
    The option is for $25 million and the buyout is for $10 million, so it would effectively be a $15 million deal if they picked it up. Iíd be shocked if they did. With this market and his current play Iíd guess if he wants to play itíll be something like a 1 year $3-5 mil deal someplace.

Seems appropriate to call this the #BaezSeries.

He has warts, but the guy is just something special when it comes to effecting a baseball game.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The option is for $25 million and the buyout is for $10 million, so it would effectively be a $15 million deal if they picked it up. Iíd be shocked if they did. With this market and his current play Iíd guess if he wants to play itíll be something like a 1 year $3-5 mil deal someplace.
    Exactly. If we bought him out for his 10 mil, would you have a problem bringing him back at 1/5? I think that he would be fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Exactly. If we bought him out for his 10 mil, would you have a problem bringing him back at 1/5? I think that he would be fine with that.
    I'd be fine with that (in effect he'd be making $15mill), but he could probably get 10 mill elsewhere, for a total of 20. If he will give Cubs a $5mill "discount"'yes, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    If the Cubs are trying to win in 2021, Iíd want that spot upgraded. I donít think they should run Lester out as a starter 25 times when heís another year older, if they are competing.

If they blow up this team and go through a 1 year rebuild and have no intention of competing in 2021, then Iím good with bringing him back on a cheap 1 year deal to run out the clock on his career.

Ok, I guessed wrong on the 20

With the 60 game schedule, he obviously wont get the total 400 innings pitched for 19 and 20 combined for his vesting option to kick in for 25 mil. 10 buyout, even if they prorated it for the 60 games.

Trying to figure out exactly where their at with that..
    Is he now a FA then cause that 7th year option doesn't kick in?

Also, like I said before, I'd prefer to move on from him either way and use that money elsewhere

IGT: 9/15 to 9/16 Indians(26-21) @ Cubs(28-20)

Ok, I guessed wrong on the 20

With the 60 game schedule, he obviously wont get the total 400 innings pitched for 19 and 20 combined for his vesting option to kick in for 25 mil. 10 buyout, even if they prorated it for the 60 games.

Trying to figure out exactly where their at with that..
    Is he now a FA then cause that 7th year option doesn't kick in?

Also, like I said before, I'd prefer to move on from him either way and use that money elsewhere
    It becomes a team option if it doesnít vest (which it wonít). With the prorated season he needed about 75 innings for it to beat. Now the Cubs will have an option, but Iíd be stunned if they thought about picking it up. Heíll be a free agent.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-17-2020 at 02:09 PM.

If the Cubs are trying to win in 2021, Iíd want that spot upgraded. I donít think they should run Lester out as a starter 25 times when heís another year older, if they are competing.

If they blow up this team and go through a 1 year rebuild and have no intention of competing in 2021, then Iím good with bringing him back on a cheap 1 year deal to run out the clock on his career.
    I know if it a cheap deal and probably wont matter but if it a rebuild/ retool year, I still would rather they use his spot in rotation on a kid and let him get that 30 game experience under his belt over letting Lester just go through the motion of retiring for a year hoping he can get through 5 innings..

As a fan, id hate to see him struggle like that in his final year

https://theathletic.com/2070036/2020...shared-article

I really did not believe he would be able to improve this facet of his game to this extent. Hats off to WillCo for embracing the challenge and taking his game to new heights. In a full season he should be a 5 win player if he stays consistent.

I know if it a cheap deal and probably wont matter but if it a rebuild/ retool year, I still would rather they use his spot in rotation on a kid and let him get that 30 game experience under his belt over letting Lester just go through the motion of retiring for a year hoping he can get through 5 innings..

As a fan, id hate to see him struggle like that in his final year
    If they tank, theyíll have more starts available than ďkidsĒ to fill them. Iíd be fine giving Lester a cheap deal on a bad team if thatís what he wants. He can show the kids how to work, or whatever.

I just donít want him back as someone they count on in the rotation if they are trying to win regardless of how little money heíd take.

It becomes a team option if it doesnít beat (which it wonít). With the prorated season he needed about 75 innings for it to beat. Now the Cubs will have an option, but Iíd be stunned if they thought about picking it up. Heíll be a free agent.
    Ok thanks..

Right, as a fan, I'd rather they move on over watching him pretty much struggle most of the year if he returns...

Even if they were to work some sort of deal and pay him 15 mil or whatever

To upgrade the Cubs would have to spend the money (Bauer, Stroman) or trade some assets. Right now I don't see teams trading younger, more impact arms (and I'm not sure I want the Cubs dipping into the farm right now) and I don't see anywhere that Ricketts will open the checkbooks for FA. So either that upgrade comes from in-house, which it might but it won't happen until the middle of year or signing Lester or a similar veteran like Arrieta, Archer, Morton or Paxton (who is currently injured). So an upgrade probably is not going to happen anytime soon.

Theo, I believe, has one or two years left on his deal, so I really doubt he'll blow it up unless he signs a 1 or 2 yr extension to see it through.

I think Lester will be back for one more year.
    Screw sabermetics.

If they tank, theyíll have more starts available than ďkidsĒ to fill them. Iíd be fine giving Lester a cheap deal on a bad team if thatís what he wants. He can show the kids how to work, or whatever.

I just donít want him back as someone they count on in the rotation if they are trying to win regardless of how little money heíd take.
    I dont think they go in full tank mode..
    I think they still try to compete but under the Threshold

They still have Darvish and Hendricks.
    I bet theyll stay with Mills now in the rotation

So they need 2 more starters from which they could bring up 1 or 2 from system or they can get a young guy from a trade

I actually would like to see him become a pitching coach under Ross, I think those two would work great with a young pitching staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    To upgrade the Cubs would have to spend the money (Bauer, Stroman) or trade some assets. Right now I don't see teams trading younger, more impact arms (and I'm not sure I want the Cubs dipping into the farm right now) and I don't see anywhere that Ricketts will open the checkbooks for FA. So either that upgrade comes from in-house, which it might but it won't happen until the middle of year or signing Lester or a similar veteran like Arrieta, Archer, Morton or Paxton (who is currently injured). So an upgrade probably is not going to happen anytime soon.

Theo, I believe, has one or two years left on his deal, so I really doubt he'll blow it up unless he signs a 1 or 2 yr extension to see it through.

I think Lester will be back for one more year.
    I donít think it would take much to upgrade that spot. It wonít cost big money or a major trade if they donít want to do those things. He has a 5+ FIP and xFIP, Ks are way down, velo is down. What can reasonably be expected in his age 37 season? It shouldnít be hard to upgrade.

I donít think the direction of the team will depend on Theoís contract. Heís enough of a professional to move them in the best path forward regardless of his status. I think he was ready to make major sales last offseason but the KB grievance delayed things and then he didnít get the offer he wanted.

I dont think they go in full tank mode..
    I think they still try to compete but under the Threshold

They still have Darvish and Hendricks.
    I bet theyll stay with Mills now in the rotation

So they need 2 more starters from which they could bring up 1 or 2 from system or they can get a young guy from a trade

I actually would like to see him become a pitching coach under Ross, I think those two would work great with a young pitching staff
    I donít expect a full tank either.

I think Hottovy has done a really nice job as pitching coach. You donít often see guys who make as much money as Lester did become a positional coach. Occasionally, but rarely. I doubt thatís the path he goes in retirement.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast