Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Am I the only one who thought Happ should of been heading to 3rd and scored on Bryant hit.

Ball was hit to Lindor left, even if he got a glove on it there no way he throws to third with his momentum taking him the other way

I just think Happ made a bad read there
    My initial reaction was the same as yours. Then I reconsidered. If Lindor gets to that ball and Happ was going to 3rd, he is likely dead at third.

I had a dream last night!

My lady friend and I went out for some drinks with Kimbrel and his lady. We were sitting in the beer garden when I popped the question. "Do you feel like you're getting it back?" He said that he's starting to feel it coming back, and he's hoping to get his FB up to 100 mph. So there ya have it! Nothing to worry about.

Also, he had pretty cool hair!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Yeah exactly. The fans werenít able to give him a proper goodbye and thatís what sucks.

Will never second guess the Lester signing
    Am I crazy for thinking it might be worth bringing him back on a one year deal if the money is right?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman85 View Post
    All the hate on Schwarber, ugh. Heís a beast, just having a slump. And even when he does slump he takes walks. Heís fine, love him lock him up long term
    Is he really "a beast" though?

I know he takes his walks but he's a career .232 hitter. Yes, he's slumping now but he's hitting .194 for the season which really isn't that far below his career norm. As a comparable, KB hitting .205 this year is far below his career average of .281.

I get batting average isn't everything and it's a goofy year, but I think we are just seeing Kyle is a low average, high OBP guy with pretty good power (obviously his raw power is great but connecting isn't always his strong suit).

Combine that with his average to below average defense and you have a serviceable player but certainly not a beast. It pains me to say it too because I really rated the guy but I think he's always going to be a frustrating player who you think can do more but never really actually does it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    Am I crazy for thinking it might be worth bringing him back on a one year deal if the money is right?
    I think itís best to move on and to have some kind of Jon Lester Day when heís retired and Wrigley is full of fans again to show him some appreciation.

Is he really "a beast" though?

I know he takes his walks but he's a career .232 hitter. Yes, he's slumping now but he's hitting .194 for the season which really isn't that far below his career norm. As a comparable, KB hitting .205 this year is far below his career average of .281.

I get batting average isn't everything and it's a goofy year, but I think we are just seeing Kyle is a low average, high OBP guy with pretty good power (obviously his raw power is great but connecting isn't always his strong suit).

Combine that with his average to below average defense and you have a serviceable player but certainly not a beast. It pains me to say it too because I really rated the guy but I think he's always going to be a frustrating player who you think can do more but never really actually does it.
    Heís not a superstar, he does have that potential tho. Itís probably unlikely he becomes a star, but itís still possible he improves. I think how he was last year is still a winning player tho. I believe itís likely he can repeat last years #s consistently. Plus just having guys that grind ABs is important to an offense, bc It wears down opposing pitching staffs. Iím not sure what it would take to extend Schwarber, but Iím guessing itís not a mega deal. I think there might be some nice value with a Schwarber extension.

Yea let Lester walk, heís over the hill.

Heís not a superstar, he does have that potential tho. Itís probably unlikely he becomes a star, but itís still possible he improves. I think how he was last year is still a winning player tho. I believe itís likely he can repeat last years #s consistently. Plus just having guys that grind ABs is important to an offense, bc It wears down opposing pitching staffs. Iím not sure what it would take to extend Schwarber, but Iím guessing itís not a mega deal. I think there might be some nice value with a Schwarber extension.
    He's 27, I also thought he had "superstar" potential but I don't anymore. I think his upside is what we saw last year which was a 115-120 wRC+ hitter with fine defense. That's about a 2-3 win player but certainly not a star.

A Schwarber extension is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure if he'd like what I'd offer. I don't think I'd go higher than like, 4 years $60 million.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I had a dream last night!

My lady friend and I went out for some drinks with Kimbrel and his lady. We were sitting in the beer garden when I popped the question. "Do you feel like you're getting it back?" He said that he's starting to feel it coming back, and he's hoping to get his FB up to 100 mph. So there ya have it! Nothing to worry about.

Also, he had pretty cool hair!
    Kimbrel was awful early in the year, but lately heís looked good. Iíve been impressed, better then I expected tbh. I think I trust him more then jeffress rest of season. I still like Wick too. Back of the BP might not be that bad.

IGT: 9/15 to 9/16 Indians(26-21) @ Cubs(28-20)

Cards next 8 are against the pirates and royals, so they are about to get hot. As long as the Cubs beat up on the Pirates next week and avoid sweeps in both of the weekend series, it should be pretty tough for STL to close the 5.5 game gap.

If the Cubs win 4 more games the cards would need to go 11-2 to pass the Cubs, assuming STL stays with the 58 game schedule. If they play all 60 they could go 12-3 to tie, but the Cubs likely own that tiebreaker anyway.

If the Cubs win 4, the Reds cannot pass them and the brewers would need to go 11-0 to pass them on a tiebreaker.

Time to scoreboard watch the Braves.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-17-2020 at 11:29 AM.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    My initial reaction was the same as yours. Then I reconsidered. If Lindor gets to that ball and Happ was going to 3rd, he is likely dead at third.
    No way hed get him..
    Lindor had to go far to his left for that ball, and even if he got it, his momentum takes him further away and he doesn't get off a good throw..
    Happ gets to 3rd easily if he takes off

I really think Happ thought Lindor was playing more towards the middle just by the way he reacted with turning to look and leaning towards second

All well that ends well, I just thought that would of been a big play and probably questioned had they not scored

If he would take $15mill I'd say ok, but that's only $5mill above his buy out. Money-wise, he'd be better off taking the buyout, then signing elsewhere for $10mill.

He owed 20 mil next yr with a 10 mil buyout, so there wouldn't need to be a deal
    If he came back , hed get 20 mil

I'd rather they use that 10 mil elsewhere then watch a great pitcher struggle most of the year..
    He had 4 awful starts out of 10 this year, if he were to have 30 starts next year, I'd hate to see what it would be like as his arm gets more worn down in August and September

Maybe after a year off he can join his buddy Ross and be his pitching coach

All the hate on Schwarber, ugh. Heís a beast, just having a slump. And even when he does slump he takes walks. Heís fine, love him lock him up long term
    Schwarber will never hit for average,he basically a 30 HR guy who can walk some if he lays off that high pitch

He slumps more often then not, he basically a streaky hitter with the homerun.
    He'll jack a couple here and there with his Schwarbombs then basically go silent for awhile

He doesn't hurt you in a lineup if the guys around him are hitting, only because he that guy in the middle of order who has the potential to jack one out every time up.

As far as extension goes, I'd dangle him this offseason to see what his return would be and if they get something worthwhile, I'd trade him..
    if not, at most I'd offer in a contract would be 3 yrs at 10 per

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast