Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Novato,CA
    Posts
    3,976

    Erik Harris Sucks!

    Been saying it for years and this sunday was another example of why this guys is not an nfl caliber player. He reminds me of Matt giordano the “let me fake an injury when I mess up so I don’t look bad” safety we had few years ago. Erik Harris earned a roster spot because the fluke chargers game. His so called leadership skills are irrelevant when he plays the way he does. He is a huge liability IMO. Long story short he sucks and we need Randall back or maybe look in Earl Thomas. I hate to be that guy that talks about singing all cut players but we desperately need defensive help if we wanna go anywhere this year. Earl is a headache but could be a huge help.

    RAIDER NATION

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    12,877
    Earl Thomas might be too volatile and he might have even lost a step.

    The man they should sign, but won't for obvious reasons, is Eric Reid. At 29, many still project him as one of the top free safeties in the league if he was playing. If it's ok to protest, and Mark Davis has stated on several occasions publicly that he doesn't mind if players speak out, then Mayock needs to do his job and see about getting Reid in the door.

    I'm not saying that Harris isn't a great guy. I understand he's one of the vocal leaders. He will probably make some plays this year. But he's not at Eric Reid's level. If we're ever going to turn this thing around, we need to field the best men for the job. Period.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Posts
    7,178
    I don't think Harris is a a bad player, although bringing in Earl Thomas would be an upgrade.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,210
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    Earl Thomas might be too volatile and he might have even lost a step.

    The man they should sign, but won't for obvious reasons, is Eric Reid. At 29, many still project him as one of the top free safeties in the league if he was playing. If it's ok to protest, and Mark Davis has stated on several occasions publicly that he doesn't mind if players speak out, then Mayock needs to do his job and see about getting Reid in the door.

    I'm not saying that Harris isn't a great guy. I understand he's one of the vocal leaders. He will probably make some plays this year. But he's not at Eric Reid's level. If we're ever going to turn this thing around, we need to field the best men for the job. Period.
    First game with no preseason.. Give it a minute and let it develop. Keep in mind there was no pressure from the DL at all.. They were winded.. Game shape doesn't come til game 3. Win 1 of the next two and we are in a great position.
    Dogdaddy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,367
    what about Haha Clinton Dix? I am sure he can't do any worse than Harris plus he is a free agent that will come cheap.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Bay
    Posts
    15,843
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    Earl Thomas might be too volatile and he might have even lost a step.

    The man they should sign, but won't for obvious reasons, is Eric Reid. At 29, many still project him as one of the top free safeties in the league if he was playing. If it's ok to protest, and Mark Davis has stated on several occasions publicly that he doesn't mind if players speak out, then Mayock needs to do his job and see about getting Reid in the door.

    I'm not saying that Harris isn't a great guy. I understand he's one of the vocal leaders. He will probably make some plays this year. But he's not at Eric Reid's level. If we're ever going to turn this thing around, we need to field the best men for the job. Period.
    I would love to know what Reid wants money wise or contract length wise. That maybe part of the reason he’s still unsigned. I’d 100% offer him a 1 +1 year deal with second year a team option.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Posts
    7,178
    ^^^ What's wrong with firing Guenther and then moving Joyner back to safety?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Bay
    Posts
    15,843
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    ^^^ What's wrong with firing Guenther and then moving Joyner back to safety?
    Nothing but that won’t happen just yet. Likely weeks 4-6 depending on how our defense does is when that will come up as a viable option for Gruden and Mayock to consider.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    480
    Not that I'm advocating for one side or the other, but for the guys using the lack of preseason as an excuse for the subpar defensive effort: didn't that usually favor the defensive side of the ball? It's usually the offense that is sloppy and out of sync at the beginning of the year bc they haven't gotten their timing down yet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,190
    Funny. I though just the opposite. Looking at past pre season scores, and early regular season games.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Raider Nation
    Posts
    15,589
    Quote Originally Posted by mberr View Post
    Not that I'm advocating for one side or the other, but for the guys using the lack of preseason as an excuse for the subpar defensive effort: didn't that usually favor the defensive side of the ball? It's usually the offense that is sloppy and out of sync at the beginning of the year bc they haven't gotten their timing down yet.
    It will affect them all in some way or other. This year has it's very own issues that cannot be compared with any other in the past.

    "...prone to stoogery.".

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    12,877
    Quote Originally Posted by mberr View Post
    Not that I'm advocating for one side or the other, but for the guys using the lack of preseason as an excuse for the subpar defensive effort: didn't that usually favor the defensive side of the ball? It's usually the offense that is sloppy and out of sync at the beginning of the year bc they haven't gotten their timing down yet.
    That's my understanding as well. As a general rule the defense tends to get its act together long before the offense does. Especially offenses like Gruden's that have a thick playbook.

    I'm not going to beat up Harris too much here, but you can't 100% fault lack of preseason games or conditioning for that bad angle that he took on that tackle. If he did that in practice, I bet he wouldn't be starting.

    Apparently the Raiders are on the same page as us. They brought in some safeties this week. I'm not sure if they're looking to replace Harris or just add depth, but they're not standing pat. I just want them to bring in better graded talent than what we have -- Pro Bowl caliber talent -- which is doable. But we'll see if they make a move or not. I doubt it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7,074
    Quote Originally Posted by mberr View Post
    Not that I'm advocating for one side or the other, but for the guys using the lack of preseason as an excuse for the subpar defensive effort: didn't that usually favor the defensive side of the ball? It's usually the offense that is sloppy and out of sync at the beginning of the year bc they haven't gotten their timing down yet.
    In general, I think that’s the “rule”.

    But, I think some things greatly affect it as well- like new players, coaches, etc. How much carryover do you have on each side. Also, athleticism vs timing/fluidity. Running QBs would have an edge, I’d guess. Running power block offenses should do better, while new QB/WR combos shouldn’t fair as well.

    Then you look at the Kyler/Hopkins performance... and realize there probably is no “rule”

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Novato,CA
    Posts
    3,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe-Raider View Post
    It will affect them all in some way or other. This year has it's very own issues that cannot be compared with any other in the past.
    You do realize Harris is a vet playing in the same defense for the past 3 years and tackling hasn’t been his best attribute? I think it’s more than just the lack of pre season.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Raider Nation
    Posts
    15,589
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanBL9 View Post
    You do realize Harris is a vet playing in the same defense for the past 3 years and tackling hasn’t been his best attribute? I think it’s more than just the lack of pre season.
    I realize more than you would think, that being said, what really does this have to do with what I said? Everyone will be affected by all aspects of this COVID thing, civil unrest, daily testing, lack of crowds, the move to Vegas, new faces. lack of preseason etc. etc. It is a very different year for everyone. I wasn't specifically referring to Harris, whom I, BTW, think is a good back up, he can have his moments, but is not necessarily starter material for the season. There may be some games where his talents fit a specific defensive scheme or plan. Who knows, maybe he gets better.

    "...prone to stoogery.".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •