Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Should we trade for Steven Stamkos?

Anthony Scultore of Blueshirt Forever has an article titled:
    They’ve tried it twice before, but should the Rangers trade for Steven Stamkos now

These are excerpts from his article:

Stamkos agreed to an 8 year deal, a no movement clause, with a cap hit of $8.5 million back in 2016.

Third time is the charm, should the Rangers bring in Stamkos?

We know that Jeff Gorton tried to acquire him in 2016, can he finally complete the deal in 2020? I mean, the Tampa Bay Lightning are cap strapped. They want to retain both of their big RFA’s in Anthony Cirelli and Mikhail Sergachev. Do they eat some of Stamkos salary over the remaining four years to make it happen?

I mean, this is a game changer depending on how much Tampa can retain? Or would they consider buying out the 29 year old star center, making him a UFA? Can the Rangers make him fit at $6 million per season and is he worth the risk with his recent rash of injuries? These are all tough questions.

Of course, the Rangers need to send over something to get him. The Rangers do have that first round pick 22nd overall they could use. They have plenty of prospects too. Remember, this is a cap shaving move for Tampa. Jeff Gorton doesn’t have to give up a whole lot, unless the Lightning retain 50% of his salary.

Now do you do it? That would likely spell the end of Ryan Strome in New York. Of course, if Stamkos is healthy next season and centering Artemi Panarin, it could be worth the risk.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 09-16-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Keep in mind he will have 4 yrs remaining, with an $8.5 mil. cap hit, an extensive injury history and going to be 31 in February.

So while it seems intriguing on paper and first glance. It would be a Huge risk on our part. For me I’m gonna say No even if there’s salary retained to drop his cap hit. Age and injury history prevents me from even entertaining it.

In short: Hell no.

Oh, and let’s not get into the fact that a move like this would clear cap for TB to sign both Cirelli and Sergachev. No way I’m doing them any kind of favors.

Lets not do this