Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Tom Brady or Cam Newton

If you have an opening at QB right now who are you picking?

Tom Brady - 43 years old, $25M

Cam Newton - 31 years old, $550k - $7.5M

As the year plays out I think we're going to understand how much Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels had to do with Bradys success.

It's one game. Even though the Phins have two great CB's they are still a **** team. Meanwhile Brady went up against a top 5 NFL defense.

This is why in the early/late games I made the comment of I can't wait for week 4/5.

On top of that BB made a comment today of 15 runs a game is the target for Cam. It's clear he sees Cam as a short term hired gun rather than the solution at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    It's one game. Even though the Phins have two great CB's they are still a **** team. Meanwhile Brady went up against a top 5 NFL defense.

This is why in the early/late games I made the comment of I can't wait for week 4/5.

On top of that BB made a comment today of 15 runs a game is the target for Cam. It's clear he sees Cam as a short term hired gun rather than the solution at QB.
    Agreed. It's a toss up... TB12 definitely has the better offensive weapons, Cam has the advantage at o-line and coaching. I think the 15 runs per game can't last all season, but once Cam shows that he can be successful running the ball and grasps the offense a little better you'll start seeing more screens, dump off, etc... he's only been there a month so I think it's going to be run early and cement the threat going forward. I can't see him rushing 15 times a game the entire season.

since both are trash id just choose neither and run it 90 times.

yup hes gonna run him into the ground lol... bb is smart he knows that is the only way cam can even be an alright QB.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    yup hes gonna run him into the ground lol... bb is smart he knows that is the only way cam can even be an alright QB.
    Here's what I can 100% see BB doing:
    Basically in 2020 use and abuse Cam in experimenting with RPO and QB movement in a way he couldn't before. He knows he won't have the draft capitol to move up for Lawrence in 2021 unless someone like the Bengals or Chargers end up with #1 (they just got QB's won't need one). So they'll move up to 2/3/4 and take Justin Fields.

With roll over cap from this year (they have a massive amount IIRC), He'll do something absurd like spend big on 2 of Juju Smith-Schuester, AJ Green, Chris Godwin, Kenny Galloday (all URFA). And on defense spend on like Yannick and Bud Dupree. Basically poach some of the best players on teams without the means to keep them.

Then he's got 4 years with a rookie contract QB, loaded weapons, loaded defense.

Basically in 2020 use and abuse Cam in experimenting with RPO and QB movement in a way he couldn't before. He knows he won't have the draft capitol to move up for Lawrence in 2021 unless someone like the Bengals or Chargers end up with #1 (they just got QB's won't need one). So they'll move up to 2/3/4 and take Justin Fields.

With roll over cap from this year (they have a massive amount IIRC), He'll do something absurd like spend big on 2 of Juju Smith-Schuester, AJ Green, Chris Godwin, Kenny Galloday (all URFA). And on defense spend on like Yannick and Bud Dupree. Basically poach some of the best players on teams without the means to keep them.

Then he's got 4 years with a rookie contract QB, loaded weapons, loaded defense.
    What happens if Cam has a solid year?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosston View Post
    What happens if Cam has a solid year?
    Let him walk. Honestly. If he has a solid year and you go to resign him you are talking at least $25mil a year to keep him. That puts a major dent in FA shopping to like maybe get a solid WR and rotational pass rusher. I think in the way the AFC is shaping up that's maybe a punchers chance at the SB in the next 2-3 years. But in the other way, as long as Fields isn't a bust, you bought yourself at least 5 years of contention, PLUS the ability to see what the cap recovers to.

Every time we’ve had major cap space we’ve spent it. It was Rosey Colvin and Rodney Harrison in 03. Adalius Thomas and Randy Moss in 07. Gilmore and Cooks in 2017. I would expect that we be aggressive with all the cap we have next year.

As of now our local cap guy says we’ll have a shade under $60M with current cap projections and anticipated in season moves. That number will go up with cuts/restructures (Cannon, Hightower when they come back). I’m sure they’ll add some big names, whether Cam is re-signed or not.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Every time we’ve had major cap space we’ve spent it. It was Rosey Colvin and Rodney Harrison in 03. Adalius Thomas and Randy Moss in 07. Gilmore and Cooks in 2017. I would expect that we be aggressive with all the cap we have next year.

As of now our local cap guy says we’ll have a shade under $60M with current cap projections and anticipated in season moves. That number will go up with cuts/restructures (Cannon, Hightower when they come back). I’m sure they’ll add some big names, whether Cam is re-signed or not.
    I think the Cam thing really depends on one thing we don't know: would BB want to spend on full positional spots or just one or two guys. I can see Juju Smith-Schuester being BB's biggest target this offseason. A WR that plays 3 spots, solid route runner, runs the full tree? That's 100% a Pats type player.

The reason I really bring that up though about the trade up and Cam thing is having Justin Fields on a rookie contract VS the $25-32 mil you might have to spend on Cam should he have a good year makes more long term sense IMO. It affords almost two extra players to bolster positions and gives another year or two of cap space.

This is just my not knowing BB great as a cap guy, but he's generally always somehow built in an option year for players on a trial basis like Cam just in case they did really well, then worst case is you pick up the option then extend him. That didn't happen with Cam. Now if that was Cam's choice that's one thing, but it also means the next option for the Pats is to tag him at likely $37-39 mil which is most your space. Makes me feel Cam really was a 1 year thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosston View Post
    If you have an opening at QB right now who are you picking?

Tom Brady - 43 years old, $25M

Cam Newton - 31 years old, $550k - $7.5M

As the year plays out I think we're going to understand how much Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels had to do with Bradys success.
    What are the chances you post this if the Saints had lost yesterday?
    You're only posting this because Clark Kent had a good day....I'm not necessarily a Brady vs BB guy, but it takes more than one beating a poor team while the other loses to a good team to make any kind of determination.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    You're only posting this because Clark Kent had a good day....I'm not necessarily a Brady vs BB guy, but it takes more than one beating a poor team while the other loses to a good team to make any kind of determination.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Been one game and Brady's statue in New England is getting ripped down faster than confederate ones

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    One More Time

I think the Cam thing really depends on one thing we don't know: would BB want to spend on full positional spots or just one or two guys. I can see Juju Smith-Schuester being BB's biggest target this offseason. A WR that plays 3 spots, solid route runner, runs the full tree? That's 100% a Pats type player.

The reason I really bring that up though about the trade up and Cam thing is having Justin Fields on a rookie contract VS the $25-32 mil you might have to spend on Cam should he have a good year makes more long term sense IMO. It affords almost two extra players to bolster positions and gives another year or two of cap space.

This is just my not knowing BB great as a cap guy, but he's generally always somehow built in an option year for players on a trial basis like Cam just in case they did really well, then worst case is you pick up the option then extend him. That didn't happen with Cam. Now if that was Cam's choice that's one thing, but it also means the next option for the Pats is to tag him at likely $37-39 mil which is most your space. Makes me feel Cam really was a 1 year thing.
    The guys you specifically mentioned are the type of guys that BB would let walk, not the type of guys he'd overpay in FA. Juju isn't worth a top 10 contract and BB churns out Dupree level defenders on a consistent basis and routinely lets them walk, no way he throws 15-20M/season at him.

If Cam works out to the extent that he continues making that weak offense look good there's no way he doesn't get tagged or a team friendly 2-3 year extension. Why throw your future into the hands of a rookie when you can win now? Even with my Cam biases aside, who would take an overrated WR and EDGE for 30M/season over a franchise QB?

I do think BB isn't gonna hesitate to run Cam into the dirt to get wins, but I don't buy that he's just experimenting with dual threats while eyeing top 5 picks. Cam's not a generic dual threat, he's a physical runner who is better passing from the pocket than on the run, so if you're experimenting you're not likely to find one like him. If he wanted a top 5 pick he'd have traded for Brisset or drafted a random athletic QB.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    since both are trash id just choose neither and run it 90 times.
    You wanna be the pot or the kettle ??

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast