Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    When you really want somebody you donít give everyone an opportunity to sign him. The only way you let it get to that point is because your willing to walk away from the player.
    Yeah, but Belichick doesn't operate like other teams and that's what made him so successful for so long.

The Patriots do not have the cap space this year to (1) continuing pay him on his old Panthers contract, which would have been the case in a trade, or (2) pay Cam what he is worth in free agency.

They are however the only team that wanted Cam as a starter. So why spend more resources (cap space / draft picks) than is necessary to obtain him?

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    We also don't know what Cam's camp was asking for when he was first released. Cam could've easily gotten 20-25M if he had been released in February. By the time he was released teams couldn't do any medical workouts to check his injury recovery due to COVID restrictions and by the time he was released most teams had already signed someone else.

BB couldn't afford Cam if Cam didn't take a prove it deal. Before settlements and opt-outs the Pats were strapped for cap space.
    I donít think COVID and medicals were an issue at all. Any team could of said we love the tape and are excited but lower the guaranteed money to fully protect themselves.
    With escalators and incentives a deal could of been easily had without risk. Per game bonuses as well.
    Without a doubt Cam never had a chance at anything close to 25 million.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Yeah, but Belichick doesn't operate like other teams and that's what made him so successful for so long.

The Patriots do not have the cap space this year to (1) continuing pay him on his old Panthers contract, which would have been the case in a trade, or (2) pay Cam what he is worth in free agency.

They are however the only team that wanted Cam as a starter. So why spend more resources (cap space / draft picks) than is necessary to obtain him?
    A trade was never going to happen agreed.
    For them not to be concerned at all that another team wasnít going to sign him makes things look even worse for Cam.
    I really donít see BB finessing a small savings here. I see a guy who didnít really care one way or the other. Had Cam signed with the Jags or chargers donít think anyone in New England would of cared or thought of it as a missed opportunity.
    I honestly think they made the decision to not sign him then thought what do we have to lose when they realized they could almost sign him for free.

A trade was never going to happen agreed.
    For them not to be concerned at all that another team wasnít going to sign him makes things look even worse for Cam.
    I really donít see BB finessing a small savings here. I see a guy who didnít really care one way or the other. Had Cam signed with the Jags or chargers donít think anyone in New England would of cared or thought of it as a missed opportunity.
    I honestly think they made the decision to not sign him then thought what do we have to lose when they realized they could almost sign him for free.
    What team would have signed him?

The Jaguars wanted to give Minshew a try, and with the Chargers he would have been pulled at the first sign of adversity and replaced by Herbert.

Cam can make up to $7.5 million with the Patriots; some of the incentives are even easy to reach, but the trick is that most of the incentives don't count against the Patriots cap until 2021, because it's always the previous year that is used to determine the type of incentive, and Cam played only 2 games in 2019.

What team would have signed him?

The Jaguars wanted to give Minshew a try, and with the Chargers he would have been pulled at the first sign of adversity and replaced by Herbert.

Cam can make up to $7.5 million with the Patriots; some of the incentives are even easy to reach, but the trick is that most of the incentives don't count against the Patriots cap until 2021, because it's always the previous year that is used to determine the type of incentive, and Cam played only 2 games in 2019.
    Well at the very end yes youíre right. There was nobody left. But in the beginning when he was first released they had no desire to sign him. It was only when they witnessed him hit rock bottom that they decided there would be nothing to lose.
    This was more about them not really caring then some brilliant financial move.

Well at the very end yes youíre right. There was nobody left. But in the beginning when he was first released they had no desire to sign him. It was only when they witnessed him hit rock bottom that they decided there would be nothing to lose.
    This was more about them not really caring then some brilliant financial move.
    I don't know what you mean "in the beginning". A cheap contract is the only thing the Pats could have offered him. And no player is eager to sign a cheap contract.

It is true that Belichick didn't really have to do anything but wait. But they passed on every other opportunity to acquire a QB as well. I find the idea the Belichick was ready to go into the season with Stidham more unlikely than the idea that he expected Cam would land with the Patriots.

I donít think COVID and medicals were an issue at all. Any team could of said we love the tape and are excited but lower the guaranteed money to fully protect themselves.
    With escalators and incentives a deal could of been easily had without risk. Per game bonuses as well.
    Without a doubt Cam never had a chance at anything close to 25 million.
    You think a team would sign a QB to be their starter who had shoulder surgery in 2018 and foot surgery at the end of 2019 without giving him a medical screening? I also don't think you sign a QB to be your starter if you can't meet with him and make sure he's going to fit your teams culture.

FWIW, our owner has said that COVID is a reason we cut him, and I bet plenty of teams use it as an excuse when everyone is wondering why they didn't sign him.

Had he been released before FA, I can't imagine the Colts would have chosen the ghost of Philip Rivers over Cam. I love Rivers, but he's pretty much on his last leg.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Yeah, I think people overestimate how much time Bill actually has left. Hes pushing 70, there's no way he has any intention of lingering for a wasted rebuild when he wouldn't be around to reap the benefits. He likely things he can win another SB in the next 2-3 years, and I personally think Cam is part of those plans.
    If that were true he would have signed Cam cheap for 2-3 years instead of 1.

BB definitely wants a "legacy" of leaving a team that wins after him.

It's the same as the Brady draft. If you had any idea what he was going to do, you draft him early even if you can get him late.

Plus they didn't need to get Cam cheap after asking a few high salary players to sit out.
    Dak: 15,778 @ 65.8%, 7.6 per att, 97+21 TD, 36 INT+31 FMB, 97.0 Rate
    Wentz: 14,191 @ 63.8%, 6.9 per att, 97+3 TD, 35 INT+48 FMB, 92.7 Rate

2020:
    Dak: 1188 @ 67.1%, 8.3 per att, 5 TD, 2 (1.4%) INT, 98.5 Rate 76.7 QBR
    Wentz: 737 @ 59.8%, 5.6 per att, 3 TD, 6 INT (4.5%), 63.9 Rate 35.5 QBR

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

The Pats currently have $24.3M in cap space. Cam's old contract was $20.76M per year avg.
    Dak: 15,778 @ 65.8%, 7.6 per att, 97+21 TD, 36 INT+31 FMB, 97.0 Rate
    Wentz: 14,191 @ 63.8%, 6.9 per att, 97+3 TD, 35 INT+48 FMB, 92.7 Rate

2020:
    Dak: 1188 @ 67.1%, 8.3 per att, 5 TD, 2 (1.4%) INT, 98.5 Rate 76.7 QBR
    Wentz: 737 @ 59.8%, 5.6 per att, 3 TD, 6 INT (4.5%), 63.9 Rate 35.5 QBR

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Unless the pick was epically terrible hard to say a guy was trash in a blowout.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    If that were true he would have signed Cam cheap for 2-3 years instead of 1.

BB definitely wants a "legacy" of leaving a team that wins after him.

It's the same as the Brady draft. If you had any idea what he was going to do, you draft him early even if you can get him late.

Plus they didn't need to get Cam cheap after asking a few high salary players to sit out.
    There's no incentive for Cam to sign a multi year deal when his value was at an all time low.

It's no benefit to Bill to tank for someone else to win with his team when he's a few seasons away from the all time wins record.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    The Pats currently have $24.3M in cap space. Cam's old contract was $20.76M per year avg.
    That's because of players opting out due to covid

Cam stil is a glorified running back so give me the perpetual cheater I guess

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Cam stil is a glorified running back so give me the perpetual cheater I guess
    That's gotta be one of the most idiotic takes I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    That's gotta be one of the most idiotic takes I've ever seen.
    You must not get out much

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456