Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    634
    We have Cousins for this and next season. He can be cut in 2022 with a 10m cap hit, which we would probably do unless we've won a SB in these two years. Next year will be painful, one way or another, but it's not like the franchise is tied to him for 3 or more years.

    Harrison Smith could be cut next year with no cap hit. At that point I would strongly favour negotiating him down to a lower contract than cutting him, as his leadership is still valuable to this team. As well as Harris played last year, he's no Harrison Smith.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    13,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlyc View Post
    We have Cousins for this and next season. He can be cut in 2022 with a 10m cap hit, which we would probably do unless we've won a SB in these two years. Next year will be painful, one way or another, but it's not like the franchise is tied to him for 3 or more years.

    Harrison Smith could be cut next year with no cap hit. At that point I would strongly favour negotiating him down to a lower contract than cutting him, as his leadership is still valuable to this team. As well as Harris played last year, he's no Harrison Smith.
    Yup, Cousins does well enough this and next year and he gets restructured. He doesn't he gets cut.
    Which means, since we didn't this year, unless Stanley looks like he could be 'next', we have to look at QB for a high pick next draft.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,010
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    Well, well, well... Look who it is.. Lol Just kidding man
    Cousins will be with us for at least three more years, so we really don't need to worry about getting a new QB or having one take his job. So we might as well get used to him being paid the way he is. But considering this teams cap history, I feel pretty confident that they will make good decisions and use of the cap.
    Letting Harris go could hurt for sure, but Harris isn't that much younger than Harrison and isn't as good or as consistent and he will want a good pay day, since it will basically be his only chance. Hell, he might not even get a good deal and may come back to the Vikes. Free agency is a risk.
    Reiff walks and we plug Ezra or a top draft pick there, and all they have to do is be average and he is replaced. It may not look like it now, and it's just my hunch, but our Oline has some good talent. They just need to put it on the field.
    This team is pretty damn young, but its got good mix of vets as well. We will be fine.
    Ya **** that, we won't.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,821
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    Well, well, well... Look who it is.. Lol Just kidding man
    Cousins will be with us for at least three more years, so we really don't need to worry about getting a new QB or having one take his job. So we might as well get used to him being paid the way he is. But considering this teams cap history, I feel pretty confident that they will make good decisions and use of the cap.
    Letting Harris go could hurt for sure, but Harris isn't that much younger than Harrison and isn't as good or as consistent and he will want a good pay day, since it will basically be his only chance. Hell, he might not even get a good deal and may come back to the Vikes. Free agency is a risk.
    Reiff walks and we plug Ezra or a top draft pick there, and all they have to do is be average and he is replaced. It may not look like it now, and it's just my hunch, but our Oline has some good talent. They just need to put it on the field.
    This team is pretty damn young, but its got good mix of vets as well. We will be fine.
    I see you just posted lol and the timing of this is rough but I will leave out what's happened today so far.

    Cousins being with us that long and us giving extension and more money is part of the issue I am talking about avoiding. Stop overpaying him and pushing cap hits down the road asap to try and make this current team better unless they really have a killer year. Our cap history hasn't included money for all these guys and a high paid QB pushing money back the way will have to though. What we have done in the past has often left us with cap but this approach is different is the issue (especially if we do it next year when we already kinda screwed ourselves cap wise, we either take the hit next year or keep pushing down the road further/more it seems).

    I am alright letting Harris go and Reiff as well but Ezra isn't even active today and the rest of the oline is still pretty poor too. We only have one pick in the top 70 most likely and will have no cap but need a starting safety, starting oline, maybe dline help as well as mentioned and that is without improving any other areas just fixing clear issues and gaps. The only way to keep Yannick is to keep adding more names and creating more holes like Barr/Rudolph. All of this and we now have one high pick and no cap to fill S/Oline/LB if we go that route.

    The 3 years leading up to getting Cousins Vikings went 32-16 with Teddy/Bradford/Keenum. We have gone 18-12-1 with Cousins so far not including today. I am not sure why we feel the need to keep paying him big money and pushing cap issues down the road with the idea we are on the cusp due to him or something.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,821
    Quote Originally Posted by natelpete View Post
    Being all in with a terrible oline (I know you can pull some stats that says they aren't, but they don't pass the eye test AT ALL), no interior dline, and very inexperienced CBs is not a good thing.

    You all may think I'm crazy, but I'm leaning towards signing Harris and parting ways with Smith, at safety. Harris is three years younger, should have a lot more left in the tank, and Smith has started to slow down a little. He's a Vikings legend and is obviously still good but he's already 31 and would be one of the easier salaries to shed next year ($2M dead money but saves us $8.75M unless I'm reading it wrong, over the cap doesn't have it labeled well). I know they won't do it, but if I had to pick one approach, that's what I'd do.

    Next draft needs to be safety then all dline and oline.
    I wouldn't let Smith go, Harris maybe keep depending on price and other moves but it just seems like a clear cap casualty unfortunately given our other moves.

    I agree that being all in with a poor oline, no interior D and inexperienced CB's isn't a good thing and that is essentially the point of my posts. We are really making a push without the team to do so and next season we set ourselves up for big decisions and potentially major moves/cuts or pushing large amounts down the road hurting future outlooks. I am for moving on from Cousins moreso than going all in further next year (unless we see something special this season).

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,010
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I see you just posted lol and the timing of this is rough but I will leave out what's happened today so far.

    Cousins being with us that long and us giving extension and more money is part of the issue I am talking about avoiding. Stop overpaying him and pushing cap hits down the road asap to try and make this current team better unless they really have a killer year. Our cap history hasn't included money for all these guys and a high paid QB pushing money back the way will have to though. What we have done in the past has often left us with cap but this approach is different is the issue (especially if we do it next year when we already kinda screwed ourselves cap wise, we either take the hit next year or keep pushing down the road further/more it seems).

    I am alright letting Harris go and Reiff as well but Ezra isn't even active today and the rest of the oline is still pretty poor too. We only have one pick in the top 70 most likely and will have no cap but need a starting safety, starting oline, maybe dline help as well as mentioned and that is without improving any other areas just fixing clear issues and gaps. The only way to keep Yannick is to keep adding more names and creating more holes like Barr/Rudolph. All of this and we now have one high pick and no cap to fill S/Oline/LB if we go that route.

    The 3 years leading up to getting Cousins Vikings went 32-16 with Teddy/Bradford/Keenum. We have gone 18-12-1 with Cousins so far not including today. I am not sure why we feel the need to keep paying him big money and pushing cap issues down the road with the idea we are on the cusp due to him or something.
    Ya after today, I'm not sure what to make of this team anymore. But, knowing the Vikes, they'll come back strong next week and raise all our hopes again like the tease they are.
    I'm with ya on Cousins. I don't like or want to keep giving him insane money when he is a very borderline top 10 QB, but we basically have no choice now. We just have to deal with it best we can. That's why I would've been all over getting Rosen here to be the backup. We need some competition there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •