Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vikings Sign RB Dalvin Cook to a 5 Year Extension

5/63. Not terrible.

Perfect timing. Just moments before Kamara agreed to more

Just saw the signings, it's a lot but also reasonable given other contracts kinda...

Question is how do we have cap next year? Did we give a 2nd for a one year rental or is Yannick also gonna be signed? Pierce is back. Reiff already took a cut and we need oline bad anyways so replacing would cost us but he will go I would think still. Harris has to be gone but now we need a safety.

We were already projected with - cap I see on otc for next year before this extension and with nothing for Yannick. Cutting Reiff and not resigning Harris or Yannick keeps us around even with this included.

I can't help but think the way to create cap needed is by moving on from Cousins at this point. We could try cutting like Reiff/Barr/Shemar/Kyle not bring back harris and not add any FA as well but that leaves us with oline/LB/Safety issues and in need of another TE probably as well and still may not be enough to keep Yannick either so add DE maybe too, unless he is alright with like 14 per much less than reported previously.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Just saw the signings, it's a lot but also reasonable given other contracts kinda...

Question is how do we have cap next year? Did we give a 2nd for a one year rental or is Yannick also gonna be signed? Pierce is back. Reiff already took a cut and we need oline bad anyways so replacing would cost us but he will go I would think still. Harris has to be gone but now we need a safety.

We were already projected with - cap I see on otc for next year before this extension and with nothing for Yannick. Cutting Reiff and not resigning Harris or Yannick keeps us around even with this included.

I can't help but think the way to create cap needed is by moving on from Cousins at this point. We could try cutting like Reiff/Barr/Shemar/Kyle not bring back harris and not add any FA as well but that leaves us with oline/LB/Safety issues and in need of another TE probably as well and still may not be enough to keep Yannick either so add DE maybe too, unless he is alright with like 14 per much less than reported previously.
    We could always convert a player salary into a signing bonus. Kendricks salary was converted to a signing bonus so the Cook deal could be completed. Could always do that again to get Yannick signed. The cap is a myth lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    We could always convert a player salary into a signing bonus. Kendricks salary was converted to a signing bonus so the Cook deal could be completed. Could always do that again to get Yannick signed. The cap is a myth lol

I mean sure and eventually we end up paying for it, the salary cap is far from a myth lol. There are ways to continually push back cap hits etc. sure but eventually you do have to deal with it. We can continue to push out more dead money into the future sure but that doesn't mean it dissapears it means we deal with it in later seasons as the bonus is prorated.

It will depend on how good this team is so we have to wait and see, if we aren't a top team though and either miss playoffs or lose in first round then what do you do next year? If we are right there where some may hope then I could understand making another push in this manner but it would require a lot more of this pushing contracts/dead money down the road hurting our future given the outlook already (because we have already started doing this to create this current team and need to do even more then)

I would have preferred less, but it'll also be nice to know he's going to remain a Viking....a negative being it's unlikely Mattison will be in a couple years, but who knows. I haven't seen the breakdown of Cook's deal to know how backloaded it is/isn't, etc
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I mean sure and eventually we end up paying for it, the salary cap is far from a myth lol. There are ways to continually push back cap hits etc. sure but eventually you do have to deal with it. We can continue to push out more dead money into the future sure but that doesn't mean it dissapears it means we deal with it in later seasons as the bonus is prorated.

It will depend on how good this team is so we have to wait and see, if we aren't a top team though and either miss playoffs or lose in first round then what do you do next year? If we are right there where some may hope then I could understand making another push in this manner but it would require a lot more of this pushing contracts/dead money down the road hurting our future given the outlook already (because we have already started doing this to create this current team and need to do even more then)
    Thats true but eventually the salary cap will go back up again. So money we spread over future years should still be something we can afford. Well likely lose a few guys like Harris, Reiff, and probably Rudy but we have young/cheap guys to replace them. Nobody to replace Harris yet but so far every safety to play next to Smith has been at least serviceable. If theres anything to be 100% confident in with this team its their ability to manage the cap efficiently.

2020 Vikings Draft:

i think any thing done for next year will start with cousins he has a 62 mill cap hit for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleplayer543 View Post
    i think any thing done for next year will start with cousins he has a 62 mill cap hit for next year.
    His cap hit is 31 million next year. 45 in 2022.

2020 Vikings Draft:

Thats true but eventually the salary cap will go back up again. So money we spread over future years should still be something we can afford. Well likely lose a few guys like Harris, Reiff, and probably Rudy but we have young/cheap guys to replace them. Nobody to replace Harris yet but so far every safety to play next to Smith has been at least serviceable. If theres anything to be 100% confident in with this team its their ability to manage the cap efficiently.

We haven't really ever taken these approaches to a high level though, I agree in the past what we have done was good with cap but now we are the team pushing it down the road and already over projected cap next year (with questions around cap given whats going on, doing so further next year is different than our history). I think we definitely will have to let those guys go and likely more if we plan to sign Yannick and bring in a draft class/fill out with FA replacing those guys.

The issue with spreading it out is being able to afford doing so is different than maximizing your cap space trying to compete. We are limiting ourselves in future years for this run and doing so next year to the level that may be needed if we keep Cousins could be kinda large. I think we have some good young talent and wouldn't want to just waste a couple years clearing it off (depending on below).

As I said we need to see what happens this year but I think moving from Cousins if we can get rid of that cap hit may be the best option cap wise and to keep the team competitive. If we are very close or make the SB etc. then it might be worth that shot but if we are worse than last year we might wanna rethink that approach before hurting the future.

Dalvin 5 Year Extension

We haven't really ever taken these approaches to a high level though, I agree in the past what we have done was good with cap but now we are the team pushing it down the road and already over projected cap next year (with questions around cap given whats going on, doing so further next year is different than our history). I think we definitely will have to let those guys go and likely more if we plan to sign Yannick and bring in a draft class/fill out with FA replacing those guys.

The issue with spreading it out is being able to afford doing so is different than maximizing your cap space trying to compete. We are limiting ourselves in future years for this run and doing so next year to the level that may be needed if we keep Cousins could be kinda large. I think we have some good young talent and wouldn't want to just waste a couple years clearing it off (depending on below).

As I said we need to see what happens this year but I think moving from Cousins if we can get rid of that cap hit may be the best option cap wise and to keep the team competitive. If we are very close or make the SB etc. then it might be worth that shot but if we are worse than last year we might wanna rethink that approach before hurting the future.
    I highly doubt we move on from Cousins honestly. More likely well see another contract extension. His 2022 cap hit is 45 million and that will be guaranteed if hes on the roster on the 3rd day of the league year. Considering he has 41 million in dead money if we move on, its a guarantee hell be on the roster. Well probably sign him to another extension and push that money down the road. Pushing his cap hit down the road will end up biting us in the *** eventually but the restructure with Kendricks wont. Even with moving his cash down the road his contract is still very reasonable.

The good thing is a lot of these contracts almost always have an out. Next year we can create cap space by letting Harris go (and netting a comp pick) along with cutting Reiff, Rudy, and Stephen. Barr is another could move on from starting 2021. Im sure even Cooks contract will have a reasonable out after 2-3 years.

Harrison Smith will also need an extension soon and we could extend him next year to open up more cash for 2021 to extend Yannick.

This team has been built on drafting and retaining our own guys so Im not too worried about how much well need in FA. As long as we hit on a few of these draft picks well be ok long term. I trust in Rob Brzezinski to continue to keep this team in a good place cap wise.

2020 Vikings Draft:

I highly doubt we move on from Cousins honestly. More likely well see another contract extension. His 2022 cap hit is 45 million and that will be guaranteed if hes on the roster on the 3rd day of the league year. Considering he has 41 million in dead money if we move on, its a guarantee hell be on the roster. Well probably sign him to another extension and push that money down the road. Pushing his cap hit down the road will end up biting us in the *** eventually but the restructure with Kendricks wont. Even with moving his cash down the road his contract is still very reasonable.

The good thing is a lot of these contracts almost always have an out. Next year we can create cap space by letting Harris go (and netting a comp pick) along with cutting Reiff, Rudy, and Stephen. Barr is another could move on from starting 2021. Im sure even Cooks contract will have a reasonable out after 2-3 years.

Harrison Smith will also need an extension soon and we could extend him next year to open up more cash for 2021 to extend Yannick.

This team has been built on drafting and retaining our own guys so Im not too worried about how much well need in FA. As long as we hit on a few of these draft picks well be ok long term. I trust in Rob Brzezinski to continue to keep this team in a good place cap wise.

I agree and that is actually the issue I am getting at, we are stuck now due to the decisions the FO has made. If we can't move on from him without that cap and will need to start doing what is laid out above after this season... Yikes. We need to win it all essentially as we are clearly all in and then will be working around an old Cousins with cap issues for multiple years after. Pushing his money down the road too is what I am getting at about our future and the issues to come. I guess it depends on how good you think Cousins is and how good he will be as he hits 33/34/35 but I am not a big fan of 40 mil per year or whatever for what I see as a slightly above average QB essentially.

Letting Harris go leaves a hole at safety and we already lack depth. We can get out but then need to replace and don't have cap or a 2nd round pick. Reiff also needs replacing and oline is already weak as it is. Barr needs replacing as well if we cut him loose too. The other two are a little easier but that still essentially creates the cap for this Dalvin signing and probably not even/just barely enough for Yannick on top let alone the draft picks and getting Fa replacements.

As I said we will see, if this team is a legit contender there is an argument for this moving forward. If we are not then I don't understand this approach outside of trying to sneak into some playoffs to save jobs or something. I think we have the potential to be better I just also hope we are not planning to do the above should the season show us we aren't a top team.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 09-13-2020 at 12:16 AM.

I agree and that is actually the issue I am getting at, we are stuck now due to the decisions the FO has made. If we can't move on from him without that cap and will need to start doing what is laid out above after this season... Yikes. We need to win it all essentially as we are clearly all in and then will be working around an old Cousins with cap issues for multiple years after. Pushing his money down the road too is what I am getting at about our future and the issues to come. I guess it depends on how good you think Cousins is and how good he will be as he hits 33/34/35 but I am not a big fan of 40 mil per year or whatever for what I see as a slightly above average QB essentially.

Letting Harris go leaves a hole at safety and we already lack depth. We can get out but then need to replace and don't have cap or a 2nd round pick. Reiff also needs replacing and oline is already weak as it is. Barr needs replacing as well if we cut him loose too. The other two are a little easier but that still essentially creates the cap for this Dalvin signing and probably not even/just barely enough for Yannick on top let alone the draft picks and getting Fa replacements.

As I said we will see, if this team is a legit contender there is an argument for this moving forward. If we are not then I don't understand this approach outside of trying to sneak into some playoffs to save jobs or something. I think we have the potential to be better I just also hope we are not planning to do the above should the season show us we aren't a top team.
    Well, well, well... Look who it is.. Lol Just kidding man
    Cousins will be with us for at least three more years, so we really don't need to worry about getting a new QB or having one take his job. So we might as well get used to him being paid the way he is. But considering this teams cap history, I feel pretty confident that they will make good decisions and use of the cap.
    Letting Harris go could hurt for sure, but Harris isn't that much younger than Harrison and isn't as good or as consistent and he will want a good pay day, since it will basically be his only chance. Hell, he might not even get a good deal and may come back to the Vikes. Free agency is a risk.
    Reiff walks and we plug Ezra or a top draft pick there, and all they have to do is be average and he is replaced. It may not look like it now, and it's just my hunch, but our Oline has some good talent. They just need to put it on the field.
    This team is pretty damn young, but its got good mix of vets as well. We will be fine.

Being all in with a terrible oline (I know you can pull some stats that says they aren't, but they don't pass the eye test AT ALL), no interior dline, and very inexperienced CBs is not a good thing.

You all may think I'm crazy, but I'm leaning towards signing Harris and parting ways with Smith, at safety. Harris is three years younger, should have a lot more left in the tank, and Smith has started to slow down a little. He's a Vikings legend and is obviously still good but he's already 31 and would be one of the easier salaries to shed next year ($2M dead money but saves us $8.75M unless I'm reading it wrong, over the cap doesn't have it labeled well). I know they won't do it, but if I had to pick one approach, that's what I'd do.

Next draft needs to be safety then all dline and oline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast