Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pat Riley Thread

Tell me your thoughts on Riles. He took a lot of "Heat" around here (hehe) but his team is looking like a contender again and has very good young talent. They never tanked, always over achieved, and face great adversity (Zo kindey's, LeBron's departure, Bosh's blood clots). They are known for demanding fitness and have stuck with Spro through thick and thin. Maybe not the Spurs of the East but are the Heat an example of what a good NBA franchise looks like?
    Last edited by ewing; 09-11-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Tell me your thoughts on Riles. He took a lot of "Heat" around here (hehe) but his team is looking like a contender again and hasd very good young talent. They never tanked, always over achieved, and face great adversity (Zo kindey's, LeBron's departure, Bosh's blood clots). They known for demanding fitness and have stuck with Spro through thick and thin. Maybe not the Spurs of the East but are the Heat an example of what a good NBA franchise looks like?
    He’s elite, they will be the spurs of the East. They’ll be in contention the next 10 seasons barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Bringing in Bosh really makes me wish he was on this current team. He’d be perfect for Bam and next to Bam.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2

As a coach and GM he's elite. He's one of the best all time at finding gaps in the rules or ways to take advantage of the system even for tiny gains for his teams.

I think it's time he retires and while it will be a shame for him to move on I am hoping he'll make more TV appearances and we will be able to hear is unfiltered opinions.

He’s such an interesting case to look at. I put him right in the Ainge case. Top 5, but something very fortuitous happened when they should have sunk to the bottom.

Had the Wade/Shaq magic going on. Then they got as bad as having the #2 pick. Beasley didn’t work out but he was able to maneuver out from contracts to have the space to sign the big 3. Say what you want about knowing but he doesn’t do that if Wade doesn’t give him the heads up.

Bron leaves, still has a good team. Bosh’s unfortunate situation should have again hurt them, but he got Dragic and found Whiteside. That’s about the time he handed out a bunch of strange contracts.

In what could have easily been a down year they get Butler wanting to be there, for guys in perfect roles, and came up again because they were able to unload final years of some of those terrible contracts and now sits in a good place for 2021.

Theres a certain level of luck with some of this and him and Ainge have the ability to use luck and skill to really build something.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    He’s such an interesting case to look at. I put him right in the Ainge case. Top 5, but something very fortuitous happened when they should have sunk to the bottom.

Had the Wade/Shaq magic going on. Then they got as bad as having the #2 pick. Beasley didn’t work out but he was able to maneuver out from contracts to have the space to sign the big 3. Say what you want about knowing but he doesn’t do that if Wade doesn’t give him the heads up.

Bron leaves, still has a good team. Bosh’s unfortunate situation should have again hurt them, but he got Dragic and found Whiteside. That’s about the time he handed out a bunch of strange contracts.

In what could have easily been a down year they get Butler wanting to be there, for guys in perfect roles, and came up again because they were able to unload final years of some of those terrible contracts and now sits in a good place for 2021.

Theres a certain level of luck with some of this and him and Ainge have the ability to use luck and skill to really build something.
    Just leaving out the Lakers and Knicks?

People talk about him not tanking. But they went 4 years with Wade, a top 30 all tome great, in his prime and not making it out of the first round. Why? Because Pat was saving cap space for a FA run. He was kind of tanking, but that ok. He’s done a great job of putting a competitive, worth watching team out there but not selling out to make a fake run. They’re usually in good position to capitalize on opportunity and make real runs.

I think Miami, Toronto, Boston and Houston have been the exemplary franchise in terms of how to really manage those years where you don’t have an all time great to win a title with and still be competitive while leaving options open to get one.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Riley is great at both coaching and being a GM. My only problem with him is pushing out SVG in Miami so he could win another ring.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    People talk about him not tanking. But they went 4 years with Wade, a top 30 all tome great, in his prime and not making it out of the first round. Why? Because Pat was saving cap space for a FA run. He was kind of tanking, but that ok. He’s done a great job of putting a competitive, worth watching team out there but not selling out to make a fake run. They’re usually in good position to capitalize on opportunity and make real runs.

I think Miami, Toronto, Boston and Houston have been the exemplary franchise in terms of how to really manage those years where you don’t have an all time great to win a title with and still be competitive while leaving options open to get one.
    Well a big chunk of those 4 years you speak of we were dealing with major Wade injuries.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Riley is great at both coaching and being a GM. My only problem with him is pushing out SVG in Miami so he could win another ring.
    They were underperforming with SVG, he did what he had to do imo.

8/24/2

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Just leaving out the Lakers and Knicks?
    Huh?

I literally just got done saying this in the Morey thread, but Riley's "amazing GM job" in getting Wade, Lebron and Bosh together never really impressed me that much. It's not a very hard sell to get superstar friends to want to play together in one of the most fun cities on the planet.

I'm actually way more impressed with the job he's done as a GM since then. Getting Lebron was the easy part. Rebuilding from Lebron and Wade is hard. To have retooled as quickly as he did with as many shrewd moves as he's made, the man has earned his recognition as one of the best GMs in the game.

I do still think Miami is maybe outperforming its talent a bit this postseason and will hit a wall at some point, but you can't deny how much they've dramatically exceeded everyone's expectations going into this season. And Riley deserves a ton of credit for the roster he's put together that's allowed them to do that.

If I were a star player, I'd want to play in Miami now. And not just because of the location, but because I know Riley will get the right pieces in place regardless of cap challenges and other issues facing the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I literally just got done saying this in the Morey thread, but Riley's "amazing GM job" in getting Wade, Lebron and Bosh together never really impressed me that much. It's not a very hard sell to get superstar friends to want to play together in one of the most fun cities on the planet.

I'm actually way more impressed with the job he's done as a GM since then. Getting Lebron was the easy part. Rebuilding from Lebron and Wade is hard. To have retooled as quickly as he did with as many shrewd moves as he's made, the man has earned his recognition as one of the best GMs in the game.

I do still think Miami is maybe outperforming its talent a bit this postseason and will hit a wall at some point, but you can't deny how much they've dramatically exceeded everyone's expectations going into this season. And Riley deserves a ton of credit for the roster he's put together that's allowed them to do that.

If I were a star player, I'd want to play in Miami now. And not just because of the location, but because I know Riley will get the right pieces in place regardless of cap challenges and other issues facing the roster.
    And this is the floor of the Jimmy era. Where did you have them before the season started?

8/24/2

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    And this is the floor of the Jimmy era. Where did you have them before the season started?
    Middle of the playoff seeds in the east, probably around 5th. But they're playing more like a 1-2 seed right now. It'll be interesting to see how they perform against Toronto or Boston. I think Miami has the best player in that series in Butler, but I think those teams might have more really good to great players overall on their rosters.

Should they get to the Finals, though, I do think the Lakers or Clippers will win fairly easily (6 games tops) against any of those three teams. In the same way that the Rockets played well in Game 3, but still didn't really come close to winning, I just don't think other teams in the league are as talented at the top as the two LA squads.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post

Add Dallas too. Didn't need to tank a bunch of years to get back to playoff contention.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Add Dallas too. Didn't need to tank a bunch of years to get back to playoff contention.
    I mean they did land the #5 (?) pick and got lucky that 3 teams did not want a generational talent one of which traded with them, followed by a team deciding to give up on a franchise cornerstone. I would say that was more luck than good moves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast