Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Daryl Morey era: The most underappreciated GM in all of professional sports

So, as I continue to down alcoholic beverages amid a devastating Game 4 loss that hints at the last gasp of the Rockets season, a thought dawned on me just now: Daryl Morey and Mike D'Antoni could be on their way out.

I genuinely think D'Antoni is a damn good basketball coach whose offensive system was ahead of his time and who came one hamstring away from cementing his legacy among the best coaches of his generation.

But his job as a coach pails in comparison to the job that Daryl Morey has done as a GM, and if he has one more game left as the Rockets' general manager, consider this my ode to the greatest general manager in Houston professional sports history.

Since Morey took over GM of the Rockets in 2007-08, Daryl Morey:
    - Traded practically nothing for Luis Scola
    - Drafted Aaron Brooks
    - Drafted Carl Landry
    - In one season, turned the 2007-08 Rockets into the best, deepest team of the T-Mac/Yao era that legitimately challenged the Lakers a year later despite no McGrady and Yao getting hurt
    - Turned McGrady's corpse and a bunch of nothing assets into Kevin Martin
    - Turned Rafer Alston into Kyle Lowry, uncovering Lowry's potential
    - Traded Brooks for Goran Dragic, uncovering Dragic's potential
    - Kept the team alive as a perennial 45-win team because Les Alexander refused to rebuild and Morey was too ****ing good at his job
    - Discovered Jeremy Lin (and later Robert Covington) in the G-League
    - Was one of the few GMs to successful use the "poison pill" contracts to later sign Lin and Omer Asik to deals in the offseason the team was supposed to be rebuilding
    - Later on in that offseason turned Lowry into the No. 8 pick, which would later become James ****ing Harden, helping uncover a generational talent and change the franchise's history for a decade
    - Drafted Chandler Parsons
    - Drafted Clint Capela
    - Discovered Patrick Beverley
    - Finally landed his second superstar in Dwight Howard when everyone on the planet thought he would sign with a larger market team
    - Continuously added former stars and reclamation projects through veteran minimum deals who would later become huge rotational pieces, including Josh Smith, Austin Rivers, Kenneth Faried, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Gerald Green and Ben McLemore
    - Signed Eric Gordon to a deal that would resurrect his career
    - Drafted Montrezl Harrell
    - Signed PJ Tucker to a huge contract discount
    - Traded Beverley, Lou Will and a bunch of random nothing contracts into Chris Paul
    - When he was forced to deal Westbrook, recognized the roster shortcomings and traded Capela for Covington in a deal that somehow made them significantly better
    - Never finished with a sub-.500-record and whose teams won 50+ games seven times in 12 seasons (not counting this year, which would have been eight)
    - Developed a roster that pushed a once-in-a-generation team in the Durant/Curry Warriors to a seven game series that would have resulted in a ring if not for one hamstring injury

...and he did all this without the benefit of Houston ever having a top 10 draft pick, being a mid-sized media market and while working for two fairly mediocre (or in Fertitta's case, horrible) owners.

If this is the end for Morey, I salute the man, because there's not a GM on the planet who could have done a better job with the hand he was dealt. And everyone on this forum would be so lucky as to have him be their GM. Cheers, Daryl.

Edit: Somehow forgot about Patrick Beverley.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 09-10-2020 at 10:50 PM.

Great post.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Make sure you down some water before bed, my man.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.

Donít forget to set out some Advil for the morning

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Make sure you down some water before bed, my man.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Donít forget to set out some Advil for the morning
    You guys laugh, but I'm not that drunk. Just depressed. If you felt like your favorite sports team was at the end of an era and might be staring at a decade-plus of mediocrity, you would be, too. I'm just trying to recognize the man's accomplishments, because he doesn't get nearly enough credit for them.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    You guys laugh, but I'm not that drunk. Just depressed. If you felt like your favorite sports team was at the end of an era and might be staring at a decade-plus of mediocrity, you would be, too. I'm just trying to recognize the man's accomplishments, because he doesn't get nearly enough credit for them.
    Yeah, can't say I know the feeling.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Yeah, can't say I know the feeling.
    You and I both know you can, though, and that you're being sarcastic. All the more reason to appreciate this thread. Except imagine if Lebron didn't bring that title to Cleveland. That's closer to how I'm feeling right about now.

Very good GM, his system just ended up not working and now Iím seeing Harden photoshopped in Heat jerseys all over Twitter
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2

Wow Daryl Morey knows his basketball. Nice resume.

Canít forget when he landed Pau Gasol and then he didnít.

Morey is an underrated GM for sure. Too bad he couldn't bring a title to Houston

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Very good GM, his system just ended up not working and now Iím seeing Harden photoshopped in Heat jerseys all over Twitter
    Harden would look good in a Heat jersey. What are the odds Rockets blow it up? Westbrooks gotta go for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Harden would look good in a Heat jersey. What are the odds Rockets blow it up? Westbrooks gotta go for sure

I think they blow it up, donít know if I want harden. Have always hated him but the system would maybe force him to play a style I enjoy.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    How can you be depressed about where the team is and his heading and praise the man whos responsible for it ?? Lol cmon my bro snap out of it. If morey is as good as you say he can swiftly retool this team and trust me he aint going no where.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 09-11-2020 at 01:01 AM.

I think they blow it up, donít know if I want harden. Have always hated him but the system would maybe force him to play a style I enjoy.
    Morey will die trying to win a ship with Harden.

Just for fun.

Philadelphia gets Westbrook, Gordon and Tucker and Miamiís first round pick in 2022, and Houstonís first round in 2022.

Rockets get Embiid, Butler, Herro, Robinson and Nunn.

Heat get Harden, Harris.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast