Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Giants sign Justin Smoak

The Giants have agreed to sign free agent first baseman Justin Smoak, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports. Smoak was released by the Brewers yesterday.

Smoak came to Milwaukee on a one-year contract worth $5MM in guaranteed money ($4MM in salary, and $1MM on a buyout of a $5.5MM club option for 2021). Over 126 plate appearances this season, Smoak simply never got on track, hitting .186/.262/.381 with five home runs and eventually becoming an expendable piece. The Brewers will eat the remainder of the salary owed to Smoak this season, minus the prorated minimum salary that will be paid by the Giants for however much time Smoak sees in the big leagues over the final two-plus weeks.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...edium=facebook

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

I had a feeling the Giants might grab Smoak when I saw the Brewers released him. Hopefully he can help this team out down the stretch, though I don't see much of an avenue for him to get significant playing time. Probably DH here and there as well as provide some power off the bench. He's a switch hitting first baseman with below average defense and platoon splits that favor him playing vs. RHP.

Dude had a nice 2017, hitting .270/.355/.529 with 38 HR's.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant