Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason

Would be nice to get Athanasiou and Pietrangelo, but I'd settle for Shattenkirk for a lesser term and AAV I guess. What do you think Shat will cost?

...Maybe Duclair...but I think I would like Athanasiou more...

Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Would be nice to get Athanasiou and Pietrangelo, but I'd settle for Shattenkirk for a lesser term and AAV I guess. What do you think Shat will cost?
    The Ducks got Shattenkirk for 3 years $3.9M AAV...

Grant back to the Ducks

What about Tanev as an alternative to Piets?

EDIT: No Way to that...just read he wants at least 5 years and north of the $4.5M AAV he recently completed. About to be 31 too? No thanks...

ADD ON: I will call for Fletcher to be fired if he gives Tanev this deal AND a NMC. That would force us to use an expansion protection spot on him too. lol
    Last edited by LLMunchie619; 10-09-2020 at 04:27 PM.

You can clap it up, but that's not accurate. You trade Ghost and you have the space available for Piets (13M in cap space). Piets will likely demand something around 5 years 40-45M. You don't need to do that in 48 hours so not sure where that came from.

I will say this, JVR doesn't really need to be traded if we don't find him somewhere. This player still pots 20 goals a season and had 27 goals just a year ago (36 and 29 the two years before). He can still be useful on our team on the PP and on a top 9 role. We can also just expose him at the expansion draft and hope Seattle takes him since he would be a top 6 potential player for them with a 2 year contract remaining. He should be an enticing player for them if he pots 15 PP goals this year and another 5-10 at even strength.

Ghost needs a new home before his value is gone. He could very possibly return to the near Norris level he was at before and that is what teams are willing to possibly bank on right now. The chances of that are around 30% for 70% against with us. It probably increases by 10% on just about any other team.

Sign Piets...our defense would be able to carry us to a cup, but that would even help our offense in itself. Also, we have some major guys coming back and up in Frost, Lindblom, Patrick, and a second year of Farabee (who hopefully will have a little more muscle). Those are 4 top 6 potential players (play in our top 9) that should either improve or be added to the lineup.
    Oh, it's very true. While the idea of getting Pietrangelo is nice, it's not happening. And you don't trade Ghost unless there's already pen to paper on a replacement. You don't trade someone HOPING that an FA wants to play for your team. That's bad asset management outside of Be a GM mode. As for the 48 hrs thing, don't come at me with that, I didn't bring up time. And no way in hell do I want anything to do with that contract going over 3 years. No thanks. Idc how good he is now. He's not going to be the missing bit that makes us a contender and it's going to **** the team cap wise.

Ghost looked great in the 2 or 3 games he got. Relax. He'll be fine. Let's not sell low on every single player that has a bad year, or you'll end up with a team like Detroit's but with a ton of 5th round picks.

I'm sorry, I've read your posts for over a decade on these forums.... you're just flat out wrong about signing Piets being the piece to get us to the cup. If this team was in Dallas's position, sure. I'll buy that. But this team is NOT one dman away from going toe to toe with Boston or Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I agree with you on this, he had a solid B draft.

Id rather have both, but if it is an or situation ... Im not sure I agree with you is going after Pietrangelo ... Id much rather have Laine, and elite, 65, 200+ RW 22 year old goal scorer for the next 7 years at 10m/year than a 30 year old defender, who is still good, but would be 7m+ for 5 years ... I think Laine was only dogging it last 2 years for the Jets because they didnt resign him to a 10m+ deal after his 44 goal second season when he was 19/20 years old. I honesty dont blame him ... he is a threat.

These many articles linking us to Laine are tempting. I have only seen Eklund attach us to Pietrangelo ... not sure I believe that there is mutual interest there.

Some nights, Sanheim looks like he has a higher ceiling than Provorov, most every night provorov looks like the franchise ... I wouldnt move Provorov for Laine ... Id probably move him for Eichel ... ... but Id for sure move Sanheim for Laine

What would you pay for Laine?
    Agreed. Laine over Pietrangelo all day long. And no, Pietrangelo doesn't want to come here. Let's be honest, he's either staying somewhere close to where his wife's family is or to where he's from.

Our defense is good. Fletch seems to agree since we haven't thrown money at a dman or made any trades to pick one up. Homegrown defense wins cups, not overpriced FA's. The defense is fine. The timely scoring is what's lacking, which is insane to me cuz we have a few players that have some really good shots...but no one freaking shoots....

What if we just made Ghost the left hand 2RW sniper we want :rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Thinking Pietrangelo is taking between 8-9 mil aav for just 5 years is a more than optimistic outlook. Doughty and Karlsson are the comps to look at at 11m and 11.5 mil aav and with quite a bit more term than the 5 years here. Somebody will pay it. As nice as it would be to have him, you have to weigh that against the potential damage you do to your cap situation down the road. Back end of a max term contract has the potential to be really bad.
    Exactly. Very well said.
    Last edited by lambofgode3x; 10-09-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lambofgode3x View Post
    Oh, it's very true. While the idea of getting Pietrangelo is nice, it's not happening. And you don't trade Ghost unless there's already pen to paper on a replacement. You don't trade someone HOPING that an FA wants to play for your team. That's bad asset management outside of Be a GM mode. As for the 48 hrs thing, don't come at me with that, I didn't bring up time. And no way in hell do I want anything to do with that contract going over 3 years. No thanks. Idc how good he is now. He's not going to be the missing bit that makes us a contender and it's going to **** the team cap wise.

Ghost looked great in the 2 or 3 games he got. Relax. He'll be fine. Let's not sell low on every single player that has a bad year, or you'll end up with a team like Detroit's but with a ton of 5th round picks.

I'm sorry, I've read your posts for over a decade on these forums.... you're just flat out wrong about signing Piets being the piece to get us to the cup. If this team was in Dallas's position, sure. I'll buy that. But this team is NOT one dman away from going toe to toe with Boston or Tampa.
    What have you seen that makes you think our coaches are going to play Ghost. For two years now we have played guys like Hagg, Braun, and rookies over Ghost. You're entitled to your opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts. Pay attention, you did your clapping reply to someone that absolutely did say something about time being within 48 hours. My post had nothing to do with you, but the response to which you "clapped" for.

I agree that Ghost looked okay (not great) in the games he played, but if he is not being played, he shouldn't be on the team taking up $4.5M AAV. That's not even selling low, because as I have said, Ghost has value to some teams because they honestly believe he may get back to that near Norris level. He also is at $4.5M per season so that's also enticing during this economic Covid Cap deal. Him being fine has nothing to do with it at this point. If we are going to play him every night, YES KEEP HIM; if not, deal him and let it be over with. The cap space wouldn't be for HOPING for an FA, it would be to have financial freedom for this FA and the next couple FAs. The cap space would also be able to help with the ability to make moves at the TDL.

Piets is one piece of a few I would hope would put us to getting towards the cup...if you actually read what I was saying you would realize that. I would like to try to snag Laine as well. If not, players like Farabee and Hart taking another step forward, and players like Lindblom and Patrick returning, and players like Frost joining the lineup and making an impact have everything to do with us being closer to the cup. Hell even Provy, Sanheim, Myers, and TK could take a step forward. Piets would be a HUGE piece towards being CUP CONTENDERS. We are already on the brink of it without him.

Piets...cash...that's all. Best defense in the league at that point as long as everyone is healthy. Tough to play against all over the ice and someone else that Provy can learn from. Honestly, it's not the sexier of the two moves, but Piets may be the more valuable...we shall see though.
    Carolina would like to have a word about that lol.

I do agree that there's no need to throw TK in there tho. That would be a massive overpay.

Agreed. Laine over Pietrangelo all day long. And no, Pietrangelo doesn't want to come here. Let's be honest, he's either staying somewhere close to where his wife's family is or to where he's from.

Our defense is good. Fletch seems to agree since we haven't thrown money at a dman or made any trades to pick one up. Homegrown defense wins cups, not overpriced FA's. The defense is fine. The timely scoring is what's lacking, which is insane to me cuz we have a few players that have some really good shots...but no one freaking shoots....

What if we just made Ghost the left hand 2RW sniper we want :rofl:

Exactly. Very well said.
    I can agree with most of the first part except we don't have the same Defense as last year since, you know, Nisky decided to retire...He was our #2 dman.

There are articles stating he is expected to get no more than 9M AAV over 5-7 years.

https://theathletic.com/2125412/2020...ary-cap-space/

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...4ae70bc22.html

The other article I had was talking about how the covid revenue is going to actually hurt his ability to get term and AAV. I can't find that one right now, but I'm sure you can find it. I dont know where you all are getting this Pietrangelo being worth 11M AAV. I mean it could happen, but if that's what he gets, than I agree, you don't try to get him.

Carolina would like to have a word about that lol.

I do agree that there's no need to throw TK in there tho. That would be a massive overpay.
    Haha, don't say that too loud. I live in NC and my buddy and I like to give each other a hard time, but I agree they have the ability to do so.

i completely disagree.

pietrangelo is the kind of player who opens that possibility. another move or two might be needed to round out the roster at some point, but those moves will be relatively minor in comparison (something like a first round pick/prospects for hall, dadonov or kane).

the difference in impact between pietrangelo and brandon tanev is miles wider than the difference between patrick laine and JVR. that's especially true come playoff time.
    Last edited by steagles; 10-09-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    i completely disagree.

pietrangelo is the kind of player who opens that possibility. another move or two might be needed to round out the roster at some point, but those moves will be relatively minor in comparison (something like a first round pick/prospects for hall, dadonov or kane).

the difference in impact between pietrangelo and brandon tanev is miles wider than the difference between patrick laine and JVR. that's especially true come playoff time.
    I agree...and mark my words, we do NOT want to be stuck with Tanev. lol

What have you seen that makes you think our coaches are going to play Ghost. For two years now we have played guys like Hagg, Braun, and rookies over Ghost. You're entitled to your opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts. Pay attention, you did your clapping reply to someone that absolutely did say something about time being within 48 hours. My post had nothing to do with you, but the response to which you "clapped" for.

I agree that Ghost looked okay (not great) in the games he played, but if he is not being played, he shouldn't be on the team taking up $4.5M AAV. That's not even selling low, because as I have said, Ghost has value to some teams because they honestly believe he may get back to that near Norris level. He also is at $4.5M per season so that's also enticing during this economic Covid Cap deal. Him being fine has nothing to do with it at this point. If we are going to play him every night, YES KEEP HIM; if not, deal him and let it be over with. The cap space wouldn't be for HOPING for an FA, it would be to have financial freedom for this FA and the next couple FAs. The cap space would also be able to help with the ability to make moves at the TDL.

Piets is one piece of a few I would hope would put us to getting towards the cup...if you actually read what I was saying you would realize that. I would like to try to snag Laine as well. If not, players like Farabee and Hart taking another step forward, and players like Lindblom and Patrick returning, and players like Frost joining the lineup and making an impact have everything to do with us being closer to the cup. Hell even Provy, Sanheim, Myers, and TK could take a step forward. Piets would be a HUGE piece towards being CUP CONTENDERS. We are already on the brink of it without him.
    Agreeing isn't bringing it up. Maybe ask the guy who wrote it where he got the time frame from? Seems simple to me...but hey.

If they weren't going to play him next year, changes would have been made already.... There's been plenty of time to make changes. History shows that if it hasn't happened by now, the likelihood will continue to decrease with each passing day. Soooo, there's that.

You know what team he has a lot of value to? Ours. Cuz he has a great first pass and we need a few dmen that can help us get out of the damn zone. And don't forget, it's hard to justify playing a recently recovered from injury Ghost when that lineup got you that far. You could tell that Ghost had a step and that he was ready...but the rest of the team wasn't used to him in the lineup. He was pretty good in the dzone too...but when you're not used to playing with someone, it takes time. For example, a few times on the PP when he and G tried their little pass thing they used to do but missed it by THAT much. That's what the regular season's for.

Paying a declining asset that much money to get CLOSER is bad asset management. That's how you end up with an Abdelkader contract. You only do that if it means you become the #1 favorite for a few years. Signing him to what he's going to ACTUALLY want will mean that some of your young guys coming up will be going bye bye cuz you wanted to sign a 30 year old to just get CLOSER.

I can agree with most of the first part except we don't have the same Defense as last year since, you know, Nisky decided to retire...He was our #2 dman.

There are articles stating he is expected to get no more than 9M AAV over 5-7 years.

https://theathletic.com/2125412/2020...ary-cap-space/

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...4ae70bc22.html

The other article I had was talking about how the covid revenue is going to actually hurt his ability to get term and AAV. I can't find that one right now, but I'm sure you can find it. I dont know where you all are getting this Pietrangelo being worth 11M AAV. I mean it could happen, but if that's what he gets, than I agree, you don't try to get him.
    I can show you articles where people said someone won't be traded and they were the next day...means nothing.

And Niskanen or not, our defense is still pretty damn good. Time for Provy to step up. I know he's only 23 and still has a lot to learn, but at least now he's had SOME mentorship and he looked pretty ready in the return to play.

And that's because that's what's called his "fair market value". Compared to other dmen of his caliber, that's what he SHOULD make. Would I pay that? **** no! But it is what it is.

Covid cap or not, i don't want a 35 year old dman making 9 mil with potentially two more years of term left after that when players like Brink will starting to come up for contracts. You only sign him to a 3 year contract TOPS and that's assuming you are prepared to make a trade with Seattle to not **** you over.

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast