Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason

I liked the Foerster pick. Not thrilled with any other pick Fletcher made this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    again, I would go back to getting rakell. i think he would be a lot cheaper than laine
    I still hold to my guns that we should have paid what it would have taken to get William Karlsson from the Knights. He'd have been a better 2c than Hayes for us, imo.

if you get rid of jvr's contract somehow and sign hall for 3 years 8 million, do you do it?

hearing that is what he is going to get from colorado...
    Depends on the cost of dumping that contract. If you have to give him with a 1st or 2 2nd's, then it essentially becomes JVR and a first/2 2nd's for Hall. That seems like a trade you make.

i wouldn't mind koivu at a 1 year deal:

might allow us to trade laughton for a nice pick...or maybe laughton for palat
    I really don't think we need another LW. He'd be a nice option, but really, we need center depth more than wing depth at this point.

i wouldn't mind koivu at a 1 year deal:
    it doesn't look like he has a lot left in the tank, but he'd make a lot of sense as an insurance policy against nolan patrick. it's basically the same role i see for derrick grant.
    I liked the Foerster pick. Not thrilled with any other pick Fletcher made this year.
    mclennen seems like the kind of pick that people should love because there is literally 0% chance that he will be a bottom 6 forward.

from last word on sports:

An undersized winger, McClennon makes up for it with outstanding skating. He is an absolute speedster. He has a great first step and outstanding acceleration. McClennon creates issues on the rush with his ability to get behind defenders both with and without the puck. ... McClennon is stronger on the puck than one would expect given his lack of size. He has the balance to fight through checks and battle for loose pucks.
    McClennon is a pure goal scorer, with an excellent arsenal of shots. His wrist and snapshots are very accurate and feature quick releases. His quick hands can change the angle on the release right before he shoots

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    it doesn't look like he has a lot left in the tank, but he'd make a lot of sense as an insurance policy against nolan patrick. it's basically the same role i see for derrick grant.
    mclennen seems like the kind of pick that people should love because there is literally 0% chance that he will be a bottom 6 forward.

from last word on sports:
    Hard pass. There were better prospects that didn't get drafted.

Hard pass. There were better prospects that didn't get drafted.
    fair enough. i didn't track the draft very closely this year, so i'm not as booked up on this as i have been in the past.

i'd just say this draft felt pretty inoffensive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lambofgode3x View Post
    You can clap it up, but that's not accurate. You trade Ghost and you have the space available for Piets (13M in cap space). Piets will likely demand something around 5 years 40-45M. You don't need to do that in 48 hours so not sure where that came from.

I will say this, JVR doesn't really need to be traded if we don't find him somewhere. This player still pots 20 goals a season and had 27 goals just a year ago (36 and 29 the two years before). He can still be useful on our team on the PP and on a top 9 role. We can also just expose him at the expansion draft and hope Seattle takes him since he would be a top 6 potential player for them with a 2 year contract remaining. He should be an enticing player for them if he pots 15 PP goals this year and another 5-10 at even strength.

Ghost needs a new home before his value is gone. He could very possibly return to the near Norris level he was at before and that is what teams are willing to possibly bank on right now. The chances of that are around 30% for 70% against with us. It probably increases by 10% on just about any other team.

Sign Piets...our defense would be able to carry us to a cup, but that would even help our offense in itself. Also, we have some major guys coming back and up in Frost, Lindblom, Patrick, and a second year of Farabee (who hopefully will have a little more muscle). Those are 4 top 6 potential players (play in our top 9) that should either improve or be added to the lineup.

fair enough. i didn't track the draft very closely this year, so i'm not as booked up on this as i have been in the past.

i'd just say this draft felt pretty inoffensive to me.
    I agree with you on this, he had a solid B draft.

Id rather have both, but if it is an or situation ... Im not sure I agree with you is going after Pietrangelo ... Id much rather have Laine, and elite, 65, 200+ RW 22 year old goal scorer for the next 7 years at 10m/year than a 30 year old defender, who is still good, but would be 7m+ for 5 years ... I think Laine was only dogging it last 2 years for the Jets because they didnt resign him to a 10m+ deal after his 44 goal second season when he was 19/20 years old. I honesty dont blame him ... he is a threat.

These many articles linking us to Laine are tempting. I have only seen Eklund attach us to Pietrangelo ... not sure I believe that there is mutual interest there.

Some nights, Sanheim looks like he has a higher ceiling than Provorov, most every night provorov looks like the franchise ... I wouldnt move Provorov for Laine ... Id probably move him for Eichel ... ... but Id for sure move Sanheim for Laine

What would you pay for Laine?

Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    You can clap it up, but that's not accurate. You trade Ghost and you have the space available for Piets (13M in cap space). Piets will likely demand something around 5 years 40-45M. You don't need to do that in 48 hours so not sure where that came from.

I will say this, JVR doesn't really need to be traded if we don't find him somewhere. This player still pots 20 goals a season and had 27 goals just a year ago (36 and 29 the two years before). He can still be useful on our team on the PP and on a top 9 role. We can also just expose him at the expansion draft and hope Seattle takes him since he would be a top 6 potential player for them with a 2 year contract remaining. He should be an enticing player for them if he pots 15 PP goals this year and another 5-10 at even strength.

Ghost needs a new home before his value is gone. He could very possibly return to the near Norris level he was at before and that is what teams are willing to possibly bank on right now. The chances of that are around 30% for 70% against with us. It probably increases by 10% on just about any other team.

Sign Piets...our defense would be able to carry us to a cup, but that would even help our offense in itself. Also, we have some major guys coming back and up in Frost, Lindblom, Patrick, and a second year of Farabee (who hopefully will have a little more muscle). Those are 4 top 6 potential players (play in our top 9) that should either improve or be added to the lineup.
    Thinking Pietrangelo is taking between 8-9 mil aav for just 5 years is a more than optimistic outlook. Doughty and Karlsson are the comps to look at at 11m and 11.5 mil aav and with quite a bit more term than the 5 years here. Somebody will pay it. As nice as it would be to have him, you have to weigh that against the potential damage you do to your cap situation down the road. Back end of a max term contract has the potential to be really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I agree with you on this, he had a solid B draft.

Id rather have both, but if it is an or situation ... Im not sure I agree with you is going after Pietrangelo ... Id much rather have Laine, and elite, 65, 200+ RW 22 year old goal scorer for the next 7 years at 10m/year than a 30 year old defender, who is still good, but would be 7m+ for 5 years ... I think Laine was only dogging it last 2 years for the Jets because they didnt resign him to a 10m+ deal after his 44 goal second season when he was 19/20 years old. I honesty dont blame him ... he is a threat.

These many articles linking us to Laine are tempting. I have only seen Eklund attach us to Pietrangelo ... not sure I believe that there is mutual interest there.

Some nights, Sanheim looks like he has a higher ceiling than Provorov, most every night provorov looks like the franchise ... I wouldnt move Provorov for Laine ... Id probably move him for Eichel ... ... but Id for sure move Sanheim for Laine

What would you pay for Laine?
    100% agree, would rather have Laine than a 30 yo Pietrangelo.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

Thinking Pietrangelo is taking between 8-9 mil aav for just 5 years is a more than optimistic outlook. Doughty and Karlsson are the comps to look at at 11m and 11.5 mil aav and with quite a bit more term than the 5 years here. Somebody will pay it. As nice as it would be to have him, you have to weigh that against the potential damage you do to your cap situation down the road. Back end of a max term contract has the potential to be really bad.
    i'm not sure how much money is actually out there for pietrangelo. this is a very weird offseason and there is a lot of uncertainty, and so it is very possible that the market collapses. we all generally understand this, right. it's why noone thinks JVR is tradeable.

if the market is that dire, then even 8 or 9 million per year could turn out to be an overshoot.

100% agree, would rather have Laine than a 30 yo Pietrangelo.
    that's not the full equation, though.

option A:
    in: laine
    out: sanheim, konecny

option B:
    in: pietrangelo
    out: *crickets*

laine comes at a cost. pietrangelo is free.

I'd offer Ghost, Patty, Sandstrom, a higher end prospect (not Frost), and a pick (maybe we can squeeze JVR in to, I doubt it but worth a try) for Laine. I'd go after Krug, Brodie, Barrie (1 or 2 year prove it deal), or Shattenkirk (1 or 2 year deal only) but only if we trade Ghost.

that's not the full equation, though.

option A:
    in: laine
    out: sanheim, konecny

option B:
    in: pietrangelo
    out: *crickets*

laine comes at a cost. pietrangelo is free.
    I dont think it would also include TK; that goes to far ... Sanheim, maybe Farabee or Frost, and a 1st ... Sanheim is a valuable, cost controlled asset.

Ideally, they would take Voracek given their cores age and need for replacement play making wing as they already have Conor and Ehlers who are scorers

Id pay Farabee, Id think long and hard about Frost ... but probably would ... remember, Frost is good but is he 44 goals as a 19/20 year old good? 5 goals in a game good?

We have an abundance of LHD in the system in Zamula, York, Ghost ... Im more concerned adding another top 4 RHD to replace Nisky who can stay with provorov for 4 years ... enough switching partners for provy ... which is why I brought up Montour

Interesting to think about for sure

man i would love to pay hoffman jvr's price for a 4 year deal....jvr is such a waste of cap space right now

Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast