Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 556 to 570 of 692

Thread: Offseason

  1. #556
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Haha, don't say that too loud. I live in NC and my buddy and I like to give each other a hard time, but I agree they have the ability to do so.
    Even with all they got rid of, they're goooood lol.

    You know where there's a surprisingly high number of Canes fans? Southwest VA. I was shocked when I was down there. And this was when they were still bad so it wasn't even bandwagoners.
    Last edited by lambofgode3x; 10-09-2020 at 05:34 PM.

  2. #557
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by lambofgode3x View Post
    Agreeing isn't bringing it up. Maybe ask the guy who wrote it where he got the time frame from? Seems simple to me...but hey.

    If they weren't going to play him next year, changes would have been made already.... There's been plenty of time to make changes. History shows that if it hasn't happened by now, the likelihood will continue to decrease with each passing day. Soooo, there's that.

    You know what team he has a lot of value to? Ours. Cuz he has a great first pass and we need a few dmen that can help us get out of the damn zone. And don't forget, it's hard to justify playing a recently recovered from injury Ghost when that lineup got you that far. You could tell that Ghost had a step and that he was ready...but the rest of the team wasn't used to him in the lineup. He was pretty good in the dzone too...but when you're not used to playing with someone, it takes time. For example, a few times on the PP when he and G tried their little pass thing they used to do but missed it by THAT much. That's what the regular season's for.

    Paying a declining asset that much money to get CLOSER is bad asset management. That's how you end up with an Abdelkader contract. You only do that if it means you become the #1 favorite for a few years. Signing him to what he's going to ACTUALLY want will mean that some of your young guys coming up will be going bye bye cuz you wanted to sign a 30 year old to just get CLOSER.
    Again, I didn't say you brought it up, I was responding to the post you agreed to. I don't need to ask where Cubs got it from because I was able to deduce that was because it was 48 hours from the free agency beginning time period (the day of the draft).

    If they weren't going to play him next year, they can only make the change if they are getting the trade they want. How do you bring up history when historically we would have a month before the draft and another week before the beginning of FA. You know that's a flawed point to bring up history during this FA period.

    I agree that Ghost could be an asset, but the points remain that the coaches don't play him and that Piets brings us to the level of cup contenders on the back end because he will play. The fact that we simply disagree on our opinions that Piets would make us contenders is okay. Since that seems to be the basis for your argument there's no point in really talking much more about it. I made what my feelings are clear. You have as well. I respect that.

    You call him a declining asset but you do know that decline generally takes place around age 32-35 right? 28-31 is considered widely to be the prime of a defensemen (definitely closer to the 28 side of things). He may start to decline soon, but is not declining. He actually just had his best season PPG wise I believe (https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...pietral01.html). I'm just saying, this could be a great move for us. Try not to label him as declining asset and look at it as a medium risk/very high reward type move.

  3. #558
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Again, I didn't say you brought it up, I was responding to the post you agreed to. I don't need to ask where Cubs got it from because I was able to deduce that was because it was 48 hours from the free agency beginning time period (the day of the draft).

    If they weren't going to play him next year, they can only make the change if they are getting the trade they want. How do you bring up history when historically we would have a month before the draft and another week before the beginning of FA. You know that's a flawed point to bring up history during this FA period.

    I agree that Ghost could be an asset, but the points remain that the coaches don't play him and that Piets brings us to the level of cup contenders on the back end because he will play. The fact that we simply disagree on our opinions that Piets would make us contenders is okay. Since that seems to be the basis for your argument there's no point in really talking much more about it. I made what my feelings are clear. You have as well. I respect that.

    You call him a declining asset but you do know that decline generally takes place around age 32-35 right? 28-31 is considered widely to be the prime of a defensemen (definitely closer to the 28 side of things). He may start to decline soon, but is not declining. He actually just had his best season PPG wise I believe (https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...pietral01.html). I'm just saying, this could be a great move for us. Try not to label him as declining asset and look at it as a medium risk/very high reward type move.
    Glad you were able to figure it out.

    He's a declining asset because by the time he's going to actually be useful in that role, he actually will be declining. We're not cup contenders with him. We're a lock for the playoffs, assuming our offense shows up. Let's not start thinking the Flyers are a better team than they actually are. The cup means going thru Boston, Tampa and/or the Caps. The Flyers are most certainly not Pietrangelo away from being cup contenders. It's flat out just not true. Maybe in 2 or 3 years a player like him would be the answer that puts us over the top on paper...but at that point, go after someone else. The reality is that we didn't lose game 7 of the Finals. We lost game 7 of an embarrassing round 2 that they didn't play well enough to deserve to even be in. I understand where you're coming from, but it's just not realistic. As you put it, you aren't entitled to your own facts.

    And this would be a very short sighted move. It would pay immediate dividends that won't culminate in a cup but will end in the loss of quality players when the team actually WOULD be a contender. That makes it a bad move. Signing an FA now means losing quality home grown talent later. It's not worth it. Everyone here seemed to agreed at the beginning of the year that we're what, 2 to 3 away from being ready to be called contenders? One decent season and a 10 game streak doesn't change that. Consider it a new coach boost, at best. We already have Hayes' contract that's going to kill us in 5 years.


    If you wanna move on tho, I'm all for it. Let's all laugh at the Caps for giving Schultz 2 years at 4mil aav.

  4. #559
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,372
    And this would be a very short sighted move. It would pay immediate dividends that won't culminate in a cup but will end in the loss of quality players when the team actually WOULD be a contender. That makes it a bad move. Signing an FA now means losing quality home grown talent later. It's not worth it. Everyone here seemed to agreed at the beginning of the year that we're what, 2 to 3 away from being ready to be called contenders? One decent season and a 10 game streak doesn't change that. Consider it a new coach boost, at best. We already have Hayes' contract that's going to kill us in 5 years.
    there are a lot of flaws here.

    firstly, you don't know the flyers couldn't win a cup with pietrangelo. STL was in a pretty comparable position to ours when they won two years ago, with pietrangelo as captain and leading STL in ice time.

    secondly, given the underwhelming development of frost, farabee, patrick, ratcliffe, rubtsov, allison, obrien and laberge, there can be no reasonable expectation that the flyers' window will be more open 2-3 years from now.

    thirdly, targeting pietrangelo is the opposite of overreacting to the results from last year. the more dangerous overreaction to last season would be to assume we have everything figured out on defense, and then ploughing every available asset we have left into a handful of aging forwards based on that assumption.

    fourthly, regarding "sustainable contention", you have be a contender before you can hope to sustain it.

    fifthly, while you're worried about losing farabee and york and zamula as free agents or whatever, you're also wasting the years where they're making pennies. we already made this mistake when provorov and konecny were on their rookie deals; don't do it again.

  5. #560
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    Pietrangelo isnít even a target, not even worth discussion. There isnít any interest on either side.

    St. Louis could score; we cannot, especially in meaningful games. Simple as that. Great regular season scoring team, zero actual flat out goal scorers besides TK, and that is asking a lot of him to carry that load.

  6. #561
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,887
    Krug to the Blues for 7 years $6.5AAV. Hmmm...

  7. #562
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Pietrangelo isnít even a target, not even worth discussion. There isnít any interest on either side.

    St. Louis could score; we cannot, especially in meaningful games. Simple as that. Great regular season scoring team, zero actual flat out goal scorers besides TK, and that is asking a lot of him to carry that load.
    We definitely can score, we just didn't in the postseason. Also, you don't know that he's not a target and even if he wasn't, that could have changed w/ the Krug, Brodie, and Shattenkirk signings.

    Also the point of a discussion, is to...ya know...discuss lol

  8. #563
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,686
    There goes 3 of the 4. Only 1 left is Barrie now that Krug, Brodie, & Shattenkirk all signed.

  9. #564
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    There goes 3 of the 4. Only 1 left is Barrie now that Krug, Brodie, & Shattenkirk all signed.
    I wouldn't mind Barrie, but he's certainly no Pietrangelo. lol

  10. #565
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,887
    News out of Winnipeg is that Little has been told by doctors not to play next season (possibly career ending). Very sad news for sure. You never want to see/hear of something like that.

    That being said, I could certainly see the Flyers being asked for TK and Ghost (plus a pick...I would guess a 1st or 2nd) for Laine now. It would be tough to say bye to TK but that is a trade I think the Flyers have to make if offered...contingent on an extension of course.

  11. #566
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    4,695
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    News out of Winnipeg is that Little has been told by doctors not to play next season (possibly career ending). Very sad news for sure. You never want to see/hear of something like that.

    That being said, I could certainly see the Flyers being asked for TK and Ghost (plus a pick...I would guess a 1st or 2nd) for Laine now. It would be tough to say bye to TK but that is a trade I think the Flyers have to make if offered...contingent on an extension of course.
    I love TK, but I'd take that deal for Laine.
    <Meaning and Content>

    ...And did you see that Giroux goal?

  12. #567
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,857
    im so glad they stood pat. So many terrible signings.

  13. #568
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,372
    im so glad they stood pat. So many terrible signings.
    and yet not a single one is more untradeable than JVR.

  14. #569
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,723
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    and yet not a single one is more untradeable than JVR.
    Bookmark this. Cuz 3 summers from now idk if that's gonna hold true

  15. #570
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,857
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    and yet not a single one is more untradeable than JVR.
    ya well i started to hate that signing very quickly like cubs. He is putting a dent in fletchers plans to do something. There are some scorers in fa to get. Hoffman would've been nice if we could've used jvr's contract...

Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •