Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast
Results 661 to 675 of 692

Thread: Offseason

  1. #661
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,257
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    What? Someone who can potentially pot 50 from shooting (not a net front guy) and is a 1st line RW (position of need)? You think JVR can hold a candle to Laine?

    If we get Laine, it will cost us a Frost or Farabee (one of them would likely be included in the deal ... maybe even Patty); so there would be room in the top 9 then; weíd still have the same JVR problem.
    He's yet to come close to hitting 50, so let's not be hyperbolic. And you missed the Point completely. Laine is a better younger version of what JVR provides. He's also every bit the liability JVR is when he's not scoring goals. Hence the hypocrisy of it all.

  2. #662
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    He's yet to come close to hitting 50, so let's not be hyperbolic. And you missed the Point completely. Laine is a better younger version of what JVR provides. He's also every bit the liability JVR is when he's not scoring goals. Hence the hypocrisy of it all.
    What? So letís close the book on JVR not being in the top 9 already and move onto Patrick Laine being a younger, better JVR?

    Laine is 22, scored 44 goals 2 years ago (36 in 73 games, 44 in 82, 30 in 82, and 28 in 68) ... so he has for sure come close to 50 ... closer than any flyer since Jeff Carter in 2008-2009

    Laineís defense wasnít a liability until this year when he openly thought he was worth more than 6.5m/year, which he is. JVR canít score from the half wall, slot, or the dot ... Laine can by blowing it past goalies ... it provides exactly what we need, a shooter. JVR is a net guy who scores in close, tips, or on the breakaway - they are very different players.

    What is the hypocrisy? I donít understand your point and what youíre saying doesnít make sense ... one is an elite 1st line RW; one is a 30 year old+ PP and specific offensive skill set specialist

  3. #663
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    And yet he is still more effective than Patty.
    It took Laughton 5.5 seasons to get to the point total Patty has in 2; and he was recovering from a botched sports hernia surgery ... I am shocked you canít see Patty as what he is, a high end 3C

  4. #664
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    It took Laughton 5.5 seasons to get to the point total Patty has in 2; and he was recovering from a botched sports hernia surgery ... I am shocked you canít see Patty as what he is, a high end 3C
    With a 1C ceiling.

  5. #665
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Iím confused by your post. Weíd need to move Jake or JVR to make room for Laine if we traded for him in order to not destroy the roster. We donít need to move them to Winnipeg, it can be through a separate deal.
    I was actually agreeing...not being sarcastic lol

  6. #666
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,857
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    It took Laughton 5.5 seasons to get to the point total Patty has in 2; and he was recovering from a botched sports hernia surgery ... I am shocked you canít see Patty as what he is, a high end 3C
    ya i don't get capsers love for laughotn lol. I like him but not that much haha. He is a 4c who can be an effective winger when needed. Key emphasis on needed because we shouldn't have him there when we have a stacked top 9 with frost still incoming and needing a spot.

    Was watching a Patrick highlight someone posted on twitter and if he can be healthy, he can really be good still. He didn't produce as much but I really thought he would've taken that step this year. It was one of the reasons I was so against the hayes deal. I thought Patrick would've taken that 2C role at the end of the year and then we would've had hayes as a 7 million 3C. If Patrick can get anywhere close to 2C, we will be insane down the middle.

  7. #667
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    I donít get it either. With Frost here next year (who Iíd play with Couts to shelter him and allow him to flourish offensively) - I would use this lineup

    Frost Couturier Voracek
    Farabee Hayes Lindblom
    G Patty TK

    Based on how AV evenly distributed playing time, this optimizes the lineup and scoring ... let that 3rd line feast on the opposition.

    Iíd still try to trade Sanheim + Voracek + 1st for Laine
    Last edited by castan_b; 10-22-2020 at 09:56 AM.

  8. #668
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,857
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I donít get it either. With Frost here next year (who Iíd play with Couts to shelter him and allow him to flourish offensively) - I would use this lineup

    Frost Couturier Voracek
    Farabee Hayes Lindblom
    G Patty TK

    Based on how AV evenly distributed playing time, this optimizes the lineup and scoring ... let that 3rd line feast on the opposition.

    Iíd still try to trade Sanheim + Voracek + 1st for Laine
    i think that lineup can get it done. Remember, we missed out on 3 potential 15+ goal scorers in frost, lindblom, patrick in the playoffs. Thats huge. Whereas if we trade sanheim our defense will be so bad:

    provorov-myers
    gus-braun
    ghost-hagg
    freidman


    thats just awful. Zamula wont be here next year and when he does play he wont have a big role, same with york. It took sanheim almost 3 years to get to play all situations and a #2/3 role on the team. Only guys like provorov come right in and play big roles.
    Last edited by 3iverson3; 10-22-2020 at 01:40 PM.

  9. #669
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,857
    patricks been scrimmaging again today, some better defensemen and players joined too. Baby steps ..but promising

    going back to castans lineup..

    Yup, no way should laughton be in the top 9 if those players are ready. Its just not a smart use of our assets. JVR should be in the top 9 over laughton as well. We didn't use jvr well toward the end of the year/in the playoffs. The guy was playing grant/pitlick/thompson a lot. In that lineup he can play with some great talent but if patrick/frost are ready then jvr can go. I like jvr and he provides a different skill set to our team but we have replacements and they are much cheaper. I liked patty as a net front guy on the pp too and lindblom can probably play that role as well.

    I just want to see raffl-laughton-nak as our 4th line for the majority of the year. JVR would better sever as a top 9 winger with a healthy roster but I wouldn't mind trading him if frost/patrick can play.
    Last edited by 3iverson3; 10-22-2020 at 01:43 PM.

  10. #670
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    i think that lineup can get it done. Remember, we missed out on 3 potential 15+ goal scorers in frost, lindblom, patrick in the playoffs. Thats huge. Whereas if we trade sanheim our defense will be so bad:

    provorov-myers
    gus-braun
    ghost-hagg
    freidman

    thats just awful. Zamula wont be here next year and when he does play he wont have a big role, same with york. It took sanheim almost 3 years to get to play all situations and a #2/3 role on the team. Only guys like provorov come right in and play big roles.
    Just a prediction; if we move one defender (Ghost), Zamula will be here this season

  11. #671
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,857
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Just a prediction; if we move one defender (Ghost), Zamula will be here this season
    would be cool. Zamula has a really calm game. I would love to trade jvr or even let seattle take him if jvr does well. I think jvr and ghost can have a bounceback year and if they can, trade ghost for pick/prospect + let seattle take jvr. That free's up around 11 million. We have around 18million after we resign myers so we would then have 29 million next year (if we don't take a contract back in the ghost trade) after clearing ghost/jvr. Trade laughton after the playoffs and let raffl walk:


    so 31 million to work with: trade sanheim, 1st, they probably want frost not voracek for laine, trade braun

    We have to resign hart+backup=roughly 8
    zamula, sandin, bunnaman, patrick: 5
    hamilton: 8
    laine: 9
    that's 30 lol

    dream team 2021:
    g-couts-laine
    lindblom-patrick-tk
    farabee-hayes-voracek
    sandin-bunnaman (or 4c)-nak

    provorov-hamilton
    zamula-myers
    hagg-freidman
    7th d
    Last edited by 3iverson3; 10-22-2020 at 02:13 PM.

  12. #672
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,257
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Just a prediction; if we move one defender (Ghost), Zamula will be here this season
    I'm not sure Zamula is physically ready for the NHL. Preferably if Ghost is moved, it's to find Provorov a permanent defense partner.

  13. #673
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,857
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    I'm not sure Zamula is physically ready for the NHL. Preferably if Ghost is moved, it's to find Provorov a permanent defense partner.
    i think we should make myers the permanent partner and find sanheim his permanent partner. Its a lot easier to find/get a 2nd pairing than a top one. I would love to sign montour next year in FA:

    provorov-myers
    sanheim-montour
    ghost/zamula-ghost/braun
    hagg

    depending on what happens to ghost^

  14. #674
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,687
    This time of year sucks for hockey. Not much going on. I could see the Flyers doing something like.

    Provy Myers
    Sanheim Hagg
    Braun Ghost

  15. #675
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,723
    Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    This time of year sucks for hockey. Not much going on. I could see the Flyers doing something like.

    Provy Myers
    Sanheim Hagg
    Braun Ghost
    Where's Gustafson

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •