Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 646 to 660 of 692

Thread: Offseason

  1. #646
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,257
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    i just don't understand some of the hate provorov gets. Yes, he isn't the best pp quarter back and I would love for ghost to get another try but crying for sanheim on it...i mean he hasn't really shown much on the pp too. Also, I don't understand how sanheims numbers being a little better than provorov makes him the future number 1 of this team. I just don't see it. If provorov and sanheims roles were switched, I think provorov would dominate and sanheim would struggle even more. Its not to say I don't like sanheim (love his game)
    People just need something to complain about. Aside from Couturier and Hart he is the most untradable asset on the Flyers roster. I love Sanheim, but if it came down to having to choose one or the other I would pick Provorov every time.

  2. #647
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    He was only on the 4th line in the hypothetical situation of Hoffman signing. Also, JVR being on the 4th line would not make us a team that is not good. That is simply a ridiculous statement. You know, a good way of keeping other teams from being in your defensive zone is to play in their side of the ice. A line of JvR, Laughton, and NAK or Raffl would be a 3rd line on most teams. It would also keep JvR in the lineup to take his place in front of the net on the 1st or 2nd PP.
    There is what works in video games (JVR on the 4th line) and what works in real life, factoring zone starts, 2nd change, and the goal of the 4th line is possession + no allowing scoring/get off the ice where any offense is a bonus ... it doesn’t make us a bad team with JVR on the 4th line, but it would be a huge risk and it is a total waste of assets / bad cap management ... good teams aren’t in this situation from an asset management perspective

  3. #648
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,257
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    There is what works in video games (JVR on the 4th line) and what works in real life, factoring zone starts, 2nd change, and the goal of the 4th line is possession + no allowing scoring/get off the ice where any offense is a bonus ... it doesn’t make us a bad team with JVR on the 4th line, but it would be a huge risk and it is a total waste of assets / bad cap management ... good teams aren’t in this situation from an asset management perspective
    There's no risk with JVR being on the 4th line. The only thing I agree with in this statement is that it's an inefficient use of assets.

  4. #649
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    There is what works in video games (JVR on the 4th line) and what works in real life, factoring zone starts, 2nd change, and the goal of the 4th line is possession + no allowing scoring/get off the ice where any offense is a bonus ... it doesn’t make us a bad team with JVR on the 4th line, but it would be a huge risk and it is a total waste of assets / bad cap management ... good teams aren’t in this situation from an asset management perspective
    I agree it is an inefficient use of assets, but it's 'okay' in our case we have 9 other forwards better than JVR because of what was created in our system...again...it was a HYPOTHETICAL situation based on Hoffman signing with us (which is he isn't). Your argument is based on a fictional situation....

  5. #650
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    I agree it is an inefficient use of assets, but it's 'okay' in our case we have 9 other forwards better than JVR because of what was created in our system...again...it was a HYPOTHETICAL situation based on Hoffman signing with us (which is he isn't). Your argument is based on a fictional situation....
    Frost Couturier TK
    Lindblom Hayes G
    Farabee Patty Voracek

    I don’t see how it is far fetched ... our top 9 already doesn’t include JVR when Frost is here full time

    So, not fictional. I’m excited for Patty back this full year. And JVR on the 4th line is a defensive liability + terrible asset management.

  6. #651
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Frost Couturier TK
    Lindblom Hayes G
    Farabee Patty Voracek

    I don’t see how it is far fetched ... our top 9 already doesn’t include JVR when Frost is here full time

    So, not fictional. I’m excited for Patty back this full year. And JVR on the 4th line is a defensive liability + terrible asset management.
    Even if JVR were to somehow be supplanted by Frost, Frost would not be on the top line. G needs the puck on his stick to make plays as does Hayes, so that line makes no sense. JvR will be on the third line or not on this team...Again, as previously stated in the above, it would be an 'okay' situation if we have 9 other forwards better than JvR. Also to have that depth for a guy to be able to step into a top 9 role if someone were to be injured, that's a good situation to be in.

  7. #652
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Even if JVR were to somehow be supplanted by Frost, Frost would not be on the top line. G needs the puck on his stick to make plays as does Hayes, so that line makes no sense. JvR will be on the third line or not on this team...Again, as previously stated in the above, it would be an 'okay' situation if we have 9 other forwards better than JvR. Also to have that depth for a guy to be able to step into a top 9 role if someone were to be injured, that's a good situation to be in.
    Frost not being on the top line isn’t the argument, move him around. JVR still isn’t a top 9 forward and won’t be used on the 4th line, which featured Thompson, Grant, etc. in a defensive matchup role ... ... because that is what the 4th line does not only in this system, but generally. For the same reason you wouldn’t put Frost on the 4th line, it isn’t good for his development ... lots of defensive zone starts, and when we are away, it is always matched against the top line of the opponent.

    Your argument has no merit that it is a “fine thing” to have JVR on the 4th line. It is a disaster on a lot of fronts.

  8. #653
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,687
    I'd start the season with Laughton as 3c and Patty as 4c until Patty proves he belongs as 3c or has a great camp.

  9. #654
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,257
    I'm baffled by anyone that is all about bringing Laine in and wanting JVR gone.

  10. #655
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    I'd start the season with Laughton as 3c and Patty as 4c until Patty proves he belongs as 3c or has a great camp.
    Oh please ... Laughton sucks and is an above average 4C ... he was destroyed as a 3C against the islanders. It is Patty’s job.

  11. #656
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    I'm baffled by anyone that is all about bringing Laine in and wanting JVR gone.
    What? Someone who can potentially pot 50 from shooting (not a net front guy) and is a 1st line RW (position of need)? You think JVR can hold a candle to Laine?

    If we get Laine, it will cost us a Frost or Farabee (one of them would likely be included in the deal ... maybe even Patty); so there would be room in the top 9 then; we’d still have the same JVR problem.

  12. #657
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Frost not being on the top line isn’t the argument, move him around. JVR still isn’t a top 9 forward and won’t be used on the 4th line, which featured Thompson, Grant, etc. in a defensive matchup role ... ... because that is what the 4th line does not only in this system, but generally. For the same reason you wouldn’t put Frost on the 4th line, it isn’t good for his development ... lots of defensive zone starts, and when we are away, it is always matched against the top line of the opponent.

    Your argument has no merit that it is a “fine thing” to have JVR on the 4th line. It is a disaster on a lot of fronts.
    Please tell me how it's a disaster. Again, it doesn't make us a team that isn't good...it makes us a team that had the cap poorly managed. It really isn't even a discussion because our team without our top scorer and a probably top 9 forward that can play both ends of the ice was still one game from the ECF.

  13. #658
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    What? Someone who can potentially pot 50 from shooting (not a net front guy) and is a 1st line RW (position of need)? You think JVR can hold a candle to Laine?

    If we get Laine, it will cost us a Frost or Farabee (one of them would likely be included in the deal ... maybe even Patty); so there would be room in the top 9 then; we’d still have the same JVR problem.
    Yeah, why would you not want Laine and you definitely don't want to keep JVR's 7M AAV on the books if you are wanting to sign Laine.

  14. #659
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,388
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Yeah, why would you not want Laine and you definitely don't want to keep JVR's 7M AAV on the books if you are wanting to sign Laine.
    I’m confused by your post. We’d need to move Jake or JVR to make room for Laine if we traded for him in order to not destroy the roster. We don’t need to move them to Winnipeg, it can be through a separate deal.

  15. #660
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,257
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Oh please ... Laughton sucks and is an above average 4C ... he was destroyed as a 3C against the islanders. It is Patty’s job.
    And yet he is still more effective than Patty.

Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •