Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason

what about getzlaf in a 1 year rental?

g-couts-voracek
    lidblom-getzlaf-tk
    farabee-hayes-frost
    raffl-laughton-nak
    depends on the cost.

i wouldn't be surprised if getzlaf has another good year or 3 left in him, but it's dangerous to keep throwing assets after these 30+ year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    i will be very concerned if fletcher continues to dump assets into 30+ year old players.

at the very least granlund is:
    a, less than 30.
    b, an unrestricted free agent.
    28-14-93
    23-13-11
    49/jvr-granlund-48/49

That's a top 9 I can get behind

depends on the cost.

i wouldn't be surprised if getzlaf has another good year or 3 left in him, but it's dangerous to keep throwing assets after these 30+ year olds.
    I think the 30+ year olds are the move to make when you're possibly one piece away. Is this team one piece away?

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    I think the 30+ year olds are the move to make when you're possibly one piece away. Is this team one piece away?
    technically its 3 peices if you add one player. Lindblom and frost are added. Hell, if ghost has a 40 pt season its 3 pieces + FA/trade

As much as everyone thinks we need a top 6 forward our strenght this year was based on our depth. We lost 2 of that in lindblom/patrick but other guys stepped up. Tk, pitlick, laughton, hayes, myers all played very well in the season. Playoffs..tk disappeared. If he scores a few goals we are in the conference final. I definitely think we are one piece away from being legit and ahving a shot. Nothing is guaranteeed but it makes us closer for sure. I definitely don't think granlund is the answer lol. I would rather roll with frost and i think getzlaf is much better than granlund for a year.

depends on the cost.

It shouldn't be a huge cost compared to signing granlund for several years. I think Granlund will really decline

im also very curious as to why everyone just dismisses frost as a viable option as a 3c and someone who can play 2c later? I thought he looked great with giroux and tk. Surround frost with some great wingers and he will do just fine.

tk-couts-voracek
    g-frost-lindblom
    jvr-hayes-farabee

mix the top 6 how you want. Not saying frost will be a 2c right off the bat but he can work his way up there

g-couts-tk
    jvr-hayes-farabee
    lindblom-frost-voracek

even this lineup the 3rd line looks better than the 2nd but the 2nd can still be a great 2nd line. I just want to keep puck hog hayes away from tk and voracek. I think hayes can be better playing with guys that dont need the puck as much like jvr, farabee, lindblom, raffl, laughton. Him and tk did not work at all in the playoffs. Hayes holds onto the puck for so long that he either turns it over, loses it, or waits so long that the play ends up dead.

There was one play where tk was waiting at the blueline for a pass that never came. Instead, hayes just skated it in on the left side (where tk already was waiting)..they both entered on the same side...and tk just froze. He had no idea where hayes wanted him to go or what hayes was ****ing doing. That play, to me, said that tk just needs to play fast. Not a knock on hayes but I think you just need to have tk on the couts line.

we really need to stop doing this man... stop giving guys spots just because of their names etc........ hold guys accountable... I dont give a **** what G or Couts did... or so and so did.... there are 3 guys that have the keys...... harts/prov/lind... yea sure lind because of feelings but because of the skill he showed but get over this **** where any person needs to be top dog etc.... couts and G ****ed us... period. I wont sit here and say Vor/Kon/Jvr did as well but they did but couts and G are our guys... franchise guys... G was suppose to be the points leaders next to ovie and crosby etc and couts is a 2 way monster which he def is but come playoff time we need more and they didn't do it. Stop with the sentimental ********.... id trade G tomorrow or 3 years ago because i understood this... G had more value then Ovie and I stated set that **** up and trade G for Ovie a few years ago and i got roasted on this board... **** feelings man... what has feelings got the flyers the last 30 plus years? improve... i dont give a **** who it costs outside of hart and prov... everyone else is expendable period.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    we really need to stop doing this man... stop giving guys spots just because of their names etc........ hold guys accountable... I dont give a **** what G or Couts did... or so and so did.... there are 3 guys that have the keys...... harts/prov/lind... yea sure lind because of feelings but because of the skill he showed but get over this **** where any person needs to be top dog etc.... couts and G ****ed us... period. I wont sit here and say Vor/Kon/Jvr did as well but they did but couts and G are our guys... franchise guys... G was suppose to be the points leaders next to ovie and crosby etc and couts is a 2 way monster which he def is but come playoff time we need more and they didn't do it. Stop with the sentimental ********.... id trade G tomorrow or 3 years ago because i understood this... G had more value then Ovie and I stated set that **** up and trade G for Ovie a few years ago and i got roasted on this board... **** feelings man... what has feelings got the flyers the last 30 plus years? improve... i dont give a **** who it costs outside of hart and prov... everyone else is expendable period.
    -One reason why you got roasted was because ovy was never available.

-G has a NMC. Good luck.

-giroux was on the elite level 5+ years ago. Then this team stayed in purgatory with zero help. Now he's 32, on the back nine and still a top 6 forward.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I thought of it differently; having 3 #2 Cís ... two of which are good defensively
    I mean, I can see that why that's appealing. But I look to teams like Nashville and the Rangers (like when Stepan was their 1C). Those teams had good centers, but without that elite 1C, do they really scare you? Think of how many trades both of those teams made to get that slot filled to mixed results.

I mean, I can see that why that's appealing. But I look to teams like Nashville and the Rangers (like when Stepan was their 1C). Those teams had good centers, but without that elite 1C, do they really scare you? Think of how many trades both of those teams made to get that slot filled to mixed results.
    agreed.
    -One reason why you got roasted was because ovy was never available.
    i don't think this is true. it would have taken a massive package, but i do think there was a window where WAS was disillusioned, ovechkin was passing 30, and they were willing to listen to offers.
    technically its 3 peices if you add one player. Lindblom and frost are added. Hell, if ghost has a 40 pt season its 3 pieces + FA/trade
    this is bad fuzzy math because it is way too optimistic.
    It shouldn't be a huge cost compared to signing granlund for several years. I think Granlund will really decline
    that wouldn't surprise me.

but granlund and getzlaf are not the only options we have.

it's hard for me to see a move that i really like right now, so i get where you're coming from, but that just makes me more open to standing pat, or even selling off some of our older pieces, rather than grasping for answers that just aren't there.

people are not going to like this, but i think it's is a good time to go after lawson crouse.

he's still only 23 years old, a solid 2 way winger on a perennial underachiever; he can add physicality, some goal scoring and a net-front PP presence and some PK ability to our middle-6. i think he could have a breakout year with hayes or couturier as he does the dirty work on the boards and soaks up offensive zone time against other teams' top lines.

there's upside there, and if we need to move laughton back to center, crouse can slot right into hayes's wing to fill in.

oh, and, as a bonus, arizona makes sense as a JVR dumping ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    Also, what would it even take to get rid of jvr. I know he can be useful but if we wanted to...hypothetically. Do we have to trade a first round with it?
    Teams are likely looking at the Marleau trade most since it happened most recently...6.25 mil for one year for a conditional 1st, pretty much. JVR, while more definitely more productive than Marleau, has 7 a year and a few years left on that contract. So you're likely trading JVR for a middle six winger and then you have to make up the difference in cost. Cap is an asset to teams, so if you're asking for a cost controlled middle six winger, a first may be in play. Maybe two 2nds. Seems to be about the going rate, and this is a seemingly declining asset we're looking to get rid of.

Or...you pay Seattle whatever they ask to take him in expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Even Makar. I was all aboard the Makar train early on so much so I would have considered taking him over Heiskanen.
    Yeah but at the time we had a productive Ghost. Hindsight is what it is, but the best player on the board was Patrick and you mean to tell me if you're a GM with a in the NHL you don't make that pick? Come on...if you don't make that pick you're instantly on the hot seat and everyone here knows it. Plus, his biggest issue going into the draft was the hernia thing...which the Flyers said they had checked out and were confident he was fine. Pretty sure he hasn't head hernia issues. IJS. You can't predict head injuries. Without the migraine issue, I'm 100% confident he'd be outplaying Hichier to this point. Last thing on the subject, it's common knowledge that the top picks in the draft aren't always the best players in the draft. How many drafts were the best players taken not even in the first round, let alone top 10. It's all a crapshoot. You're just betting that since this kid has played the best so far, he'll keep getting better and not plateau. You can't apply hindsight tho these things tho. Doesn't work that way. We don't live in the past.

No. Absolutely not! He's a huge liability out on the ice and doesn't produce nearly enough offense to justify it.
    Zero chance I entertain moving Couturier for Laine. For Eichel? I'm still not doing. If they could figure out a way to empty the farm without moving Couturier, Provorov, or Hart for Eichel then count me in. Otherwise it's a one step fwd two steps back scenario.
    Agreed 100%

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    In my defense, I just didn't think they'd want to trade Ovie for G when they had Backstrom.

Trading G would be a hard pill to swallow, but to me if you're not willing to bump him down to 2LW, imo, just trade him.

i don't think this is true. it would have taken a massive package, but i do think there was a window where WAS was disillusioned, ovechkin was passing 30, and they were willing to listen to offers..
    I remember a time when there were a TON of articles about "is Ovie done in Washington", "can the caps win with Ovi's contract", etc. I always thought they'd want some Lindros type package for him tho, like you said.

people are not going to like this, but i think it's is a good time to go after lawson crouse.

he's still only 23 years old, a solid 2 way winger on a perennial underachiever; he can add physicality, some goal scoring and a net-front PP presence and some PK ability to our middle-6. i think he could have a breakout year with hayes or couturier as he does the dirty work on the boards and soaks up offensive zone time against other teams' top lines.

there's upside there, and if we need to move laughton back to center, crouse can slot right into hayes's wing to fill in.

oh, and, as a bonus, arizona makes sense as a JVR dumping ground.
    So you're saying to trade the guy we were hoping would be Simmer's replacement for a guy we're hoping to turn into pretty much Simmer? Hell yeah why the hell not. I don't mean this sarcastically...wtf can go wrong...Worst case, we get some cap space out of it.

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast