Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    0% chance we trade jvr and ghost for gaudreau. 0% chance we trade jvr without retaining or getting a crap contract back. York and zamula need 1 year in ahl (zamula maybe earlier if injuries happen).

idk how we can trade giroux or voracek and get good value in return that will keep us in contention. Like them or not, they were the only players that scored outside of hayes.
    Ghost and JVR for Gaudreau was sarcasm. lol

I had in my post that we would retain 2M of JVR.

Disagree on the York situation. York will battle for a starting role out of training camp.

The value of trading G/Jake would come in getting cap space freed up or go after Laine using them. lol

I'd rather see Frost as a winger....unless his body matures in the next offseason he will have issues as a center...

i don't think we have enough to get laine*, but we should have enough to get ehlers or kubalik.

*provorov would open that door, but that's a big move to make.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    i don't think we have enough to get laine*, but we should have enough to get ehlers or kubalik.

*provorov would open that door, but that's a big move to make.
    Zero interest in trading Provorov. Outside of Couturier and Hart, he is the next most important player on the roster.

Also not sure how anyone can be penciling in Patrick to be on the roster next season. He hasn't played hockey in 16 months and Laughton and Frost are better 3C options than him anyway. Currently he is a bust of epic proportions. Time to face the facts there.

Braun, Grant, and Thompson? All gotta go. They add zero value to a roster that has any delusions about making a deep playoff run.

Niskanen? Have us a decent 5 months, but he's cooked. Pretty much exactly what I was afraid was gonna happen with him happened. He's been in rapid decline the past few years and he simply didn't have anything to give.

Roster as I see it with current holes going into next season:

Giroux - Couturier - TK
    Lindblom - X - Voracek
    Farabee - Hayes - Nak
    JVR - Laughton - Raffl
    Frost - X

Provorov - X
    Sanheim - Myers
    Hagg - Ghost
    Friedman

Hart
    X

Biggest issues are still finding legitimate high end 2nd line center. Pittsburgh has Malkin, Washington has Kuzy, Carolina has Trocheck...you get the picture. Hayes is fine, but not as a 2nd line center on a cup team.

We need to find a legitimate partner for Provorov. Top 4 right handed defender is definitely a priority.

And of course signing a veteran solid backup goalie is a priority.

laughton is not a better option than patrick at 3c (if healthy) lol. I think we all forget how good patrick can be. He might not play soon but he could play sometime in the end of the year.

I think frost will suprise. Our team will be deep enough so that he will be surrounded with great wingers to help him out.

Ehlers I would love but they would probably want frost.

what can frost + 1st rounder get us?

meth. mostly.

i think there's a reasonable chance that his hockey IQ will sharpen with experience, and that his body will mature to the point where he can be a top penalty killer and a borderline shutdown defenseman. the odds of that happening are less likely than my first post indicated, but i do think it's a legitimate possibility.
    it is very risky to keep adding ~30-ish year old forwards and expecting their production not to fall off a cliff.
    i would be surprised if they don't bring in a veteran backup for hart. it wouldn't surprise me if that's not elliot, but i also think elliot was good enough this year that i wouldn't look too hard to replace him.

also, fwiw, i think ustimenko may be ahead of sandstrom on our current depth chart. in addition to choosing ustimenko for the bubble roster instead of sandstrom, they shared time in the ECHL this year, and ustimenko outperformed sandstrom by a significant margin. that can always change, but right now, i think it's a 1 and 2, rather than a 1A and 1B, situation.
    i'm not confident in either of them right now. if patrick is healthy, i'd be more comfortable with him at 3C, but i'm not at all sure that he'll be able to stay healthy, even if he comes back.
    From an advanced stats perspective, Hagg is one of the worst players in the league.

He is slow, terrible first pass, drops his stick like 50 times, and is not as physical as everyone says. He is always hemmed in his own zone, he makes hits that always takes him out of the play, and is not even a great pker. We dont even need more pkers on the team. We already have 4-5 and that doesn't even include hagg.

everyone should be up for grabs except prov/couts/hart/konec/frost/farabee.... you wont get fair value for frost or farabee so we should just let them grow... our core is couts/hart/konec/prov/.

How are they going to even have another season. Will the entire season be played in a bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    Ghost + our 1st round pick get us ...

I think trading to Vancouver for Nils Hoglander would be a great fit

heartache.
    We need to find a legitimate partner for Provorov. Top 4 right handed defender is definitely a priority.
    ristolainen should be gettable.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Also not sure how anyone can be penciling in Patrick to be on the roster next season. He hasn't played hockey in 16 months and Laughton and Frost are better 3C options than him anyway. Currently he is a bust of epic proportions. Time to face the facts there.

Braun, Grant, and Thompson? All gotta go. They add zero value to a roster that has any delusions about making a deep playoff run.

Niskanen? Have us a decent 5 months, but he's cooked. Pretty much exactly what I was afraid was gonna happen with him happened. He's been in rapid decline the past few years and he simply didn't have anything to give.

Roster as I see it with current holes going into next season:

Giroux - Couturier - TK
    Lindblom - X - Voracek
    Farabee - Hayes - Nak
    JVR - Laughton - Raffl
    Frost - X

Provorov - X
    Sanheim - Myers
    Hagg - Ghost
    Friedman

Hart
    X

Biggest issues are still finding legitimate high end 2nd line center. Pittsburgh has Malkin, Washington has Kuzy, Carolina has Trocheck...you get the picture. Hayes is fine, but not as a 2nd line center on a cup team.

And of course signing a veteran solid backup goalie is a priority.
    I'm okay with you being hesitant to 'pencil Patrick in' next season due to migraines, but to call a 21 year old, center a bust because he was injured with a disease one year and produced inconsistently for his other years in the NHL due to returning from injuries and acclimating to the NHL. When coming back from core muscle surgery, pulls and strains are common in the first 12-18 months because of the obvious (source: my wife is a DPT and said it should be almost expected especially when playing a sport, such as hockey, at a high level multiple days a week). The migraines are an issue that other players have had to sit out long periods of time to learn to cope with and help take care of.

A bust of epic proportions is ridiculously overblown and a total fan-reaction with no basis (I don't care if you said "currently"). First of all, Patrick only missed a total of 19 regular season games prior to this disease based hiatus. He averaged around a point every two games (0.42) over the first two seasons, had a 51% face off percentage, averaged over 1.5 shots per game, and had around a 2:3 Takeaway to giveaway ratio. The interesting thing here is he was only averaging around 14:30 TOI and was playing under Hak's horrible system and management. I'm not saying he's been great, but I am saying he's been good enough to not call a bust and give a chance. Also for comparison, in Hischier's first two seasons, he only had a total of 99 points while playing on the first line and first PP the whole time. He was averaging 3 minutes of TOI per game and had some pretty nice linemates in Taylor Hall and Kyle Palmeri. So, yes the number 1 pick had 38 more points but had a guy that had around 100 points in one of those years on his line...

I agree that Grant, Braun, and Thompson need to go. Grant is okay, but was bad on the restart.

Niskanen was worth the deal because the restart was the outlier (as it was for everyone) and he was great during the season. He is only on the books for one more season so people need to stop trying to label that trade as bad, because it actually turned out great so far. If he sucks next year, it still turns out as an 'okay' trade because he played so much better than Gudas this year.

If JVR is going to be on your 4th line going into the season you have to figure out a trade. I think a trade or 2 is inevitable at this point to make room for young guys and a possible FA signing for a top forward. JVR really needs to go, but finding a trade partner could be tricky because we didn't do ourselves favors by trying to add value. I think it's more likely we trade one of G or Jake.

Hayes is a legitimate 2C right now. Patrick should be the 2C to take pressure off Hayes or vice versa. Patrick has 1C potential still as well. You pencil players in because...ya know...pencils have erasers so you can make adjustments. Frost should be playing full time next season or packaged in a trade for a top 6 forward. By that, I am talking of someone good...a top tier guy.

Niskanen stays with Provorov. Not sure why he's not in your lineup, but again, hockey in August is an outlier. We always talk about how hockey players are creatures of habit and that needs to be taken into account. I doubt Ghost is in the lineup unless we can't find a trade partner...but I think we do and I think York makes the team. Elliot will likely stay with us in my opinion. I think he has been my favorite back up in a while because he's so reliable and seems like a nice guy.

heartache.
    ristolainen should be gettable.
    That would be cool...how?

I would not trade Farabee, Frost, Hart, York, or any guy on our current roster that is signed other than JVR, G, or Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Ghost + our 1st round pick get us ...

I think trading to Vancouver for Nils Hoglander would be a great fit
    i aint giving ghost and a 1st for nils...

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast