Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

WWE bans employees from using Twitch, Cameo, other 3rd party platforms

WWE made an official statement but i am on my phone. The story is making rounds though. WWE is claiming they own the intellectual rights to the real names of superstars (which is ********) even though these guys are independent contractors and I doubt that's part of any of their deals.

Paige already said she's not giving up her Twitch channel but apparently they have 30 days to comply otherwise they could be punished up to being terminated.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    WWE made an official statement but i am on my phone. The story is making rounds though. WWE is claiming they own the intellectual rights to the real names of superstars (which is ********) even though these guys are independent contractors and I doubt that's part of any of their deals.

Paige already said she's not giving up her Twitch channel but apparently they have 30 days to comply otherwise they could be punished up to being terminated.
    I saw something about this. It makes me wonder about Austin Creed's upupdowndown and such. I heard him say something in the past that he had the ok from the higher ups. The rumor has it, its because Lana did some kind of commercial and posted it on her instagram I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I saw something about this. It makes me wonder about Austin Creed's upupdowndown and such. I heard him say something in the past that he had the ok from the higher ups. The rumor has it, its because Lana did some kind of commercial and posted it on her instagram I believe.
    I wonder if WWE has creative input in his channel. I feel like they would. I also think the WWE gets a cut of whatever he makes from said channel. That's probably the reason why they've allowed it to continue for so long.

While these other channels are just WWE superstars doing them of their own volition but using their own names. I don't see how WWE thinks they have control over that. I am sure they will try to push their weight around but this might be a tipping point for this company. Take away these wrestlers opportunities to make money elsewhere when they are independent contractors and wrestlers may sue and even attempt to unionize. It might put their independent contractor baloney in jeopardy too. Vince should let this one go ASAP.

I wonder if WWE has creative input in his channel. I feel like they would. I also think the WWE gets a cut of whatever he makes from said channel. That's probably the reason why they've allowed it to continue for so long.

While these other channels are just WWE superstars doing them of their own volition but using their own names. I don't see how WWE thinks they have control over that. I am sure they will try to push their weight around but this might be a tipping point for this company. Take away these wrestlers opportunities to make money elsewhere when they are independent contractors and wrestlers may sue and even attempt to unionize. It might put their independent contractor baloney in jeopardy too. Vince should let this one go ASAP.
    in upupdowndown there are a few of them that use their real name. I mean Xavier Woods goes by Austin Creed, Cesaero goes by Claudio etc. Its going to be interesting to see what happens over the next 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    in upupdowndown there are a few of them that use their real name. I mean Xavier Woods goes by Austin Creed, Cesaero goes by Claudio etc. Its going to be interesting to see what happens over the next 30 days.
    And there is no way WWE can claim these guys real names as intellectual property. I wonder if anyone has the balls to sue the WWE while under contract. That would be very interesting. Usually the law protects people from getting fired while suing their current employer but I am sure those protections are not universal in every state or situation. Whoever does it is going to need an expensive legal team but I hope they do.

It's disgusting that Vince is trying to do this.

Every performer that is affecting by this level of idiocy by WWE should call their bluff. WWE is not going to fire these guys, mainly because alot of these performers would get picked up quickly by IMPACT, ROH, AEW, etc very quickly. If there is one thing the WWE does not want to see happen is talented performers going to other promotions.

Call their bluff, WWE superstars.
    Screw sabermetics.

And there is no way WWE can claim these guys real names as intellectual property. I wonder if anyone has the balls to sue the WWE while under contract. That would be very interesting. Usually the law protects people from getting fired while suing their current employer but I am sure those protections are not universal in every state or situation. Whoever does it is going to need an expensive legal team but I hope they do.

It's disgusting that Vince is trying to do this.
    they can and have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmDKK8taUlo

John cena said he owes vince everything so had 0 issue with it years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RmHpbLwOFQ

here is the rock who actually owns his name now and said all he had to do was ask vince and vince gave it to him.... Vince has basically made bank off of cena considering he gets a cut of all of his movies because of the name.

i am with vince on this one... nobody is forcing anyone to work in wwe. Vince probably seen the likes of Andre and Hogan go jump into movies etc and he made sure as any smart business dude would to make as much money off of them as possible which meant owning their names.... its smart business and a smart decision.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    they can and have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmDKK8taUlo

John cena said he owes vince everything so had 0 issue with it years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RmHpbLwOFQ

here is the rock who actually owns his name now and said all he had to do was ask vince and vince gave it to him.... Vince has basically made bank off of cena considering he gets a cut of all of his movies because of the name.
    Yeah I understand the WWE owning stage names. I don't see how they can claim intellectual property on these people's real names. Not unless its specifically stated in their contracts and almost no performer is going to give that up.

These wrestlers have a legit case in civil court. The question is do they ruffle feathers and sue? I don't know. I would.

I understand Vince wants to protect his brand but these guys should be able to make income outside of WWE. They aren't even full time employees. They are independent contractors.

Yeah I understand the WWE owning stage names. I don't see how they can claim intellectual property on these people's real names. Not unless its specifically stated in their contracts and almost no performer is going to give that up.

These wrestlers have a legit case in civil court. The question is do they ruffle feathers and sue? I don't know. I would.

I understand Vince wants to protect his brand but these guys should be able to make income outside of WWE. They aren't even full time employees. They are independent contractors.
    all performer will give that up because the guys wwe bring in want/need a job because its wwe... period. They shouldnt but its not so easy when you have families/lack of funds etc and no real options when you havent done much except go over seas which is scary for a ton of guys... if vince comes knocking and says we will give you a shot but i own your name and intellectual property 99.9999999 percent of this young guys will not only do it they will thank him for it. It sucks but its business and when you are the top wrestling and only real wrestlng company in the states then thems the breaks.

If UpUpDownDown ends up not being allowed, what about Something to Wrestle? Would be pretty hypocritical to let Bruce, someone in upper management, be allowed to do that show while others can't use their stage or real names to do their own appearances.

These guys are either independent contractors or they aren't. Vince needs to take a dump or get off the pot.

i am with vince on this one... nobody is forcing anyone to work in wwe. Vince probably seen the likes of Andre and Hogan go jump into movies etc and he made sure as any smart business dude would to make as much money off of them as possible which meant owning their names.... its smart business and a smart decision.
    Vince is wrong. These independent contractors should have ownership of the OWN EFFIN' NAME. What would happen if AEW decides to trademarked "Vincent Kennedy McMahon?"

If Vince's goal is to piss off talents, then he is doing a hell of a job.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Vince is wrong. These independent contractors should have ownership of the OWN EFFIN' NAME. What would happen if AEW decides to trademarked "Vincent Kennedy McMahon?"

If Vince's goal is to piss off talents, then he is doing a hell of a job.
    why does pissing off talents or employees matter to a billionaire owner? you think the dude from amazon gives a **** that his 12 dollar an hour employees are happy? Vince is not wrong. Vince is a business man and the dudes selling away the rights to their names to make it through the front door are wrong period... nobody is telling them sell your name with a gun to their head... if they want a contract to work in wwe then thems the rules and if not they are free to go overseas or go elsewhere like the backyard wrestling **** and so on.... blame the dudes willing to give their rights over and not the dude that has worked his *** off for 40 years making wwe into an amazing product etc. Vince is a dick but he is smart here period

Austin Creed and Paige have kind of both came out and said what they are going to do.

this is what Creed said

"I don't have any answers," he said. "I have no answers, I have no idea what is going on. I think I'm fine, I think most people are fine, but we'll find out. I don't know, I'm not the person to ask. I wish I knew more, but I don't, unfortunately. We're gonna stream as much as we can, for as long as we can. I'm just trying to build an audience so that when I get my G4 gig, we have a built-in crew. Keep my game name alive."
    and this is Paige's quote

Just so you guys know, this is all going to be changed. Its gonna be changed to Saraya my real name. We are not going to get rid of our Twitch, we are here to stay. We are not going anywhere. Twitch is our house. Im the queen of Twitch, so there is no chance in hell we are getting rid of my stream. Were here. Were here to stay. No, guys, I can keep it. Its just Saraya, just have to change it all over to Saraya. Thank you guys for understanding. I know its going to be a little bit weird to get used to Saraya, but it is what it is.

why does pissing off talents or employees matter to a billionaire owner? you think the dude from amazon gives a **** that his 12 dollar an hour employees are happy? Vince is not wrong. Vince is a business man and the dudes selling away the rights to their names to make it through the front door are wrong period... nobody is telling them sell your name with a gun to their head... if they want a contract to work in wwe then thems the rules and if not they are free to go overseas or go elsewhere like the backyard wrestling **** and so on.... blame the dudes willing to give their rights over and not the dude that has worked his *** off for 40 years making wwe into an amazing product etc. Vince is a dick but he is smart here period
    Vince is wrong because he is trying to control EVERYTHING about EVERYONE. These people have lives outside of wrestling that does not belong to Vince McMahon. What these people do on their own time, is their own damn business. He is basically saying that only HE, VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON, can create a star out of the individual. What pisses him off is performers are creating their own brand, their own audiences. Vince needs to wake the fvck up and realize this isn't the 70s/80s or even 90s, he can't control everything about every employee.

He is wrong. my .02cents and my last take on the situation.
    Screw sabermetics.