Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,889

    Will the League MVP Award mean Little to Nothing after this season?

    We have to look objectively into the league MVP. With Giannis on the verge of winning his 2nd consecutive league MVP award (he also won his first DPOY this season), and for him last year to lose a 2-0 series lead to the Raptors in the ECF, and now down 0-3 this year in the East Semis to the HEAT, all the hype that goes into the award during the season, should the criteria and perspectives be changed ?

    When they say most valuable ... what does that actually mean? The guy who does the most with the least ? The guy who makes everyone else around him better? What if we took player X off this team as opposed to player Y off this other team, which team would do better? Or best player on best regular season record team ? Or best individual stats? Best PER?



    Or should it be the superstar who performs the best in the biggest marquee games during the season and gives you the best chance at potentially a championship ? Because if thatís the case, the top two guys that would be considered for that would be LeBron James & Kawhi Leonard.


    Is it time to shake up this whole MVP talk?


    Here is a list of the league MVPs from 2000-2020 and how their seasons ended:

    2000: Shaq - championship
    2001: AI - lost in NBA finals 5 games
    2002: Duncan - lost in West Semis 5 games
    2003: Duncan - championship
    2004: KG - lost in West Finals 6 games
    2005: Nash - lost in West Finals 5 games
    2006: Nash - lost in West Finals 6 games
    2007: Dirk - lost in West first round 6 games
    2008: Kobe - lost in NBA Finals 6 games
    2009: LBJ - lost in East Finals 6 games
    2010: LBJ - lost in East Semis 6 games

    2011: DRose - lost in East Finals 5 games
    2012: LBJ - championship
    2013: LBJ - championship
    2014: KD - lost in West Finals 6 games
    2015: Steph - championship
    2016: Steph - lost in NBA Finals 7 games
    2017: Westbrook - lost in West first round 6 games
    2018: Harden - lost in West Finals 7 games
    2019: Giannis - lost in East Finals 6 games
    2020: Giannis - lost in East Semis 5 games
    Last edited by LaVar Ball; 09-13-2020 at 10:11 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    49,715
    Itís trending in that direction. The regular season and playoff seasons have always been a different beast but with volume of tanker and top level teams that coast its becoming more a preseason then anything


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    4,885
    Itís always been on regular season and he was by far the best regular season player. Idk why they donít include the most important part of the year in the equation but Iíve always thought they should. Then give them the award on opening night of the next regular season or an event over the summer.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

    8/24/2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Itís always been on regular season and he was by far the best regular season player. Idk why they donít include the most important part of the year in the equation but Iíve always thought they should. Then give them the award on opening night of the next regular season or an event over the summer.
    No he wasnít

    He was the best player on the team with the best record. He fit the 2007 Dirk criteria, and that team lost in 6 in the first round to the 8th seed Warriors.

    LeBron was and should be the league MVP but he wonít get it. Lakers got no respect in any individual awards this season. Maybe AD on defensive first team and Iím surprised he didnít get defensive second team the way the media is voting for them.

    Itís okay, the Lakers need to control the finals MVP award. Because LeBron is coming for that one and will get it.
    Last edited by LaVar Ball; 09-13-2020 at 10:10 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    47,592
    Bill Simmons (gonna mention him twice here) had an idea of handing out weighted mvps. Big golden statue vs tiny bronze award

    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Itís always been on regular season and he was by far the best regular season player. Idk why they donít include the most important part of the year in the equation but Iíve always thought they should. Then give them the award on opening night of the next regular season or an event over the summer.
    We should have a playoffs mvp, but it is decided before the finals, so we can have more meaningless awards. Recently heard Bill Simmons (who's been clamoring for a playoffs mvp for years now) mention that bron leading the Cavs to the finals without Kyrie would've been his playoff mvp choice. Letting kd have his tiny mvp

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by LaVar Ball View Post
    No he wasnít

    He was the best player on the team with the best record. He fit the 2007 Dirk criteria, and that team lost in 6 in the first round to the 8th seed Warriors.

    LeBron was and should be the league MVP but he wonít get it. Lakers got no respect in any individual awards this season. Maybe AD on defensive first team and Iím surprised he didnít get defensive second team the way the media is voting for them.

    Itís okay, the Lakers need to control the finals MVP award. Because LeBron is coming for that one and will get it.
    Yes he was, easily. Compare his numbers and impact to LeBron and he ***** on him in the regular season. Itís a regular season award and he easily won it.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

    8/24/2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,581
    Just name it Regular Season Player of the Year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers + Giants View Post
    Just name it Regular Season Player of the Year.
    Or just leave it as MVP because anyone with a brain or reading comprehension skills knows thats what the MVP signifies. We don't need to add a million new awards. The regular season awards are for the regular season. In the playoffs, you play for a trophy and to a lesser extent finals mvp.

    Even doing a playoffs mvp and finals mvp as different trophies is dumb. It's going to go to the same guy 90% of the time. Outside the year that lebron carries an injured cavs team to the finals, it's going to be the same guy. So what's the point of creating a seperate trophy for a once and awhile situation.

    It would be no different from doing the bubble awards they did this year. Sure, it's fun. But if you did first team all playoffs, I guarantee at least 3, if not 4 or all 5 guys would be on the two finals teams.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    60,431
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Or just leave it as MVP because anyone with a brain or reading comprehension skills knows thats what the MVP signifies. We don't need to add a million new awards. The regular season awards are for the regular season. In the playoffs, you play for a trophy and to a lesser extent finals mvp.

    Even doing a playoffs mvp and finals mvp as different trophies is dumb. It's going to go to the same guy 90% of the time. Outside the year that lebron carries an injured cavs team to the finals, it's going to be the same guy. So what's the point of creating a seperate trophy for a once and awhile situation.

    It would be no different from doing the bubble awards they did this year. Sure, it's fun. But if you did first team all playoffs, I guarantee at least 3, if not 4 or all 5 guys would be on the two finals teams.
    Agreed on all of this: but I will say that I love how the NHL does the Conn Smythe Trophy for performance through the entire playoffs. Usually it goes to a top player on the Stanley Cup team, but it accounts for the entire playoffs. With that we wouldn't have an Andre Igoudala Finals MVP, instead we would have likely had a Steph Curry or Draymond Green Playoffs MVP.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    7,525
    I would not base any conclusions on this particular irregular season. Home dominant teams like the Clips and Bucks would have absolutely murdered Denver/Miami in a normal playoff format.


    PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

    a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Oefarmy2005 View Post
    I would not base any conclusions on this particular irregular season. Home dominant teams like the Clips and Bucks would have absolutely murdered Denver/Miami in a normal playoff format.
    Well thatís ******** considering Miami was like 7-2 this season against the Bucks with one of their losses coming without Jimmy and Dragic. Terrible take.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

    8/24/2

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Oefarmy2005 View Post
    I would not base any conclusions on this particular irregular season. Home dominant teams like the Clips and Bucks would have absolutely murdered Denver/Miami in a normal playoff format.
    Interesting point. The bubble took away home court advantage. I haven't even given that any thought.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Interesting point. The bubble took away home court advantage. I haven't even given that any thought.
    If you need homecourt as a crutch to not lose in 5 or give up a 3-1 lead youíre not that good to begin with.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

    8/24/2

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    If you need homecourt as a crutch to not lose in 5 or give up a 3-1 lead youíre not that good to begin with.
    Why do you think the Miami Heat were 29-7 at home and 15-22 this year?


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Why do you think the Miami Heat were 29-7 at home and 15-22 this year?
    Because they didnít play hard against bad teams.

    9-1 on the road in the playoffs though, Iíll take it.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

    8/24/2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •