Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cubs mid season report card, what are your grades?

OK , just a quick 5 part question using our Standard A-F grading system. What are your grades for:

1. Starting pitching
    2. Bull pen
    3. Offense & hitting, base running
    4. Defense & fielding
    5. Managing

You can put a couple of lines to justify the grade. My comments later today.

If you want to average the 5 grades to give an overall that is ok too.

Enviado desde mi SM-A520F mediante Tapatalk

1. Starting pitching C-
    Strong first couple weeks, other then Darvish not so good afterwards

2. Bull pen D+
    Started out terrible, got better, now so so

3. Offense & hitting, base running C-
    They have some really good games and some really bad games, still very inconsistent with key players struggling

4. Defense & fielding B+
    A few bonehead plays here and there but overall pretty solid.

5. Managing C
    Tough way to break in as a new Manager..
    He has done solid with the pandemic situation and keeping his players intact and following the rules.
    He has them in first for the time being and probably in the playoffs.
    He has made some questionable in game decisions with the bullpen and such.

If anything these 60 games and some playoff experience will be a good learning curve for him and hopefully will make him that much better for hopefully a normal full baseball season next year

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    1. Starting pitching C-
    Strong first couple weeks, other then Darvish not so good afterwards

2. Bull pen D+
    Started out terrible, got better, now so so

3. Offense & hitting, base running C-
    They have some really good games and some really bad games, still very inconsistent with key players struggling

4. Defense & fielding B+
    A few bonehead plays here and there but overall pretty solid.

5. Managing C
    Tough way to break in as a new Manager..
    He has done solid with the pandemic situation and keeping his players intact and following the rules.
    He has them in first for the time being and probably in the playoffs.
    He has made some questionable in game decisions with the bullpen and such.

If anything these 60 games and some playoff experience will be a good learning curve for him and hopefully will make him that much better for hopefully a normal full baseball season next year
    Hard to imagine they are 18-12.

Starting pitching - Cubs starting pitchers are 5th in the NL in Era, 2nd in fIP, 2nd in IP, 2nd in fWAR. C-??? Cmon.

Bullpen sucks

Offense - 2nd in the NL in fWAR, but mediocre in wRC+(tied for 8th in the NL). Strong obp, but weak in contact and power. Still better than a C-.

Defense - 3rd in the NL in DRS, 4th in UZR/150. Defense has been very good.

Manager - I have no idea how to grade him. From the most basic perspective everyone expected this team to be roughly .500 and they have won 60% of their games. Not sure what else we’d want from him.
    Last edited by CP_414; 08-27-2020 at 02:33 PM.

The Ricketts were determined to spend no money and put out a very flawed team. This team looked basically .500 on paper and all the projections agreed. Instead they've been a .600 team. They've overachieved in every way.

Starting pitching A-. It's been phenomenal to this point and it really shouldn't have been. Quintana is back soon but it probably still gets worse from here. Atleast we do have one of the best co aces in baseball.

Bullpen: D+ They've probably actually been better then they should be. It's a **** show and they seem to have no plans to fix it. Likely the downfall of the 2020 Cubs

Offense C+ In a bit of a funk lately but still better then expected. Need to get Bryant back and the top guys going.

Defense. Huge A

Manager: Not really sure. I don't think the manager matters much. I don't really think he's done anything better or worse then Maddon. Maybe the team was having more fun then usual to start the year? Hard to tell. I'll give him a B. His team in line for the 2 seed.
    Last edited by Sofnr; 08-27-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Offense - 2nd in the NL in fWAR, but mediocre in wRC+(tied for 8th in the NL). Strong obp, but weak in contact and power. Still better than a C-.
    I wouldn't even give this offense a passing grade.

The Cubs have an offense that for better or worse has been labeled untouchable by this FO. They say that they aren't untouchable but they apparently have a price on all of them that leads to talks going nowhere fast.

There's a former MVP standing at 3rd. A runner up MVP standing at SS. A top 3 or 4 player at his position standing a 1st. A $180M player standing in RF. One of the best, if not the best, players at his position standing behind home plate. A guy out in LF that is good for 30+ HRs a year.

And all of that gets you a -0.46 WPA?

That's pathetic. The teams offensive grade is 0.1 higher than the Cardinals who have played 10 less games. They are average - below average in pretty much every single category.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    I wouldn't even give this offense a passing grade.

The Cubs have an offense that for better or worse has been labeled untouchable by this FO. They say that they aren't untouchable but they apparently have a price on all of them that leads to talks going nowhere fast.

There's a former MVP standing at 3rd. A runner up MVP standing at SS. A top 3 or 4 player at his position standing a 1st. A $180M player standing in RF. One of the best, if not the best, players at his position standing behind home plate. A guy out in LF that is good for 30+ HRs a year.

And all of that gets you a -0.46 WPA?

That's pathetic. The teams offensive grade is 0.1 higher than the Cardinals who have played 10 less games. They are average - below average in pretty much every single category.
    I wouldn’t give a **** about salary and what the players did years ago. The conversation is about 2020 performance.

They are 8th in the NL in runs/game. 4th in OBP, 3rd in fWAR, 8th in wRC+, 12th in contact. The offense has been mostly mediocre. If one of the smartest kids in class does “C quality” work she doesn’t get an F because you expected more out of her. Mediocre is mediocre no matter who does it.

It’s far from a bottom offense in 2020 and it’s far from a top one. It’s the definition of a C.
    Last edited by CP_414; 08-27-2020 at 03:42 PM.

I'd put the grades as

SP - B+
    BP - D
    O - C-
    D - A
    M - C-

Hard to imagine they are 18-12.

Starting pitching - Cubs starting pitchers are 5th in the NL in Era, 2nd in fIP, 2nd in IP, 2nd in fWAR. C-??? Cmon.

Bullpen sucks

Defense - 3rd in the NL in DRS, 4th in UZR/150. Defense has been very good.

Manager - I have no idea how to grade him. From the most basic perspective everyone expected this team to be roughly .500 and they have won 60% of their games. Not sure what else we’d want from him.
    Overall numbers are good for SP because of that stretch they want on for what 10 games when they were giving up nothing ..
    Outside of Darvish they haven't been that good the last couple times through the rotation
    Why I gave them a C, first half very good good second half not so good

So you feel part of offense is good and part is bad.

So average C
    Last edited by chibears55; 08-27-2020 at 05:09 PM.

Overall numbers are good for SP because of that stretch they want on for what 10 games when they were giving up nothing ..
    Outside of Darvish they haven't been that good the last couple times through the rotation
    Why I gave them a C, first half very good good second half not so good

So you feel part of offense is good and part is bad.

So average C
    If a C is average (and I agree it is and the offense has been average), explain how the starting pitchers are are the low side of average.

Which teams have had better starting pitching than the Cubs and which have been worse. If the Cubs are a C- I’m expecting to see more teams on the better than the Cubs than the worse list.

The starting pitching has been fantastic. If that is a C- then 75% of the league is failing.

If a C is average (and I agree it is and the offense has been average), explain how the starting pitchers are are the low side of average.

Which teams have had better starting pitching than the Cubs and which have been worse. If the Cubs are a C- I’m expecting to see more teams on the better than the Cubs than the worse list.

The starting pitching has been fantastic. If that is a C- then 75% of the league is failing.
    The SP the first 3 times through the rotation was fantastic
    The SP the last 3 times through hasnt been

We all know how crazy their first couple times through the rotation was with the low hits and shutouts they pitched.Solid A+

But since in their last 3 times through

Lester
    Mills
    Chatwood
    8 starts 34.2 IP 59 Hits 37 ER

Darvish has been good and Hendricks been good

I'll admit I thought Hendricks was worse then I thought til I looked
    So I'll improve the Grade to a C+, no better then B- but that only because of Darvish and Hendricks staying study

Unless I missed it , what grade did you give them

The SP the first 3 times through the rotation was fantastic
    The SP the last 3 times through hasnt been

We all know how crazy their first couple times through the rotation was with the low hits and shutouts they pitched.Solid A+

Lester
    Mills
    Chatwood

Darvish has been good and Hendricks been good

I'll admit I thought Hendricks was worse then I thought til I looked
    So I'll improve the Grade to a C+, no better then B- but that only because of Darvish and Hendricks staying study

Unless I missed it , what grade did you give them
    The question was the rotation in the first half of the season. Not the rotation if we arbitrarily split up the first half and take out the best pitchers.

In the first half the Cubs had one of the best rotations in baseball. Period.
    Last edited by CP_414; 08-27-2020 at 08:10 PM.

The question was the rotation in the first half of the season. Not the rotation if we arbitrarily split up the first half and take out the best pitchers.

In the first half the Cubs had one of the best rotations in baseball. Period.
    Ok
    What pitchers are being taken out?
    Who split it up? They had a great 15 games overall to start and a not so great 15 games to end, so combined it so so..

In my evaluation, I said all 5 SP had some exceptional starts the first 3 times through the rotation..
    Outside of Darvish and Hendricks that I included after looking at what he done ( I thought it was worse), the other 3 starters haven't done all that well in their combined 8 starts the second 3rd time through the rotation.
    The combination of all 5 in the last 3 times through the order has been bumpy overall.

So if you had a scale of the 30 starts
    0 5 10, you could probably circle 4 5 or 6 and be right.
    theyve had 16 QS out of 30

I gave it a C- to start but that because I thought Hendricks had struggled in my mind, but after looking at it, he hasn't
    So
    I changed it to a C+ to B- overall

You still haven't given your grade
    Last edited by chibears55; 08-27-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Ok
    What pitchers are being taken out?
    Who split it up? They had a great 15 games overall to start and a not so great 15 games to end, so combined it so so..

In my evaluation, I said all 5 SP had some exceptional starts the first 3 times through the rotation..
    Outside of Darvish and Hendricks that I included after looking at what he done ( I thought it was worse), the other 3 starters haven't done all that well in their combined 8 starts the second 3rd time through the rotation.
    The combination of all 5 in the last 3 times through the order has been bumpy overall.

So if you had a scale of the 30 starts
    0 5 10, you could probably circle 4 5 or 6 and be right.
    theyve had 16 QS out of 30

I gave it a C- to start but that because I thought Hendricks had struggled in my mind, but after looking at it, he hasn't
    So
    I changed it to a C+ to B- overall

You still haven't given your grade
    Which ones did you take out?

Lester
    Mills
    Chatwood
    Hmm.

You’d be a ****** teacher man.

Yeah you got 100% on the first half of your assignments but if you take out your best assignments in the 2nd half then the remaining ones aren’t that good so you get a C-. No a C+. Wait a B-.

What grade would I give? B+ or any A is acceptable answer. Game 1 through 30 the rotation has been excellent. Few more minutes and you’ll probably make your way up to a B+ anyway.
    Last edited by CP_414; 08-27-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Which ones did you take out?

Hmm.

You’d be a ****** teacher man.

Yeah you got 100% on the first half of your assignments but if you take out your best assignments in the 2nd half then the remaining ones aren’t that good so you get a C-. No a C+. Wait a B-.

What grade would I give? B+ or any A is acceptable answer. Game 1 through 30 the rotation has been excellent. Few more minutes and you’ll probably make your way up to a B+ anyway.
    Again, you keep saying I took out their best 2 starters in the last 15 games
    I said Darvish and Hendricks had been good, the other 3 not so good, so overall bumpy

I changed my grade because of Hendricks, to a B- C+, you give them a B+
    So we're not that far off in opinions to be going round and round over this

[QUOTE=chicagofan08;33570423]
    1. Starting pitching: C+
    2. Bullpen: D+
    3. Offense & hitting: C- (very disappointing)
    4. Base-running: F (embarrassing garbage)
    5. Defense & fielding: C+ (average defense, crappy turning double-plays on the shift)
    6. Managing: C+ (decent lineup cards, decent bullpen decisions, a bunch of bad in-game strategy in terms of the running game)

Overall: C

Playing like a .500 team, somehow in 1st place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast