Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    I can’t blame Guenther for the Raiders abysmal defense but I can’t remember the last time we have had a good defensive coordinator. Willie Shaw?

I’ll reserve judgement on Guenther until he gets some talent to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That will never happen with Jon Gruden in charge. He'd break the bank without hesitation for a player on his offense, but you won't soon see him go after a big ticket defensive player. Never.

So what we're really hoping for with our defense is lightning in a bottle or a similar miracle. Draft picks have to make an impact. Second and third tier FA acquisitions have to stick and make an impact. The system has to be sound and cohesive in order to get better results as a unit then we'd otherwise get from the individual talent on the roster. And the coaches have to make the right calls and put the right men in the right position to make plays.

Seems like a lot because it is. But who knows, maybe we get lucky this year and have a top 5 defense?

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    Willie Shaw was the best we've had in the last 25 years. He knew what he was doing. Then he was replaced with a Jon Gruden lookalike in Chuck Bresnahan.
    What happened with Shaw? It wasn’t really brought to light other than he and Gruden clashed.

Kind of like John Fox walking off the job.

Will Guenther Be a Goner?

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    That will never happen with Jon Gruden in charge. He'd break the bank without hesitation for a player on his offense, but you won't soon see him go after a big ticket defensive player. Never.

So what we're really hoping for with our defense is lightning in a bottle or a similar miracle. Draft picks have to make an impact. Second and third tier FA acquisitions have to stick and make an impact. The system has to be sound and cohesive in order to get better results as a unit then we'd otherwise get from the individual talent on the roster. And the coaches have to make the right calls and put the right men in the right position to make plays.

Seems like a lot because it is. But who knows, maybe we get lucky this year and have a top 5 defense?
    I agree but I also find it incredibly ironic considering that Gruden’s one and only Super Bowl ring came courtesy of an elite defense.

Last edited by Proximo; 09-08-2020 at 11:58 AM.

I agree but I also find it incredibly ironic considering that Gruden’s one and only Super Bowl ring came courtesy of an elite defense.

Yeah, you'd think Gruden would have seen the light. Not only did the Bucs win it for him, but he also got to see what another great defense -- the Ravens -- did to him up close and personal during their Super Bowl run.

But I won't spend any more time hoping someone who gets paid a hundred million for the way he thinks to change. Best I can hope for is that our defense comes together as a unit and keeps us in games, if not shock the world.

Doesn’t look like much has changed.

Guenther should count his blessings. If it weren't for that heroic 4th and inches defensive stand this game would've been lost. Allowing 388 yards offense to the other team isn't gonna get it done.

The Guenther termination needs to happen sooner than later.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

IN CHUCKY WE TRUST

Yeah, the Raiders aren't built to just out score teams like they did today.

I just read that Guenther is still using Ferrell on the inside. It didn't work last year so why should anyone expect it to work now? Nassib should be used as the inside pass rusher at the Jack linebacker position. Guenther's stubborness is really starting to annoy me. He refuses to admit that Joyner is really a safety and it's hurting this defense.
    Last edited by erickench; 09-13-2020 at 06:51 PM.

What happened with Shaw? It wasn’t really brought to light other than he and Gruden clashed.

Kind of like John Fox walking off the job.

If I remember correctly, Shaw’s contract expired and they rather unceremoniously brought on Breshnihan.

Maybe someone else is a little more sure...
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

Let us not forget intimate knowledge of the opposing offense making it like shooting fish in a barrel for that talented defense...
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    If I remember correctly, Shaw’s contract expired and they rather unceremoniously brought on Breshnihan.

Maybe someone else is a little more sure...
    IIRC, Shaw and Gruden did not get along and they did not see eye to eye. Davis kept Gruden and let Shaw walk.

Now, on topic: one game is too small of a sample. Joe Brady was a miracle worker in college, transforming LSU from a plodding 1970’s offense into the most potent attack in history.

The Raiders faced that scheme, manned by Bridgewater (new) — they had no prior film to study and no clues on what they’d see. They still won, with a few periods of solid defensive effort in the game.

You need to wait four games before you render a judgement. So far ... mixed. I suspect the defense might have a better showing against the Saints, believe it or not.

I don't know why we didn't go after Wade Phillips. Seems like he can have garbage defensive players and he still delivers a top 5 defense everytime. Not a fan of Guenther and I don't see our D been any better than a top 20 defense. Mullen and Abrams, Crosby are keepers but imo everyone else is expendable.

The Raiders need to play good defensive football to compete. That goes without saying. With today’s game favoring the offense and without the benefit of an offseason you guys are correct. It’s to soon to pass judgement. The defense did make a key stop and they did a reasonable job of contacting McCaffrey in the first three quarters.

The most important thing is we won the game and the defense was a big part of it.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast