Gunfire (Inadvertent)4
    Heart attack5
    Motorcycle crash2
    Struck by vehicle6
    Unidentified1
    Vehicle pursuit2
    Vehicular assault6
    Total Deaths by Month

These are 2020 numbers so far this year.

half of those deaths are from covid. should police start shooting people who don't wear masks? well, i guess that'd be a step up from this ********.

hell, half of the rest are just car accidents, heart attacks and suicides. there are no targeted killings here, and there sure as hell isn't any evidence that police officers are being "targeted daily and killed".

for some frame of reference, here's some mortality data from one of the (many) jobs in this country that are more dangerous than police officer:
    The latest BLS annual report on fatal workplace accidents, released on Dec. 17, showed that there were 1,008 construction deaths last year in the private sector, compared with 971 in 2017.

Shoop became the 32nd U.S. law enforcement officer shot to death this year on July 13, marking a 28% jump in felonious officer deaths over the same period in 2019, according to data from the FBI.

I can keep looking up stats and posting them that show police being targeted since this **** started.

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    Shoop became the 32nd U.S. law enforcement officer shot to death this year on July 13, marking a 28% jump in felonious officer deaths over the same period in 2019, according to data from the FBI.

I can keep looking up stats and posting them that show police being targeted since this **** started.
    do you really not believe there are some profiling going on at allll??? like not even a little?

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    do you really not believe there are some profiling going on at allll??? like not even a little?
    There's absolutely profiling going on, and to think that it shouldn't happen is ridiculous. Everyone profiles to a greater or lesser extent. That's basic threat management. These guys have exchanges with the public every day. They get a feel for how an encounter is going to go before it starts. Most of the time, when they pull a car over, they've already run your information.

You get called to a domestic disturbance, you're already expecting trouble. Someone's already gotten violent in some manner, so you're going to be at a higher state of readiness. You'd be stupid /not/ to. You could fire every single Caucasian cop out there (and at this point I wish they would), and this isn't going to change. While racism is involved to a certain extent, it's not the extent of the problem. There are a lot of deeper issues that lead to events like this. Guys aren't out getting gunned down just because they are black. In nearly every single case you see reported, they are resisting. They usually have a rap sheet a mile long. They often have warrants out. They have a /reason/ to resist, because they are going to sit in jail for a good long time.

So are cops on a higher alert level when they roll up on black dudes? I think it's likely. I think they are expecting the encounter to be problematic. I can guarantee though, I'd be at a higher alert level when I am called out for a domestic disturbance than I would be a noise complaint. If you think you're being targeted, COMPLY. Do as you are told! It shouldn't be that hard. It shouldn't be a debate, you resist a dude with a gun, you are taking your life into your own hands...or more accurately putting it in the other guy's hands. Don't give the guy a reason! This should be common sense, but it's not. We refuse to hold the guys doing things they shouldn't be doing accountable. Are the cops being excessive? Absolutely. That doesn't mean the guy they are trying to arrest is in the right or innocent.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    btw, my position on this isn't so gung ho.

i think a government should not be in the business of killing its residents. period. calling the police in this country is a lethal threat (hi karen), and that is a ****ing disgrace to our society. it needs to ****ing stop.

the idea that a police officer who can't handle a situation verbally, who can't beat a man into submission, who can't tase him into submission, is just allowed to shoot that man in the back 7 times (in front of his multiple children, no less) because he was so ****ing bad at his job that lethal force became "justified" is a ****ing travesty.

this wasn't ****ing columbine. there were no shots fired. there was no imminent threat of death. well, not until shooter mcgavin got there, anyway.
    I agree but i actually dont think its as big of a problem as people make it.... i know this sounds harsh but its like the .1 percent of cops that **** up like this... i do think cops need to be trained better but for the most part the majority of cops now have a bullseye on them because of a few bad apples. The system needs to train better and cops who have a history of even a few bad things need to be let go.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyhawk View Post
    There's absolutely profiling going on, and to think that it shouldn't happen is ridiculous. Everyone profiles to a greater or lesser extent. That's basic threat management. These guys have exchanges with the public every day. They get a feel for how an encounter is going to go before it starts. Most of the time, when they pull a car over, they've already run your information.

You get called to a domestic disturbance, you're already expecting trouble. Someone's already gotten violent in some manner, so you're going to be at a higher state of readiness. You'd be stupid /not/ to. You could fire every single Caucasian cop out there (and at this point I wish they would), and this isn't going to change. While racism is involved to a certain extent, it's not the extent of the problem. There are a lot of deeper issues that lead to events like this. Guys aren't out getting gunned down just because they are black. In nearly every single case you see reported, they are resisting. They usually have a rap sheet a mile long. They often have warrants out. They have a /reason/ to resist, because they are going to sit in jail for a good long time.

So are cops on a higher alert level when they roll up on black dudes? I think it's likely. I think they are expecting the encounter to be problematic. I can guarantee though, I'd be at a higher alert level when I am called out for a domestic disturbance than I would be a noise complaint. If you think you're being targeted, COMPLY. Do as you are told! It shouldn't be that hard. It shouldn't be a debate, you resist a dude with a gun, you are taking your life into your own hands...or more accurately putting it in the other guy's hands. Don't give the guy a reason! This should be common sense, but it's not. We refuse to hold the guys doing things they shouldn't be doing accountable. Are the cops being excessive? Absolutely. That doesn't mean the guy they are trying to arrest is in the right or innocent.
    i think its def likely but its not just because the dudes are black but because of the poor high crime rate areas they are in..... if cops are pulling up to black family in beverly hills they arent going to be anywhere near as worried... so its not just the color of the person but the area the person or persons are in. Its something they signed up for though but its a really unforgiving job at this point

Laughton is a disaster waiting to happen defensively every time his shift extends beyond 45 seconds

Provorov has been a turnover machine all series. I expect better at this point. Sanheim and Myers have been better - easily.

they are destroying our offense on the post game show... key tidbits

-offense stinks and is putting to much pressure on hart and the defense to the point that all the islanders need to do is wear down the flyers and stupid mistakes will happen and the game is over

-after the flyers scored the first goal they got outshot 15-1

-where is the leadership

-where is the man in front of the net and why are the flyers so scared to get hit with the puck

-One of the worst periods of hockey they have seen in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Provorov has been a turnover machine all series. I expect better at this point. Sanheim and Myers have been better - easily.
    neither guy is being asked to do everything prov is... yes the turnover sucked and we get it you have always had bias against prov but you should watch the post game show.... the defense is being forced into horrible positions because the offense stinks and ISNT DOING ANYTHING.... No leadership/None of the top guys wanting to shoot the damn puck.... We are asking our defense and our goalie to do everything so far all playoffs long.... our issues ARE THE OFFENSE... G/Couts/JVR legit all blow offensively right now.

turnover machine- boxscore says he has 2 turnovers total in the first 3 games... Nisk has 4.... and has played less.... what am i missing? unless these stats are wrong
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 08-29-2020 at 10:11 PM.

that was def a ****** turnover and goal from prov.... our biggest issue which has been all playoffs is our top guys not scoring or really not doing anything on offense... cant keep doing this every game and think hart is gonna bail us out... tampa without stamkos scored 3 on boston like it was nothing... we cant score more than 1 goal

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    neither guy is being asked to do everything prov is... yes the turnover sucked and we get it you have always had bias against prov but you should watch the post game show.... the defense is being forced into horrible positions because the offense stinks and ISNT DOING ANYTHING.... No leadership/None of the top guys wanting to shoot the damn puck.... We are asking our defense and our goalie to do everything so far all playoffs long.... our issues ARE THE OFFENSE... G/Couts/JVR legit all blow offensively right now.

turnover machine- boxscore says he has 2 turnovers total in the first 3 games... Nisk has 4.... and has played less.... what am i missing? unless these stats are wrong
    I love the player and pick, but he has to live up to Norris talk. He is well below that still. He can be the best, he hasnít been this series.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    they are destroying our offense on the post game show... key tidbits

-offense stinks and is putting to much pressure on hart and the defense to the point that all the islanders need to do is wear down the flyers and stupid mistakes will happen and the game is over

-after the flyers scored the first goal they got outshot 15-1

-where is the leadership

-where is the man in front of the net and why are the flyers so scared to get hit with the puck

-One of the worst periods of hockey they have seen in a long time
    They're not wrong. Our offense stinks right now. There doesn't appear to be any leadership. They do not appear to have been ready for playoff hockey.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

Well, season pretty much on the line tonight. They better decide to show up tonight. This is ridiculous how they haven't been able to generate any offense since the Montreal series began. Throw the lines in a blender at this point because nothing is working.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast