Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 77 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1729
  1. #1141
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    9,638
    Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    Lauri is a role player. You want a role player and a 1st?

    Would like to remind everyone Lauri is a guy most on here want to move on from OR sign for a low contract for a reduced role off the bench. That stance seems contradictory with the value thrown around but I digress.
    One mans trash is another mans treasure. JK I'm not calling Lauri Trash, but in terms of the value for us compared to value for lets say the Blazers, his value is higher for them. Have you seen their PF's?

    Robert Covington

    31.1 MPG
    36.4 FG%
    33.1 3P%
    7.4 PPG
    6.3 RPG
    1.3 APG
    1.1 BPG
    1.6 SPG

    Carmelo Anthony

    25.4 MPG
    39.8 FG%
    37.8 3P%
    13.4 PPG
    3.5 RPG
    1.3 APG
    0.7 BPG
    0.8 SPG

    Their only active Center right now is Enes Kanter!!! Nurkic is on his way back soon. So is CJ Mac. When they get CJ Mac and Nurkic back, Simons will be right back to emergency minutes. The 3 man Guard rotation is Dame/CJ/Trent. Not much room for Simons. We could take a flier on Simons for some guard depth. The Blazers would look more functional with Lauri once they are full strength. They attach their likely low 20's 1st with Simons for Lauri and maybe a 2nd if need be. That's a win win for both teams.

    It's not about Lauri sucking, why we don't want him here. It's about what is best for us moving forward. We see that we can win games without Lauri. We see that Pat Williams is fully capable of playing the 4 in the NBA, at 19 years old. We see that our defense is improving with Pat at the 4 and Carter at the 5. Thad obvious is the 2nd biggest difference maker on this team, so Lauri became a Luxury for us. Sometimes the best thing to do is trade your luxury's to plug other holes and add young assets.

    As for Lauri being a role player, yeah he is, but he's a really good one who is established in this league. The Blazers have 2 stars. They could use an above average Role Player, who can be a 3rd scoring option, and shoot from deep. Simons isn't even close to the value of Lauri. He's a low end role player, with upside to be more. But he won't really ever get that chance in Portland. They have 3 guards that are way better then him. 2 are combo PG's, and one is a solid young SG, who is fast improving.

    Dame/CJ/Jones/Covington/Nurkic
    Trent/Hood/Melo/Lauri/Kanter/Collins is a functional team. You start Covington for defense with Dame and CJ providing offense, and then when they start staggering those 2, you use Lauri in those rotations to provide them solid complimentary offense.

    If you look at all of the picks the Blazers have brought in recently, none are really close to Lauri's level, so losing a luxury Guard and a late 1st for him is kind of a no brainer.

  2. #1142
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Depaul
    Posts
    2,602
    I don't know enough about Simons. Just a cursory look, that'd be a deal I'd consider. Kids still 21 and has all the traits to make good. I'd probably be happy with that.

  3. #1143
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22,750
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    I'm coming around to it if it came at 16-18. The cap is only going to go up considerably after covid settles. Lauri isn't going to get worse. There's always someone out there for a trade. I don't think at those numbers you're stuck at all.
    Lauri looks less explosive to me than he did during his first two years. Constantly is injured too. Maybe he doesnít get worse. Maybe he does. Is he likely to improve much though?

    Plays soft, bad defense,
    , poor defensive awareness, no post moves. Those are all tough things to improve. Iím admittedly out of the loop when it comes to current contracts in todayís landscape....but Iíd only want to pay him a fair price for a bench player playing about 25 mins a game. Whatever that number is. And Iíd likely still look to trade him at some point because he hasnít proven he could stay healthy.

  4. #1144
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    9,638
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    I'm coming around to it if it came at 16-18. The cap is only going to go up considerably after covid settles. Lauri isn't going to get worse. There's always someone out there for a trade. I don't think at those numbers you're stuck at all.
    I would sign Lauri for 16-20 million if we don't trade him this year, and can't bring in a more athletic 3 or 4 in the offseason. He is worth the money. I just would prefer to go a different route. I think we'd be better off with Oubre and Pat then with Pat and Lauri. Just from a Defense and Athleticism stand point. I'm not saying I want Oubre, just using him as an example.

    There are going to be desperate playoff teams that will want a stretch 4 at the deadline, and we need to take advantage of that.

    Again, I'll repeat, trading Lauri has nothing to do with me thinking he isn't good. I think he's solid, and has room to grow. I just think for us, we can do better in the offseason. Some of these teams we are talking about trading him to, they don't have the money to improve via Free Agency. They have to be savvy and add players through trades if they want to improve their rosters. With Thad and Pat playing so well at the 4, Lauri is our Luxury. He's expendable.

  5. #1145
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22,750
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    One mans trash is another mans treasure. JK I'm not calling Lauri Trash, but in terms of the value for us compared to value for lets say the Blazers, his value is higher for them. Have you seen their PF's?

    Robert Covington

    31.1 MPG
    36.4 FG%
    33.1 3P%
    7.4 PPG
    6.3 RPG
    1.3 APG
    1.1 BPG
    1.6 SPG

    Carmelo Anthony

    25.4 MPG
    39.8 FG%
    37.8 3P%
    13.4 PPG
    3.5 RPG
    1.3 APG
    0.7 BPG
    0.8 SPG

    Their only active Center right now is Enes Kanter!!! Nurkic is on his way back soon. So is CJ Mac. When they get CJ Mac and Nurkic back, Simons will be right back to emergency minutes. The 3 man Guard rotation is Dame/CJ/Trent. Not much room for Simons. We could take a flier on Simons for some guard depth. The Blazers would look more functional with Lauri once they are full strength. They attach their likely low 20's 1st with Simons for Lauri and maybe a 2nd if need be. That's a win win for both teams.

    It's not about Lauri sucking, why we don't want him here. It's about what is best for us moving forward. We see that we can win games without Lauri. We see that Pat Williams is fully capable of playing the 4 in the NBA, at 19 years old. We see that our defense is improving with Pat at the 4 and Carter at the 5. Thad obvious is the 2nd biggest difference maker on this team, so Lauri became a Luxury for us. Sometimes the best thing to do is trade your luxury's to plug other holes and add young assets.

    As for Lauri being a role player, yeah he is, but he's a really good one who is established in this league. The Blazers have 2 stars. They could use an above average Role Player, who can be a 3rd scoring option, and shoot from deep. Simons isn't even close to the value of Lauri. He's a low end role player, with upside to be more. But he won't really ever get that chance in Portland. They have 3 guards that are way better then him. 2 are combo PG's, and one is a solid young SG, who is fast improving.

    Dame/CJ/Jones/Covington/Nurkic
    Trent/Hood/Melo/Lauri/Kanter/Collins is a functional team. You start Covington for defense with Dame and CJ providing offense, and then when they start staggering those 2, you use Lauri in those rotations to provide them solid complimentary offense.

    If you look at all of the picks the Blazers have brought in recently, none are really close to Lauri's level, so losing a luxury Guard and a late 1st for him is kind of a no brainer.
    Again, lauris consistent injury woes have to be weighed in assessing his value. A playoff team is going to have to have interest in him if they want to make a push. Is a playoff team going to give a lot of value for a guy they may not have confidence in being available or staying available?

  6. #1146
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    9,638
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    I don't know enough about Simons. Just a cursory look, that'd be a deal I'd consider. Kids still 21 and has all the traits to make good. I'd probably be happy with that.
    Simons is a quick combo guard. Probably more of an undersized SG then a PG though. He's shooting really good from beyond the Arc this year, but for the most part has been inefficient. He's pretty quick too. He's just a piece you take a chance on and don't expect greatness, but realize there is potential there. He won't ever be anything in Portland as long as they have Dame/CJ/Trent. Those guys are going to play 99.9% of the Guard minutes in meaningful games.

  7. #1147
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    9,638
    Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    Again, lauris consistent injury woes have to be weighed in assessing his value. A playoff team is going to have to have interest in him if they want to make a push. Is a playoff team going to give a lot of value for a guy they may not have confidence in being available or staying available?
    Of course that's weighed into their decision, but that's also why we aren't getting a lottery pick for Lauri. If Lauri wasn't hurt, and averaging 20 PPG shooting 40% from 3, I think we could do better. But it is what it is. To me he's a medium risk, high reward player for a team like the Blazers or Warriors.

  8. #1148
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22,750
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Of course that's weighed into their decision, but that's also why we aren't getting a lottery pick for Lauri. If Lauri wasn't hurt, and averaging 20 PPG shooting 40% from 3, I think we could do better. But it is what it is. To me he's a medium risk, high reward player for a team like the Blazers or Warriors.
    Donít think Lauri would be worth a lottery pick even if heís always healthy. Has way too many deficiencies in his game.

  9. #1149
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    9,638
    So I discussed the Blazers trade. Now lets jump into the Warriors:

    We get the Warriors pick, probably right around the same area the Blazers pick will fall, along with Eric Paschall, another role player who is a luxury for the Warriors once they have a big group of Dray/Lauri/Wiseman.

    The Warriors this year need a shooter to help Steph. They can't rely on Wiggins and Oubre's shots falling consistently. I watch a lot of NBA cuz I gamble quite a bit, and Steph always finds these guys wide open. Only problem is, their shots don't fall consistently from deep. Insert Lauri, and that changes. Lauri would probably Explode with the wide open looks he'd get on the Warriors. He's also a great fit with Dray, and would fit nice next to Wiseman. That's a pretty good 3 man rotation. With the defensive versatility of Wiggins, Oubre, and Dray, and the Rim Protection from Wiseman, the Warriors would be able to hide a lot of Lauri's defensive deficiency's, similar to how they've been able to hide Steph's at the highest level in the playoffs.

    The Warriors would also have the option of going deeper into the tax by keeping Lauri in the offseason, which would help a lot, because they won't have any money to add a free agent of his caliber otherwise. Now you have Steph/Klay/Wiggins/Dray/Wiseman with Lauri as their 6th man bench scorer, and Bazemore as their Bench Perimeter defense, with the possibility of another high draft pick, unless it falls within the Wolves Protections.

  10. #1150
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    9,638
    Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    Donít think Lauri would be worth a lottery pick even if heís always healthy. Has way too many deficiencies in his game.
    Do you think the Suns would have rather had Lauri then Jaylen Smith? Personally I do. Mid to Late Lottery picks are a crap shoot. Teams trying to compete now will take the guy that they know what to expect IMO.

  11. #1151
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    36
    This discussion about lauri I liken to that of the same conversations that were had when lavine was coming into his contract year a season after an acl injury and two injury riddled seasons. Itís almost the exact same discussions when we were comparing him to people like hield and the contract he was going to get and look how thatís turned out. Heís worth much more than a late first and I feel between 16-20 per especially in the middle of that to the bottom half for lauri and what heís shown this year and his first is well worth his production in those years and the young lottery ticket he is. We need to stop pretending heís just a stretch 4 and look at the other things he does and is capable of are his other attributes other than scoring elite no but are they average they are and thatís enough for that type of contract

  12. #1152
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Wxlves View Post
    This discussion about lauri I liken to that of the same conversations that were had when lavine was coming into his contract year a season after an acl injury and two injury riddled seasons. Itís almost the exact same discussions when we were comparing him to people like hield and the contract he was going to get and look how thatís turned out. Heís worth much more than a late first and I feel between 16-20 per especially in the middle of that to the bottom half for lauri and what heís shown this year and his first is well worth his production in those years and the young lottery ticket he is. We need to stop pretending heís just a stretch 4 and look at the other things he does and is capable of are his other attributes other than scoring elite no but are they average they are and thatís enough for that type of contract
    Never know you could be right Iím sticking to my opinion but if Bulls lock up Lauri I really hope he learns how to take advantage of smaller 4s that teams are running. When youíre a liability defensively against smaller 4s you better learn how to score on them.

    I had a discussion with someone the other day that brought up a really good point against Lauri and itís he really struggles offensively against smaller 4s heís not fast enough to get away from them and doesnít have the post skills to make them pay.

    And when I started thinking about it he might be right even having one of his best stretches of basketball in his career this year some of his worst games this season were against smaller 4s. I'm not sure if you've noticed it but something i'm going to keep my eye on for sure.
    Last edited by Rndy; 02-24-2021 at 07:06 PM.

  13. #1153
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    9,638
    My thing with Lauri, and I feel like a few others in here agree, is when his offense is off, he hurts us more then he helps. That's why I feel like this recent stretch with Pat/Thad/Wendell as the big man rotation, we've been much more consistent. With that said, with those 3 and Lauri, we'd function even better. Imagine Lauri stretching the floor rather then Luck Freaking Kornet! We would be winning these games a helluva lot more comfortably. But I think in the offseason, we'd be better off signing someone like Holmes to replace Gafford at Backup C, and going after the best possible wing available to pair with Pat Williams.

    Could we be good with Lauri next year? Yeah. Could we be better with a Veteran PG, a Free Agent Wing, a Free Agent Backup C, and an additional 1st to add a young rookie contract controllable asset? You bet your *** we would. And this statement is the key. We will have the money. There is a lot coming off the books if we aren't resigning Lauri or Valentine, and with Porter, Felicio, and Kornet Expiring.

  14. #1154
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Rndy View Post
    Never know you could be right Iím sticking to my opinion but if Bulls lock up Lauri I really hope he learns how to take advantage of smaller 4s that teams are running. When youíre a liability defensively against smaller 4s you better learn how to score on them.

    I had a discussion with someone the other day that brought up a really good point against Lauri and itís he really struggles offensively against smaller 4s heís not fast enough to get away from them and doesnít have the post skills to make them pay.

    And when I started thinking about it he might be right even having one of his best stretches of basketball in his career this year some of his worst games this season were against smaller 4s. I'm not sure if you've noticed it but something i'm going to keep my eye on for sure.
    Agreed 100%

  15. #1155
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    36
    Why canít we have all those things plus lauri? Lauri has no bearing on blocking a backup center. Also the luxury of lauri right now is we can have all those things plus lauri if we want to spend the money and thatís when he comes a huge luxury for us. Teams falter when they are missing certain aspects like back ups, or bench scoring, etc. right now we have have enough money coming off the books to sign a good veteran pg and wing hopefully one of those being a star but the free agent pool has really weakened and is now all dependent on teams faltering to hopefully open up someone like Leonard. But we still have more than enough money for a good veteran pg, a superstar and a back up center all before signing lauri to his extension. Then with lauri we could have him as a starter who will hopefully thrive with an actual point guard that can put him in better positions to score rather than white doing it. If not now we have a scoring punch in white and lauri as elite threats coming off the bench of staggering starter minutes. Itís like last year the clips having the luxury of both Harrell and Lou will coming off the bench. Now Iím all for trading lauri for a younger promising controllable player or a late lottery/mid round pick but anything later than that your hoping to strike gold for the hell of it when you have no reason to get rid of lauri because we can have everything everyone wants plus lauri. Yes then the team becomes expensive but hopefully those other three needs of ours are worth the spending and trust us into the discussion of title contender. Letís say we retain people like Thad, temple, sato for another year or similar personal for decent money

    Vet. Pg/ Coby/sato
    Lavine/temple
    Leonard/pat/temple
    Lauri/Thad/pat/ Leonard
    Carter/lauri/Thad/vet C.

    Thatís a hell of versatile line up with tons of ways to play big or play small that most teams couldnít rival, all contingent on if Leonard opts out and wants to come here but just a scenerio

    Iíd love to dangle lauri/hutch/ a 1st and whatever else it would take to try and pry Lowry and siakim or OG from the raptors cuz I think thatís much more doable than Leonard opting out and coming here

Page 77 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •