Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Belarus

Belarus

A rigged election has triggered some widespread protests and the crack down is scary. Itís essentially the last European dictatorship trying to silence democracy :

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-eu...e-and-protests

Also a sample of what could happen here when a loser claims the election was rigged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    What is happening there is disgusting. There is no doubt that Lukashenko rigged that election.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    What is happening there is disgusting. There is no doubt that Lukashenko rigged that election.
    80% of the vote. I mean come on. 60% of the vote is protesting lol.

Also get ready for a crackdown in Russia. Not sure if anyone is following it, but this one has been going for a while and Moscow is already sending in stooges: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/25/w...habarovsk.html

Bolivia is also on lockdown from protestors blocking roads and supporting their ousted President.

Maybe I should have called this a global protest thread.

There were photos online of election officers showing the real vote totals and Lukashenko was getting beat bad. Why even go through this sham process that everyone knows is a sham and just declare yourself leader for another 4 years? Be a lot easier.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.Ē

-JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    There were photos online of election officers showing the real vote totals and Lukashenko was getting beat bad. Why even go through this sham process that everyone knows is a sham and just declare yourself leader for another 4 years? Be a lot easier.
    and that's done in a lot of countries, too.....people calling themselves the peoples' president when they're dictators thru and thru.....'oh look, I've been re-elected again, the people love me!'
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I just went down a rabbit hole of videos of Lukashensko's thuggish police viciously suppressing protesters. It's long been an undeniably criminal and evil authoritarian regime, and hopefully this blatantly sham of an election (his 6th term, btw) is the final breaking point. Hopefully the revolutionaries can pull this off.
    HELLO

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    and that's done in a lot of countries, too.....people calling themselves the peoples' president when they're dictators thru and thru.....'oh look, I've been re-elected again, the people love me!'
    Sounds familiar, even if in far less draconian circumstances.

I read in the paper that heís now getting support (ďsecurityĒ) from Putin. So messed up.

I don't really get why our government isn't pushing the UN hard to impose sanctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't really get why our government isn't pushing the UN hard to impose sanctions.
    Because our government has basically no interest in doing anything positive that involves the UN.

And thereís no strategic value to Belarus.

The story hasnít cracked cable media so thereís no push from citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    And thereís no strategic value to Belarus.

The story hasnít cracked cable media so thereís no push from citizens.
    And why hasn't it? Our congress certainly seems obsessed with Russia, and Putin got himself named President for the next 15 years or something like that and he's not even called out on it.

What a farce.

Brutal first hand account of someone that was tortured by the police in a detention center: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKo...ture=emb_title

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Our foreign policy has always been driven by greed and not altruism. Belarus is inconsequential to us. Thus, we don't care.
    HELLO

And why hasn't it? Our congress certainly seems obsessed with Russia, and Putin got himself named President for the next 15 years or something like that and he's not even called out on it.

What a farce.
    Media is too wrapped up with covering the same 3 talking points on a 24 hour loop I assume. Theyíre worthless itís why Iím down to just reading the paper. Itís the only way to get expanded coverage of the world.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast