Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cooking and grilling and food and stuff thread

I wish the food talk was a little better around here, hell, discussion in general I wish was better around here.

I love to cook. For a middle aged white guy with no higher-culinary experience I can get down for sure. In high school I used to be a personal chef for a widowed rich dude in our Country Club estates. Would go in and fix him dinner several nights through the week. At the time I was a kitchen manager at Shoney's as well which is probably where I got my love for "cooking" but it was that experience with him where I got to do some of the higher end cooking (lobster tail, prime ribs, beef wellington, crab legs, etc.).

Anyways, fast forward to now and whether it's inside or outside I just love to cook. Recently tore down our deck and poured a huge patio that wraps around the back of our house and in doing so designed it in a way that included a little spot for all of my toys. Got the Blackstone which I swear by and think every man in America needs for many reasons, Weber gasser, Weber charcoal, and an electric master built smoker.

My plans: Upgrade the Blackstone to a newer, larger model. Take my old one to the lake where our camper is. These things are great for breakfasts. I'd also like to go bigger on the Weber gasser. With the kids getting older and eventually starting families I need more area for cooking. I also want to pass down my Webers to both boys, one gets the gasser and the other will get the charcoal. Right now my charcoal weber is the standard kettle. I'd like to get the performer that has the shelf attached. As far as the smoker goes, I would like to trade that to a pellet type. When I smoke, it's not in great quantities so a smaller Pit Boss/Traeger would do the trick.

What do you guys have? What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I wish the food talk was a little better around here, hell, discussion in general I wish was better around here.

I love to cook. For a middle aged white guy with no higher-culinary experience I can get down for sure. In high school I used to be a personal chef for a widowed rich dude in our Country Club estates. Would go in and fix him dinner several nights through the week. At the time I was a kitchen manager at Shoney's as well which is probably where I got my love for "cooking" but it was that experience with him where I got to do some of the higher end cooking (lobster tail, prime ribs, beef wellington, crab legs, etc.).

Anyways, fast forward to now and whether it's inside or outside I just love to cook. Recently tore down our deck and poured a huge patio that wraps around the back of our house and in doing so designed it in a way that included a little spot for all of my toys. Got the Blackstone which I swear by and think every man in America needs for many reasons, Weber gasser, Weber charcoal, and an electric master built smoker.

My plans: Upgrade the Blackstone to a newer, larger model. Take my old one to the lake where our camper is. These things are great for breakfasts. I'd also like to go bigger on the Weber gasser. With the kids getting older and eventually starting families I need more area for cooking. I also want to pass down my Webers to both boys, one gets the gasser and the other will get the charcoal. Right now my charcoal weber is the standard kettle. I'd like to get the performer that has the shelf attached. As far as the smoker goes, I would like to trade that to a pellet type. When I smoke, it's not in great quantities so a smaller Pit Boss/Traeger would do the trick.

What do you guys have? What do you do?
    Best non built-in grill on the market: https://broilkingbbq.com/grills/imperial/imperial_590/

I run natural gas to it and bury the needle at 750 degrees. Had a thermometer give me a reading of 843 degrees in that bad boy.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Best non built-in grill on the market: https://broilkingbbq.com/grills/imperial/imperial_590/

I run natural gas to it and bury the needle at 750 degrees. Had a thermometer give me a reading of 843 degrees in that bad boy.
    Nothing beats a Weber homie. I'm convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Nothing beats a Weber homie. I'm convinced.
    Weber's are good, but nah man. I had Weber's for all of my adult life until 6 years ago when I bought that Broil King. It's not even close. Honestly. You show me a Weber that can get up to 843 degrees and I will call you a liar.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

I have a Big Green Egg that I do most of my cooking on. I have a Weber kettle for briquettes, and a small Weber gas grill for tailgates that I also have set up on my deck currently. I'm looking for a pellet smoker, and might also get a drum smoker as well.

I've learned quite a bit from a chef at my church, as well as just trying things out. If you are interested in a BBQ channel, Malcolm Reed's HowToBBQRight is the best, and I take a lot of my recipes and techniques from him.

I used to use the foreman grill every now then.

Then one time I accidentally grilled my foot on it. So I stopped using it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

I've got an older model of one of these and am all about it. The convenience of relatively quick and clean startup with gas but still uses charcoal. Best of both worlds for my usage.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I've got an older model of one of these and am all about it. The convenience of relatively quick and clean startup with gas but still uses charcoal. Best of both worlds for my usage.

This is what I am upgrading my basic Weber kettle to.

However, the newest kettle model came with quite a few upgrades to it (hinged lid for one) so I may chose to go to that and build a table of my own to go on it.

I love bbq.

I have honestly perfected the indirect heat method for chicken, and it is oh so good.

Regardless of meat, I'm all about the quick sear on each side and then indirect cook for the rest/majority of cooking time.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Wood pellet smoker/grill beats anything with a propane tank attached to it, regardless of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Regardless of meat, I'm all about the quick sear on each side and then indirect cook for the rest/majority of cooking time.
    I'm just the opposite, I like reverse-searing for a lot of things like big pieces of meat (top/bottom round, tomahawk ribeye)

I'm a Weber man as well and have never strayed. It's more work but the flavor from the charcoal is worth the ease of gas. Although those traeger pellet grills are intriguing they are so damn expensive. Hopefully the prices come down on those grills and maybe I'd give one a try.

As for smoking I'm a big believer in the snake method. 2 slabs of baby back coated in magic dust. Snake the coals with hickory chips. Start hot coals on one end and come back 4 hours later for perfection

Quote Originally Posted by ReJo View Post
    I'm a Weber man as well and have never strayed. It's more work but the flavor from the charcoal is worth the ease of gas. Although those traeger pellet grills are intriguing they are so damn expensive. Hopefully the prices come down on those grills and maybe I'd give one a try.
    Weber just released their first pellet grill called the Smoke Fire. All of the videos Ive seen make it look great, but a friend of mine was telling me there are some issues with the construction- which is fair, given it's their first time doing it. I might wait for their next model. Two of the issues are with the pellet feed, and they have already released a fix for it. The other- potential for grease fires at high and low temperatures- are very concerning and not sure I like their response.

https://www.derrickriches.com/weber-pellet-grill/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pelletgrill...arding_grease/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast