Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Again no one suggestion he play every day and gets an extra 100 or so ABs

Only thing suggested was maybe using him as a DH for a handful of games against some RHers, which would be maybe at most 20 PA

I admitted that I was looking more at Bryant overall stats and overlooked how he has improved so far the last 2 weeks
    Where are you getting "at most 20PA" righties are VERY common.

The question is literally this:

Is Kipnis better at hitting righties than whomever you're starting him over in those games?

If yes: Play him. <----Different conversation. But something that can be worth talking about.

If no: Do not play him. Play the better player unless it would be their regularly scheduled off day.

There is one other question worth asking: Is Kipnis the best guy to take the back up reps? He may be. I dunno. But that's ALSO a different question entirely.

BUT if anyone believes that Kipnis is worse than Caratini, it would be extremely silly to start Kipnis over Caratini if it would not normally be a day that Caratini gets off. And yes, I know you don't mean ALL the time. But if you believe he is the lesser hitter, you do not start him over a better one "a few extra times" just because.

As an aside: I think Nico will be fine. He's struggling against fastballs. Which I don't think will be an issue for him. He does need to elevate the ball a bit more, but he DOES make good contact. He doesn't have high end exit-velo, but he very consistently hits the ball hard. This can be shown with his average exit-velo being 55th percentile, but his hard hit rate being 81st percentile.

That's quite good to have. He also has an EXTREMELY low whiff rate (90th percentile). I think, given what he's shown so far, we should be relatively optimistic about him. Hopefully the Cubs can teach him to get under the ball a bit more. But I think he's probably going to be at least a very solid player. And if he can get under the ball a little bit more, probably a very good one.

Last thing of note: Hendricks has given up only one "barrel" on the entire season. That's kind of insane. His average exit velocity is currently 84.5MPH with an average launch angle of 7.1 degrees. Really, really good stuff.

8/11 & 8/12: Cubs (10-3) at Indians (10-7) IGT

Again no one suggestion he play every day and gets an extra 100 or so ABs

Only thing suggested was maybe using him as a DH for a handful of games against some RHers, which would be maybe at most 20 PA

I admitted that I was looking more at Bryant overall stats and overlooked how he has improved so far the last 2 weeks
    I donít believe I suggested that you said he should play everyday.

Hereís my question. If thereís a player (not Kipnis, just a fake player) who is projected to hit around .250/.310/.400 in your models and in the first 30 PAs of the season he hits .350/.450/.600 what would you expect him to do starting with the 31st PA and going to the end of the season:

1. Much better than .250/.310/.400
    2. About the same as .250/.310/.400
    3. Much worse than .250/.310/.400
    Last edited by CP_414; 08-13-2020 at 12:46 PM.

[Bob Nightengale] The STLCards , providing all tests remain negative, are expected to resume their season Saturday with a doubleheader Saturday in Chicago against the WhiteSox. They'll stay in Chicago for 6 days, playing Sunday vs. the White Sox before moving to Wrigley for a 3-G series vs. Cubs

4 minutes later:

[Heyman] Friday Cards game looks like it will be postponed. Hear a STL coach tested positive. Saturday not ruled out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Agree with this. But we also know at this time, that Willy has no control of his emotions. It's just who he is.
    So he's the equivalent of a 2 year old?

He's a very emotional guy, sometimes this stuff will happen yes. But sometimes he also needs to check himself. The bat-flips need to stop, for instance.

Just when you thought you had already seen the worst called strike, Baseball throws you a curveball. Strap in, itís a good one.

https://gfycat.com/sorrowfulsecondha...adres-2020-mlb

The thing is, no one saying to hand Kipnis the every day starting 2B job and roll with it..

This all started with a simple suggestion/thought of maybe Ross should consider getting him a few more ABs as a DH against some RHers....

That it, not start him more over Hoerner or Bote at 2B

Ross isnt looking at how he performed the last 3 years, Ross is looking at how he performing this year, and as long as he producing, Ross will look for ways to get his bat in the lineup.
    Exactly. It isn't that hard to understand. If someone is hitting well and other players aren't, you play them more until that changes. Even a moron manager can understand that. There's no controversy here. It doesn't matter what Descalso or Almora or Kimbrel's usual career numbers are, if they start to suck you don't play them as much.

Maddon kept playing those guys last year when they sucked and everyone complained, but they don't want to play Kipnis a few more games because he's hitting well? Bunch of hypocrities. It's the exact same thing in reverse.

Everyone wants Alec Mills to start over Q when Q comes back. Alec Mills numbers the last few years in AAA are crap, but he's pitching well. You don't mess that up until he starts sucking.
    Last edited by Stratos; 08-13-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I donít believe I suggested that you said he should play everyday.

Hereís my question. If thereís a player (not Kipnis, just a fake player) who is projected to hit around .250/.310/.400 in your models and in the first 30 PAs of the season he hits .350/.450/.600 what would you expect him to do starting with the 31st PA and going to the end of the season:

1. Much better than .250/.310/.400
    2. About the same as .250/.310/.400
    3. Much worse than .250/.310/.400
    I get it and alot of projections don't always pan out and go the way they think it should..

Yea, he could **** the bed and pull a Descalso the rest of the year and go 0 fer his next 30
    Or
    He could just continue to be productive, not at the pace he at but good enough to continue giving him ABs here and there..
    If he finishes the rest of year playing at
    .280/.330/.410 would that be terrible?

Do we still think this will happen?

According to the updated 60-Game PECOTA*Projections, the Chicago*Cubs*will finish the*2020*season in second place of the NL Central with somewhere between 31-32*wins, just one game behind the Reds, and one game ahead of the Cardinals and Brewers (in the second Wild Card position).Jul 8, 2020

Things happen that changes projections sometimes for better or worse..

Did anyone project Kimbrel would fall as hard as he did when the cubs signed him?
    Probably not

Maybe Kipnis is and continues to play well because he not going to face many real good pitching playing just teams in the Division and AL Central..

I mean we can kinda wipe out a bit of what was the norm the last 3 years for teams and players because of the schedule and everything going on
    Last edited by chibears55; 08-13-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Nobody is upset that Kipnis is playing well. Itís awesome. Itís completely unsustainable.
    No crap. But it could last another 2 weeks, or another month. You play him more until he stops hitting the ball hard like he has. Most players have hot and cold months throughout the year, one month they'll hit .370, the next they'll hit .200.

There's no risk in playing Kipnis more right now. Nico has been sucking and Bote isn't Ryne Sandberg.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    ...because Kipnis is a bad player and 12-20 extra PA's going to bad players over better players is always a bad idea. It's not hard to see how that's terrible. The Chicago Cubs should always start the player they project to be the best player. 7 games of good results shouldn't change projections. It's been said over and over, you don't throw out all scientific evidence on a player because of a short season, nor do you do so for 7 games. If Bote/Hoerner need a day off...then give Kipnis time. But don't sit Contreras extra from the DH (especially with as many off games as the Cubs have coming up, and have just had) so that Kipnis can start and extra 3-5 games. We can't let 7 games of good results throw out everything we know about Kipnis.
    He's hitting the ball hard. Get him more AB's.

No one saying he going to continue hitting over a 1.000 OPS , no one suggesting he take over the starting role

The only thing that was suggested was maybe Ross will consider using him as a DH against some RHers

So yes, maybe that gets him an extra 12 to 20 PA over the last 45 games

Why that so terrible, I dont know
    You're 100% correct, ignore the naysayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    As an aside: I think Nico will be fine. He's struggling against fastballs. Which I don't think will be an issue for him. He does need to elevate the ball a bit more, but he DOES make good contact. He doesn't have high end exit-velo, but he very consistently hits the ball hard. This can be shown with his average exit-velo being 55th percentile, but his hard hit rate being 81st percentile.

That's quite good to have. He also has an EXTREMELY low whiff rate (90th percentile). I think, given what he's shown so far, we should be relatively optimistic about him. Hopefully the Cubs can teach him to get under the ball a bit more. But I think he's probably going to be at least a very solid player. And if he can get under the ball a little bit more, probably a very good one.

Last thing of note: Hendricks has given up only one "barrel" on the entire season. That's kind of insane. His average exit velocity is currently 84.5MPH with an average launch angle of 7.1 degrees. Really, really good stuff.
    Some high contact guys don't walk a lot because when they swing they often put the ball in play, so they don't get too deep into count. This is a concern for Nico for his OBP.

He could end up being a .330 OBP guy, and he doesn't have a ton of power. If he ends up being a .330 OBP/.400 SLG (.730 OPS) with average or above defense he's basically a replacement-level player. I hope he ends up better than that but it's very possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Some high contact guys don't walk a lot because when they swing they often put the ball in play, so they don't get too deep into count. This is a concern for Nico for his OBP.

He could end up being a .330 OBP guy, and he doesn't have a ton of power. If he ends up being a .330 OBP/.400 SLG (.730 OPS) with average or above defense he's basically a replacement-level player. I hope he ends up better than that but it's very possible.
    He could be another Starlin Castro

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast