Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
    The "good old days" are never as good as we remember them. We add nostalgia for the past, and overstate just how good those times were. It's no different than going back and playing what was your favorite video game as a kid, or re-watching a movie you thought was groundbreaking or reminiscing on an old girlfriend...it never lives up to the hype in your mind and you tend to remember all the good times, while letting the mundanity...slip away into the darkness. Back a decade ago, this place was about as inviting as it is now. 10-12 years ago, people were arguing here just as much, it wasn't just a bunch of dudes, clanking beers, loving on each other and the Cubs. In 2006 it was arguing over OPS and why batting average no longer mattered when I joined. I distinctly remember posters arguing over Ichiro and name calling. I took all sorts of **** as a new poster coming and bragging about Jacque Jones and his RBI's. Honestly, it was probably less inviting 14 years ago. Not more. But that's just a guess.

I've been around here as long as just about anyone now a days. The "good old days" of almost anything are really just "the old days". The more things change, the more they stay the same. The only major difference is the lack of numbers, not the content or the discussion. But that's an issue with forums across the landscape of sports and the internet in general, not a Cub-PSD forum issue exclusive.

Just my 10 cents.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 08-13-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    The "good old days" are never as good as we remember them. We add nostalgia for the past, and overstate just how good those times were. It's no different than going back and playing what was your favorite video game as a kid, or re-watching a movie you thought was groundbreaking or reminiscing on an old girlfriend...it never lives up to the hype in your mind and you tend to remember all the good times, while letting the mundanity...slip away into the darkness. Back a decade ago, this place was about as inviting as it is now. 10-12 years ago, people were arguing here just as much, it wasn't just a bunch of dudes, clanking beers, loving on each other and the Cubs. In 2006 it was arguing over OPS and why batting average no longer mattered when I joined. I distinctly remember posters arguing over Ichiro and name calling. I took all sorts of **** as a new poster coming and bragging about Jacque Jones and his RBI's. Honestly, it was probably less inviting 14 years ago. Not more. But that's just a guess.

I've been around here as long as just about anyone now a days. The "good old days" of almost anything are really just "the old days". The more things change, the more they stay the same. The only major difference is the lack of numbers, not the content or the discussion. But that's an issue with forums across the landscape of sports and the internet in general, not a Cub-PSD forum issue exclusive.

Just my 10 cents.
    Completely agree. I didn't officially join PSD until 2009 but i was a lurker as far back as atleast 2003. I was in college then. I thought it was a good place to get news and I enjoyed reading some of the conversation but had very little interest joining in. I'd say the major difference is that there is quite a bit less activity today, but that's just PSD as a whole and the many other options available for people to talk sports. I don't remember it being any more or less welcoming back then or when i joined. If anything the arguments were probably bigger because there were a lot more people to join in. This current argument might have been 20 pages instead of 3.

8/11 & 8/12: Cubs (10-3) at Indians (10-7) IGT

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Completely agree. I didn't officially join PSD until 2009 but i was a lurker as far back as atleast 2003. I was in college then. I thought it was a good place to get news and I enjoyed reading some of the conversation but had very little interest joining in. I'd say the major difference is that there is quite a bit less activity today, but that's just PSD as a whole and the many other options available for people to talk sports. I don't remember it being any more or less welcoming back then or when i joined. If anything the arguments were probably bigger because there were a lot more people to join in. This current argument might have been 20 pages instead of 3.
    I didnít even think this was really an ďargument.Ē

Iíve been in arguments here, this wasnít one of them. I thought this was a conversation.

Twitter is a thing now, so thereís just generally less activity on message boards than there was 10-15 years ago. This one actually still has a decent amount of activity considering all the other options.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Stop crying.

If you want a different kind of conversation here, then contribute towards it. If you want people to entertain you exactly how you want to be entertained go find it someplace else. Everyone is able to participate however they want. I donít believe anybody is unhappy with how the Cubs have played in the pandemic. Iím enjoying it. My version of enjoyment includes having actual conversations about the team and sometimes those conversations arenít agreement.

If your version of enjoyment is different you can participate in the conversation or move on.
    Feel better?

Ok. Letís focus on the Brewers series in the Brewers IGT.

Thank you.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

I didnít even think this was really an ďargument.Ē

Iíve been in arguments here, this wasnít one of them. I thought this was a conversation.

Twitter is a thing now, so thereís just generally less activity on message boards than there was 10-15 years ago. This one actually still has a decent amount of activity considering all the other options.
    I didn't consider it an "argument"...

Just a couple of us expressing a different view of something is all

I left a Forum to where they had a few posters on there that just went to insults and they joined together to attack your opinion, and the tip of the iceberg was that the Mod was part of it and would block you from the Forum sometimes if you argued against him or he didn't like your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Feel better?
    Itís hard to feel better when Iím already feeling great.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I didn't consider it an "argument"...

Just a couple of us expressing a different view of something is all

I left a Forum to where they had a few posters on there that just went to insults and they joined together to attack your opinion, and the tip of the iceberg was that the Mod was part of it and would block you from the Forum sometimes if you argued against him or he didn't like your opinion
    All good man. I disagree with you, but I wasnít trying to be a jerk to you. I didnít think I was one. I was genuinely trying to understand how those two ideas (play Kipnis more; his numbers will regress to the mean) meshed. Anyway. Go Cubs.
    Last edited by CP_414; 08-13-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I said what I said.

This place has just changed so much. It actually used to be welcoming and inviting, just a bunch of dudes enjoying the cubs.

IGTs are littered with arguing back and forth about internet dick size. Lots of intelligent posters here, even if everything isnít derived from calculating every turn.

Itís an every day ďthe sky is greenĒ ďwell actually itís this colorĒ crap all the time.

We are playing baseball in a ****ing pandemic, let people just enjoy it. And no, itís not directed at you but the forum in general.
    This is absolute BS. And there is NO WAY you believe this is true. Dude, 1908 used to go off on people. I'm an *******, but I used to be a MUCH bigger *******. Kirel used to post here all the time! And he was the crankiest dude alive!

Have you also considered that a lot of people ENJOY the back and forth and find it to be a fun aspect of talking and enjoying baseball? Like, if everyone agreed all the time, the forum would be pretty damn boring.

CP disagrees with me a reasonable amount of the time. But I love having back and forth with him. Even if we never end up agreeing. It's really fun. And he's a real smart dude. I learn things from conversations. I learn a lot from people who don't necessarily know the things about more advanced stats that I might know. And I think that is super fun.
    Last edited by Doogolas; 08-13-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    This is absolute BS. And there is NO WAY you believe this is true. Dude, 1908 used to go off on people. I'm an *******, but I used to be a MUCH bigger *******. Kirel used to post here all the time! And he was the crankiest dude alive!

Have you also considered that a lot of people ENJOY the back and forth and find it to be a fun aspect of talking and enjoying baseball? Like, if everyone agreed all the time, the forum would be pretty damn boring.

CP disagrees with me a reasonable amount of the time. But I love having back and forth with him. Even if we never end up agreeing. It's really fun. And he's a real smart dude. I learn things from conversations. I learn a lot from people who don't necessarily know the things about more advanced stats that I might know. And I think that is super fun.
    Thatís mutual. I agree with you much more often than I disagree, but itís more fun when we disagree.

I planned to add more about the Contreras thing, but I got tied up with something last night and then lost interest. I hope you are right though.

How would you answer the question I asked him?
    The most likely scenario is scenario 2, if you're talking a 162 game season, due to probability and the law of averages. My point is this is a 60 game season. Literally anyone can win the batting title or MVP or Cy Young. Castellanos became Albert Pujols at the plate when he came to us over a couple of months. Nobody is arguing to hand him the everyday 2B job, that would be stupid. My point is play the hot hand, play the people who are playing well if the other options aren't amazing. He's getting a fresh start with a new team he grew up rooting for, maybe the change of scenery has been good, or maybe he's just had a good few weeks.
    Last edited by Stratos; 08-13-2020 at 06:48 PM.

I really donít get how this is confusing to you.

I donít care about hot streaks. To me, if he wasnít the best option vs RHP a week ago, then he isnít now. If he was the best option a week ago, then he still is. Nothing changed for me. Itís great that heís played well, but I donít think heís better today than I thought he was 22 at bats ago.

You want to argue that he should get more at bats because heís playing well and also say that his future performance will be about what we always expected or worse. Those things donít add up. Hits he got last night donít lead to runs tonight. Itís one of the other. Either you think heís better than we expected and he should play more, or you donít think heís better than we expected moving forward and it wouldnít be smart to increase his role. To say heís not better than we expected but he should play more seems illogical.
    Do you think Mills should keep starting over Q when Q comes back if Mills is still pitching well? Do you think Kimbrel should be our closer? The same logic applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    The most likely scenario is scenario 2, if you're talking a 162 game season, due to probability and the law of averages. My point is this is a 60 game season. Literally anyone can win the batting title or MVP or Cy Young. Castellanos became Albert Pujols at the plate when he came to us. Nobody is arguing to hand him the everyday 2B job, that would be stupid. My point is play the hot hand, play the people who are playing well if the other options aren't amazing. He's getting a fresh start with a new team he grew up rooting for, maybe the change of scenery has been good, or maybe he's just had a good few weeks.
    Thanks for answering.

I donít think the short season impacts a players future performance projection. Yes, in a short season weíll get some wild outcomes. Anyone can overachieve for a long enough stretch to have good numbers at the end of the season. The issue here though is what we should expect from each player. In a 60 game season or a 162 game season or a 500 game season it always makes the most sense to play the players you expect to play best moving forward, not looking backwards. Even though this season will have more randomness than most years, I believe you still make decisions based on whatís most likely to happen.

Thatís why I asked the question. Does the ďhot handĒ outweigh what we should reasonably expect moving forward? I donít think so and Iíd rather not let him prove me right by getting more playing time and making a bunch of outs. So, if it were me, Iím not making decisions based on ďthe hot hand.Ē Iíd be super glad heís been awesome and Iíd keep him in the same role that was originally planned for him as a 2-3 day a week starter and hope he keeps it going but expect that he wonít.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Do you think Mills should keep starting over Q when Q comes back if Mills is still pitching well? Do you think Kimbrel should be our closer? The same logic applies.
    I donít think the same logic applies with Kimbrel. Thatís a whole other issue. Until Kimbrel can locate his breaking ball even a little bit heís not the same pitcher and heís basically 2 calendar years removed from dominant Kimbrel at this point. There shouldnít have been much optimism about Kimbrel coming into the year either. Itís not like this was a shock that heís struggled.

I think Q should start over Mills.
    Last edited by CP_414; 08-13-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast