Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    this team has the same issues it had the last few years to reliant on the long ball they do not make enough contact in the playoffs that will come back to haunt them..of course that could change if cole pitches 2 great games in each round...

cole looked like he would cruise to another win now he won't get the win.his stats before this inning looked nice but it was a struggle for cole 20 pitches a inning.. where is last year cole been hiding?

cole threw 107 pitches in less than 5 innings the most he has ever thrown..in his career for that distance..

Nice to see Choi starting. The Yankees were really stacked they just released him and brought up Ford and traded for Voit. Remember a few years ago we got zero production from first base ? We released Choi because we had Bird. Whatever happened to Bird ?

it looks like stanton injured his hammy what else is new...

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Good pitching beats good hitting more often than not.
    I am a bit concerned with Torres. Has the full time move to SS got in his head? I am not close to ready to throw in the towel. (Lindor is a luxury and I would love to have him)
    I agree about both posts. Where we may differ is, I don't think we have good hitting. Aside from DJ, there isn't a legit hitter. There are power hitters but that doesn't make them good hitters. They will put up great numbers against average pitchers but can't move a runner, sacrifice an out or find a way on base to keep the lineup moving. This team will not do well against good pitching because they all do the same thing. They hit HRs. So it's not like the teams that trust in the next guy to get on base because these guys only hit HRs, there is no trust in the next guy up when the pitching is better than average. When they are going well against middling pitchers, we will hear the "Oh we trust that any guy can get it done on any day" but when the pitching is good? We will here, "we didn't get it done. We had chances but couldn't get it done.

I totally agree about Torres. He's a young player and was anointed the next guy in line. He is not a SS. He doesn't have the range, the arm or instincts. He was a very good second baseman. He would be a good third baseman. I would even try him at 1rst.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Yes. You were wrong. Even if we'd been swept by the jays but won out the rest, we would have been in.
    So the Jays, while important were never the games that decided if we got into the playoffs or not.

Noice try on trying to change the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Way to change my words , I never said those games would decide if they made the playoffs or not , .
    Except

How they do vs Toronto will determine if they make the playoffs or not

And Stanton? Lol.
    I'm not laughing he's injured or at his pain. I am laughing g at the fact that it is so absurdly predictable and he's a waste of a roster space.

Yes. You were wrong. Even if we'd been swept by the jays but won out the rest, we would have been in.
    So the Jays, while important were never the games that decided if we got into the playoffs or not.

Way to change my words , I never said those games would decide if they made the playoffs or not , .
    Except

If a player that has the 12th highest OPS in baseball (2 slots ahead of Mike Trout with 4 less ABs) is a waste of a roster spot, then I’d really love to know who’s worthy

If Hal doesn’t spend money - “Hal is Cheap”
    If Hal spends money - “(insert player) gets hurt too much and/or cant handle NY”

There’s no denying that he’s gotten hurt. But a waste of a roster spot? Lol. Nah.

If we dont trade for Stanton in 2017/2018, we probably end up with Machado, or Harper in 2018/2019.

Well thats great, right?

No.

Machado took his money and stopped caring. Shocking, I know. Oh, and we probably wouldn’t have Gio either. And DJ for that matter since we had Gleyber and Didi.

And Gardner was arguably a better player in 2019 than Harper.

So if Hal was definitely going to spend/trade big on Stanton, Harper, or Machado, I’d take Stanton 100 times out of 100.

Let’s not forget that the injury rate has been much higher at the beginning of this season than it has in any other regular 162 game season. Coming in for Spring Training, getting 3 weeks of work in, getting shut down for almost 4 months (longer than a typical offseason for a playoff team), get 2 weeks of work in and jumping right into competitive games. So while its easy to jump on Stanton for being injury prone, I’m fairly certain that the circumstances at hand were more involved than Stanton just not caring about keeping his body in shape.
    Last edited by Hit DJ Hit; 08-08-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    it looks like stanton injured his hammy what else is new...
    I was more surprised it didn’t happen sooner.
    My Top 3 Rush Guitar solos

1. La Villa Strangiato
    2. Limelight
    3. Between the Wheels

I agree about both posts. Where we may differ is, I don't think we have good hitting. Aside from DJ, there isn't a legit hitter. There are power hitters but that doesn't make them good hitters. They will put up great numbers against average pitchers but can't move a runner, sacrifice an out or find a way on base to keep the lineup moving. This team will not do well against good pitching because they all do the same thing. They hit HRs. So it's not like the teams that trust in the next guy to get on base because these guys only hit HRs, there is no trust in the next guy up when the pitching is better than average. When they are going well against middling pitchers, we will hear the "Oh we trust that any guy can get it done on any day" but when the pitching is good? We will here, "we didn't get it done. We had chances but couldn't get it done.

I totally agree about Torres. He's a young player and was anointed the next guy in line. He is not a SS. He doesn't have the range, the arm or instincts. He was a very good second baseman. He would be a good third baseman. I would even try him at 1rst.
    Clown I would agree in the last two seasons what you claim was true. The addition of DJ and the maturing of Gio and Torres has added a new dimension. Yes they are still a home happy club in the middle of the order, but not nearly as reliant as suggested imo. They can manufacture runs. No one would confuse their offense as small ball, but they do have an added dimension now that was lacking in the past.

I think Torres will be just fine at SS. He has the arm, glove, quickness and range. Imo, Yanks don't let Didi walk if they didn't have the faith and confidence he could do the job. I do believe it's effecting him at the plate. Average D would be great, and Torres was average on the left side last year. It doesn't mean he's allowed to be a poor defender, either, but that doesn't seem to be the likely outcome, regardless of his early struggles. Let's not forget he's only 23 with nothing but upside. He works hard and takes his job seriously.

That said, if Yanks pursue Lindor and move Torres back to 2B they are infinitely better defensively but one must consider the cost? I am certain they would consider it, but not certain it's the most cost effective move imo. I think Torres will mature into a fine, well above average SS. Torres at short provides the Yankees with a legitimate right-handed bat with power in a premium position. It also allows DJ to play second base, which is his best position and where he won three Gold Gloves.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin
    “The greatest blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.” --- Seneca

Clown I would agree in the last two seasons what you claim was true. The addition of DJ and the maturing of Gio and Torres has added a new dimension. Yes they are still a home happy club in the middle of the order, but not nearly as reliant as suggested imo. They can manufacture runs. No one would confuse their offense as small ball, but they do have an added dimension now that was lacking in the past.

I think Torres will be just fine at SS. He has the arm, glove, quickness and range. Imo, Yanks don't let Didi walk if they didn't have the faith and confidence he could do the job. I do believe it's effecting him at the plate. Average D would be great, and Torres was average on the left side last year. It doesn't mean he's allowed to be a poor defender, either, but that doesn't seem to be the likely outcome, regardless of his early struggles. Let's not forget he's only 23 with nothing but upside. He works hard and takes his job seriously.

That said, if Yanks pursue Lindor and move Torres back to 2B they are infinitely better defensively but one must consider the cost? I am certain they would consider it, but not certain it's the most cost effective move imo. I think Torres will mature into a fine, well above average SS. Torres at short provides the Yankees with a legitimate right-handed bat with power in a premium position. It also allows DJ to play second base, which is his best position and where he won three Gold Gloves.
    Doc, the problem is the middle of the lineup is 5 guys in a row. Gio, Garnder Tauchman/Andujar..., they can all get a runner over and hit with intelligence and sacrifice. I don't see it in the others.
    Judge-Stanton-Hicks-Voit-Sanchez- Look, when they are on, they are on and it's impressive. That will likely be more of the time than not. But when they face good pitching, the middle of the order becomes a weakness because of their inability to keep bats alive and put the ball in play.

And that's a perfect lead-up!!
    That plays perfectly into my dream scenario. Move DJ to first (Or Torres). Bring in Lindor. Yes, he's a luxury but he and DJ at the top of the order dramatically change things.
    1-You get voit out of the lineup. If voit were one of the bangers? fine. I wouldn't mind him and it wouldn't 't be needed.
    2-You get more speed and contact ability and change the lineup

Now the other idea I would love is to get Rizzo here. That may be the better move. High power and high contact.
    And a gold glove 1rst.

I have felt this away about the lineup since last year.
    In no way am I celebrating Stanton's injury but hopefully, it gets Andujar some at bats. He could also change the lineup

Except

Quote Originally Posted by Hit DJ Hit View Post
    If a player that has the 12th highest OPS in baseball (2 slots ahead of Mike Trout with 4 less ABs) is a waste of a roster spot, then I’d really love to know who’s worthy

If Hal doesn’t spend money - “Hal is Cheap”
    If Hal spends money - “(insert player) gets hurt too much and/or cant handle NY”

There’s no denying that he’s gotten hurt. But a waste of a roster spot? Lol. Nah.

If we dont trade for Stanton in 2017/2018, we probably end up with Machado, or Harper in 2018/2019.

Well thats great, right?

No.

Machado took his money and stopped caring. Shocking, I know. Oh, and we probably wouldn’t have Gio either. And DJ for that matter since we had Gleyber and Didi.

And Gardner was arguably a better player in 2019 than Harper.

So if Hal was definitely going to spend/trade big on Stanton, Harper, or Machado, I’d take Stanton 100 times out of 100.

Let’s not forget that the injury rate has been much higher at the beginning of this season than it has in any other regular 162 game season. Coming in for Spring Training, getting 3 weeks of work in, getting shut down for almost 4 months (longer than a typical offseason for a playoff team), get 2 weeks of work in and jumping right into competitive games. So while its easy to jump on Stanton for being injury prone, I’m fairly certain that the circumstances at hand were more involved than Stanton just not caring about keeping his body in shape.
    Stanton is a waste of a roster space because he is redundant in this lineup. I think putting him in the same breath with Trout is a reach. Trout is a phenomenal 2 way player who is also a fantastic baserunner. I think he is light years from Stanton in regard to value.

You posted directly below me and included my comment, so I am not sure what was directed towards Mae and what wasn't.

I certainly never said any of the Boys were cheap. I didn't want any of the above mentioned players. I didn't want Machado or Harper and I have been against the Stanton trade since it happened.
    He is a righty DH who hits HRs and has a massive K rate. (Just like Judge, Voit, Sanchez and even Hicks, who's K rate has jumped alarmingly in the 18 and 19 seasons) I do believe strike outs matter because it isn't just about putting a ball in play, which I know new stats will say it doesn't matter but it's about making a pitcher throw a few extra pitches and work a bit harder by getting the bat on the ball and fouling off a couple tough pitches.

Even if Stanton was always healthy, I would rather a different type of hitter and player. Stanton was in great shape when he came in to the year. I don't blame him for the injury. He is just becoming injury prone.
    He was also off to a great start. Stanton can hit the cover off the ball. I think he's a bad fit for the lineup.
    Move Sanchez? Great. Move Judge? Ok. Find a 1rt baseman who can field and hit and lose Voit? Wonderful, then Stanton makes a bit more sense.

So let me ask you, is a guy who plays half a season, as the type of DH he is and in a lineup of very similar hitters, who can't run (yes I know he had decent speed but those days are gone) and who more often than not, gets owned by good pitching in important situations, worth a roster space?

Except

Stanton is a joke at this point. They should be able to void his contract for being so pathetic. They didn't even put this man in the OF. He never sprinted once on the base paths, he would jog every time on the bases. Yet, he still cannot go 3 weeks without pulling a hamstring. What professional athlete cannot jog without getting hurt? It is so sad. Going to be stuck with an absolute albatross of a contract.

Pax looks like a different pitcher. Hopefully this is who he is the rest of the way

Except

Pax looks like a different pitcher. Hopefully this is who he is the rest of the way
    who would have thought 15 games into the season james paxton would have the best start of the season for the yankees..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast