Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Top Draft Whiffs of All-Time

Of course everyone thinks immediately of Portland picking Bowie over Jordan but I think the Bagley over Luka thing is going to haunt Sacramento for ever also. Here are my top draft day disasters:

1. Portland
    Bowie over Jordan

2. Portland
    Oden over Durrant

3. Sacramento
    Bagley over Luka

1985 Draft

Mavs pick Detlef Schrempf at #8 over Karl Malone who went at #13.

Malone was from Louisiana and openly talked about wanting to play for the Mavs because they were the closest NBA team to his home and his mom.

Schrempf declines to play for the Mavs so they traded him for Herb Williams. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1996 NBA Draft

Mavs pick Samaki Walker at #9 and passed on .... Kobe Bryant at #13.

The Mavs draft history is pretty bad, especially during the 90ís. I could probably find a few more All Time greats that the Mavs passed on for someone that flamed out of the NBA within a couple of seasons.

Also canít forget the 2013 NBA Draft.

Mavs has been scouring a certain player for a couple of years and he was sitting there waiting to be drafted by Dallas. Instead Mark Cuban pulls an executive move to trade down and pick Shane Larkin in order to save $900K to give to Dwight Howard (who ended up choosing Houston anyways).

That player the Mavs passed on was Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post

Mavs has been scouring a certain player for a couple of years and he was sitting there waiting to be drafted by Dallas. Instead Mark Cuban pulls an executive move to trade down and pick Shane Larkin in order to save $900K to give to Dwight Howard (who ended up choosing Houston anyways).

I forgot about the Mavs bad decisions in many drafts. Great points.

2010 Miami takes Winslow over Booker. Man if we had Booker with this team I think weíd win it all, heís exactly what weíre missing.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2

Certainly 14 teams goofed like nothing before in the draft history after passing on Giannis and have left MIL to pick what has been the "best player in the world" the last couple of years at No15...

LOL... At least the Mavs picked his little bro at No.60 four seasons later!

For all that have missed it when it happened, this is a MUST SEE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZu9Y_4SCks

Quote Originally Posted by mouseslept View Post
    Certainly 14 teams goofed like nothing before in the draft history after passing on Giannis and have left MIL to pick what has been the "best player in the world" the last couple of years at No15...

Canít wait to see him in a Heat jersey.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Canít wait to see him in a Heat jersey.
    I remember a friend asking me back in 13 just before the draft:

-"why do you think this kid is so special and you rave so much about him"?

My reply was a counter question which came out without even thinking and turned him into one of the most fanatic Giannis supporters...

-"When did you last see a basketball player breaking in the open court with his jersey stack on the chest and rippling on his back like a flag?" I replied!

He just looked back at me with his eyes wide open thinking of it!

Quote Originally Posted by mouseslept View Post

Yea a lot of teams did pass on him however none of those were scouting him as heavily as the Mavs were. Donnie Nelson even told him that if he was there when their pick came up he would be their guy. Cuban has a hard on for Howard though and basically told the whole Mavs scouting department (including Donnie) to go **** themselves. Everything had fallen into place perfectly for Donnie to get his guy. Instead we got Shane Freaking Larkin.

1996 NBA Draft

Mavs pick Samaki Walker at #9 and passed on .... Kobe Bryant at #13.

The Mavs draft history is pretty bad, especially during the 90ís. I could probably find a few more All Time greats that the Mavs passed on for someone that flamed out of the NBA within a couple of seasons.
    Kobe fell to where he did because he refused to play for any team not the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Kobe fell to where he did because he refused to play for any team not the Lakers.
    I understand that but Samaki Walker? Or how I used to refer to him Suckmaki Walker. Keep in mind they also passed on Peja, Nash, J. OíNeal and Ilgauskas. Walker gave hot garbage a bad name.

Darko Milicic

I imagine I'd hate it a lot more if we didn't win a title that same year but that doesn't change the fact that he wa s a big whiff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast