Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    He was an even bigger idiot than Plesac.

I love Fernando Tatis Jr. He’s easily one of my favorite players in the game. Nobody is a GOAT 100 games in on a career at age 21.

He’s probably not a SS in 10 years, so it’s pretty unlikely that he’ll be the greatest SS of all time. He is a great and fun player that we should appreciate.

4. 08-10-2020, 08:40 PM
    Reason
    Insulting another poster/baiting.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    What did I exaggerate? Your words were "glorified leadoff hitter" and "not a 3 hitter". I haven't exaggerated anything. You said that Castellanos was maybe better than JD Martinez and that "we shouldn't be surprised he's leading the league" in offense. I'm in no way exaggerating. These are your words, my friend. This is how every conversation you start has been going lately. It isn't "Man, Castellanos has had a really nice start. Now, I know he's probably not the best hitter in the league, but perhaps his hot streak at the end of last year, coupled with playing in Great American Ballpark will inflate his offensive numbers more than we thought!" Which would have been a perfectly normal post. Instead it was immediately to being better than JD Martinez. Boom. It's why hot-takes are ridiculous. Slow down.

Not to mention, you haven't turned out to be right about anything. We're a handful of games into the Cubs season. If we're using 12 or so game sample sizes, again, Daniel Descalso had a .350 wOBA last year in 12 games. That would be have been the 9th best 2b in offense in 2019. We know just how horrible of a take it would have been to say, in the 2nd week of April "I knew Daniel Descalso was going to be better than Whit Merrifield this year and I proved all you Merrifield fanboys right". Hot takes are silly.

Baez should not be a measuring stick. Baez was a disaster when he came up and the Cubs organization had to basically fix his batting stance ground up and his approach changed drastically. Guys simply don't do what Baez did. But I'm also not sure where this "SS's are notorious for developing slowly" thing comes from. Look at the top SS's in the league. Story, Lindor, Bogearts, DeJong, Torres, Seager, Turner...they were not slow starters. Out of your top SS's in the league right now, Semian, and Baez are basically your two "slow" starters.

Again, Tatis has had an awesome 100. But, pumping the breaks is always the better option than spewing hot takes left and right. Sure, maybe you can't claim to be "the first" or whatever, but you'll also avoid all of the hot takes that drop out of your mouth that make you look ridiculous. Well thought out, researched, and patient claims will always trump hot take random claims.
    I wasn’t right about anything really? I predicted that Kimbrel would be a bum and waste of money. I predicted Castellanos to be as good this year as he was last year. I predicted that Moncada would be way better than Bryant. I don’t need to keep going on and on. I’d rather be occasionally right and plenty wrong than never having an opinion other then telling people how stupid/wrong/emotional they are. But who knows, some people enjoy **** like that. Anyway, calling him a glorified lead off hitter isn’t calling him “the worst hitter in the world”. Surprising that has to be explained. The Red Sox got Verdigo for Betts I promise you the Cubs will get nothing but trash for KB if they ever do wise up and trade him and you can quote me on that next year (and AGAIN, because you like the Ad Hominems,
    that doesn’t mean I think he’s “the worst hitter ever”)
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 08-10-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    I wasn’t right about anything really? I predicted that Kimbrel would be a bum and waste of money. I predicted Castellanos to be as good this year as he was last year. I predicted that Moncada would be way better than Bryant. I don’t need to keep going on and on. I’d rather be occasionally right and plenty wrong than never having an opinion other then telling people how stupid/wrong/emotional they are. But who knows, some people enjoy **** like that. Anyway, calling him a glorified lead off hitter isn’t calling him “the worst hitter in the world”. Surprising that has to be explained
    Well, thanks for the thinly veiled shot at me. I never once have called you stupid. Not once. I even just got done saying you weren't inferior, but keep playing the hapless victim card. You gain no sympathy from me. If you want to play the hot-take card, you dont get to play the sympathy card when people call you out on the numbers things that you ramble off about.

You claimed "Castellanos would be as good as he was last year"? No one disagreed that Castellanos would be as good in 2020 as he was in 2019. He was a 2.8 fWAR player last year, a 3.0 fWAR the year prior, and 4 years ago a 2.4 fWAR player. That's not a special bar. Claiming "Castellanos would be as good as he was last year" was saying nothing. Big deal. Now, if you try the "what I meant to say was..." and then shift the goal posts to "with the Cubs" (which you didn't say in this post), then we're 15 games in and, boy, what a hot take we're going with. Yet gain, do we need to remind ourselves which players are having good seasons? Donovan Solano has the 3rd best wRC+ in baseball right now. So, let's just walk back that one, for the love of reasonability.

You predicted "Moncada would be better than Bryant"? He was barely better than Bryant last year (4.8 fWAR to 5.7 fWAR). And Bryant still has nearly 20 fWAR on him in his career. In what way is "Moncada better than Bryant"? Because one year? Or are we're back on the "15 games hot take" train? If we are, just don't bother responding.

On the "Predicted Kimbrel to be a bum" thing, there's no visible proof I can find of it. I've run a quick search of the forum, and the first time you mentioned the name "Kimblel" in a single post on here was in mid-August during a Pirates game in which you said you thought he was going to give up a run in every appearance. This, however, is not a "prediction", as it doesn't suggest what he'll continue to be, nor, was it, you know, predictive, in that he was signed over 2 months prior. He was already bad with the Cubs. You can't watch someone drop something on the ground and go "Yeah, I always knew it". But you mentioned nothing in the June 5th game thread, nor anything in the Kimbrel signing thread, nor anything in the next game thread on your feelings that Kimbrel was going to be a bust. So honestly, it just kind of sounds like you're just...claiming a victory here. There's no paper trail. Now, maybe there's a post I can't find easily hiding in there where you didn't say Kimbrel explicitly and said he'd be a bum, but it sounds more like, you want to claim victory on something...that you never actually said. And don't give me the "I told my buddy" or the "I thought the entire time" arguments because why should anyone believe that? We can play that game all day long. That's no different than that guy we all knew who sits there on his couch eating chips saying "Yeah, I had an idea for an electric car myself, I just didn't get around to it. But I was thinking it the whole time". Riiiiiiiight.

So feel free to sit on your high horse like you've somehow successfully predicted something, but one of the three has no visible proof I can find, and the other two are either ridiculous, or using a 15 game sample size like they mean something, neither of which is an actual victory. If you're so desperate for recognition that we're going to pound and beat our chests over some 15 game sample size, then so be it. But again, it's no different than beating your chest any year, and picking any random player having a strong 15 games and acting like you're right. Guys like Solano and Renato Nunez are killing the ball right now, Christian Yelich is one of the worst position players in baseball, and 29 guys have had better 15 days than Mike Trout, who literally is a generational talent and might throw himself into a GOAT type conversation depending on his longevity. Every year weird things happen in 15 games, and then over the course, they even out. I wouldn't count my chickens yet.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 08-10-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I love Fernando Tatis Jr. He’s easily one of my favorite players in the game. Nobody is a GOAT 100 games in on a career at age 21.

He’s probably not a SS in 10 years, so it’s pretty unlikely that he’ll be the greatest SS of all time. He is a great and fun player that we should appreciate.
    The actual sad part is that his fall from grace is going to be as dumb as Cubs' fans views on KB. Because at some point his BABIP will normalize (it'll still be high) and his HR/FB rate will reach really high but not Barry Bonds-esque levels, and fans will somehow be disappointed in ONLY having an unbelievable player.

8/5 & 8/6: Cubs (9-2) at Royals (3-9) IGT

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    The actual sad part is that his fall from grace is going to be as dumb as Cubs' fans views on KB. Because at some point his BABIP will normalize (it'll still be high) and his HR/FB rate will reach really high but not Barry Bonds-esque levels, and fans will somehow be disappointed in ONLY having an unbelievable player.
    Yes, the BABIP will come down somewhat and the HR/FB rate will also drop. I do think over time the K rate will drop, too. It won’t be enough to offset the other things, but it’ll help.

He’s probably more of a 5-6 win player annually than a 8-10 win player, but he’s great regardless. The people who think he’s better than Trout will probably be disappointed. But they shouldn’t be of course.
    Last edited by CP_414; 08-10-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Yes, the BABIP will come down somewhat and the HR/FB rate will also drop. I do think over time the K rate will drop, too. It won’t be enough to offset the other things, but it’ll help.

He’s probably more of a 5-6 win player annually than a 8-10 win player, but he’s great regardless. The people who think he’s better than Trout will probably be disappointed. But they shouldn’t be of course.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I mean. It just sucks that people are going to (I think) respond poorly to the fact that he's not the GOAT. Because he's such an outrageously fun player.

For sure. I think there's a good chance, with good health, Tatis ends up in the HoF. He's a great player. But you're right, he's a 5-6 guy, and not an 8-10 guy. Which shouldn't disappoint anyone. But it will. It always does.

I think Tatis wins MVP this year. Bet the White Sox feel so bad trading him for Shields. Their lineup would be so insane with Robert, Eloy, Madrigal and Moncada with Tatis.

For sure. I think there's a good chance, with good health, Tatis ends up in the HoF. He's a great player. But you're right, he's a 5-6 guy, and not an 8-10 guy. Which shouldn't disappoint anyone. But it will. It always does.
    I think they are talking about at KB.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I think they are talking about at KB.
    They werent. Clearly about Tatis if they're talking K% and BABIP. No one was really having an in depth discussion on Bryant.

Not to mention CP stated "I love Tatis..." which started that chain of conversation. It was over Tatis.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

They werent. Clearly about Tatis if they're talking K% and BABIP. No one was really having an in depth discussion on Bryant.

Not to mention CP stated "I love Tatis..." which started that chain of conversation. It was over Tatis.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Considering they were talking about people being upset if he wasn’t Trout, me thinks you might be mistaken on this one.

I could be wrong I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Considering they were talking about people being upset if he wasn’t Trout, me thinks you might be mistaken on this one.

I could be wrong I guess.
    Kris Bryant was only mentioned as a comparable to Tatis in that people are disappointed in Bryant simply because he isn't Trout, and that Tatis may go that way down the road in 2-4 years. Why would they be talking about BABIP with Kris Bryant? Or a HR/FB% with Bryant? Neither are issues with Bryant. Nor have they ever been. Especially considering the BABIP issue with Tatis has been brought up multiple times in this thread, and is a major issue with Tatis. As is HR/FB%.

It's clear as day that was a conversation about Tatis.

Kris Bryant was only mentioned as a comparable to Tatis in that people are disappointed in Bryant simply because he isn't Trout, and that Tatis may go that way down the road in 2-4 years. Why would they be talking about BABIP with Kris Bryant? Or a HR/FB% with Bryant? Neither are issues with Bryant. Nor have they ever been. Especially considering the BABIP issue with Tatis has been brought up multiple times in this thread, and is a major issue with Tatis. As is HR/FB%.

It's clear as day that was a conversation about Tatis.
    Gotcha, I think I misread an earlier post.

Carry on.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast