Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 332
  1. #271
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    24,012
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    My Birthday weekend and no Cubs and no preseason Bears game [emoji852]
    Oof. Well, happy birthday!

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  2. #272
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,641
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    My understanding, and I could be wrong since it seemed like everything changed a bunch of times in different CBA talks this summer, is that it isn’t prorated. The tax is still 208 but they use the normal full salaries of the players to calculate it. So Heyward still counts as $20+ and KB counts at his full number, etc even though they aren’t actually getting all that money.
    Cot's has the Cubs 2020 salary at 67,573,889 before the non prorated benefits of 15 mil. That's 37% of their projected base salary. I can only assume that the cap number this season is also 37%, which would be 76.96 mil, which includes all benefits.

    It appears that the Cubs are over the number by 4,358,168 on opening day. Losing Q's 4.2 mil as of opening day would still need a little more. The longer they hold on to his salary, the harder it's going to be to get under. If they don't get under this season, they will certainly get under next season. Even if they do get under this season, because they are so poor, I wouldn't count on them going over next season anyway.

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,955
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Cot's has the Cubs 2020 salary at 67,573,889 before the non prorated benefits of 15 mil. That's 37% of their projected base salary. I can only assume that the cap number this season is also 37%, which would be 76.96 mil, which includes all benefits.

    It appears that the Cubs are over the number by 4,358,168 on opening day. Losing Q's 4.2 mil as of opening day would still need a little more. The longer they hold on to his salary, the harder it's going to be to get under. If they don't get under this season, they will certainly get under next season. Even if they do get under this season, because they are so poor, I wouldn't count on them going over next season anyway.
    Using the fulls numbers, Cots has them over 215 and Sportac has them over 219. The CBT was 208. Q makes 10.5 over a full season, so roughly 1.75 per month for a 6 month season. Moving him with a month to go doesn’t really move the needle on the tax.

    I agree that it doesn’t matter though. No way they go over the tax next year either way.

  4. #274
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,626
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Oof. Well, happy birthday!
    Thank you

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    24,012

    8/5 & 8/6: Cubs (9-2) at Royals (3-9) IGT

    Last edited by CubsRule08; 08-07-2020 at 08:39 PM.

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  6. #276
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    24,012

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  7. #277
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,641
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Using the fulls numbers, Cots has them over 215 and Sportac has them over 219. The CBT was 208. Q makes 10.5 over a full season, so roughly 1.75 per month for a 6 month season. Moving him with a month to go doesn’t really move the needle on the tax.

    I agree that it doesn’t matter though. No way they go over the tax next year either way.
    If they traded him today, which they're not, they would save about 3.2 mil. They'd still need to move more money to get under.

    I can only think of one guy in addition to Q that we could trade, and would want to trade in order to get under. And that's Chatwood. Kimbrell would do it, but he's not movable.

    It feels like they're not going to be spenders for a couple of years. At the very least.
    Last edited by thawv; 08-08-2020 at 08:25 AM.

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,626
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    If they traded him today, which they're not, they would save about 3.2 mil. They'd still need to move more money to get under.

    I can only think of one guy in addition to Q that we could trade, and would want to trade in order to get under. And that's Chatwood. Kimbrell would do it, but he's not movable.

    It feels like they're not going to be spenders for a couple of years. At the very least.
    I wouldn't ink that they wont be spenders this offseason ..
    Outside of Heyward and Darvish the next couple years , they're not contracted to anyone for significant amount of money..

    Theyll spend, just a matter of on who as far as extension, Arbs and FAs

    Payroll is at 85 mil 2021 (threshold 210), then drops to 58 next 2 years

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    24,012

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  10. #280
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,955
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Cubs and pirates should play Monday. STL can’t make up all these games.

  11. #281
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,955

    8/5 & 8/6: Cubs (9-2) at Royals (3-9) IGT

    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I wouldn't ink that they wont be spenders this offseason ..
    Outside of Heyward and Darvish the next couple years , they're not contracted to anyone for significant amount of money..

    Theyll spend, just a matter of on who as far as extension, Arbs and FAs

    Payroll is at 85 mil 2021 (threshold 210), then drops to 58 next 2 years
    Darvish, Heyward, Hendricks, Kimbrel, Bote, Lesters buyout is $84 million for 5 players. Rizzo’s option is 16.5 to bring it over $100 mil for 6 players.

    Then the arb guys: 20-25 for KB, 15-20 for Javy, about 10-12 for Schwarber, 8-10 for Contreras, Happ hits arb for the first time so maybe 2-4 for him. Roughly 60-70 mil for this group puts them around $160-170 for 11 players. I wouldn’t expect much spending this offseason.

    After 2021 Bryant, Javy, Rizzo, Schwarber, Kimbrel hit FA, all of Lesters money is off the books. They’ll spend then, but they’ll have to because the roster will be a disaster if key guys aren’t extended.
    Last edited by CP_414; 08-08-2020 at 04:40 PM.

  12. #282
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,626
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Darvish, Heyward, Hendricks, Kimbrel, Bote, Lesters buyout is $84 million for 5 players. Rizzo’s option is 16.5 to bring it over $100 mil for 6 players.

    Then the arb guys: 20-25 for KB, 15-20 for Javy, about 10-12 for Schwarber, 8-10 for Contreras, Happ hits arb for the first time so maybe 2-4 for him. Roughly 60-70 mil for this group puts them around $160-170 for 11 players. I wouldn’t expect much spending this offseason.

    After 2021 Bryant, Javy, Rizzo, Schwarber, Kimbrel hit FA, all of Lesters money is off the books. They’ll spend then, but they’ll have to because the roster will be a disaster if key guys aren’t extended.
    Like I said it depends on who they want to spend it on..

    Maybe they dont pick up Lester option, maybe they trade an Arb players...
    Just depends on the direction they go this offseason..

    I was listening on radio yesterday and I forget who it was on ESPN, but they said in a conversation with Rizzo about how they're focused and playing this season, Rizzo had mentioned how art of it is that they're playing as if this could be the last go around with this group and they want to end it on top.


    Why I'm saying, as is, yes if they stay the same then no, they won't have much to spend if they just bring everyone back
    But
    If they decide not to pick up options, make a couple trades, etc. then they open up some payroll

  13. #283
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,955

    8/5 & 8/6: Cubs (9-2) at Royals (3-9) IGT

    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Like I said it depends on who they want to spend it on..

    Maybe they dont pick up Lester option, maybe they trade an Arb players...
    Just depends on the direction they go this offseason..

    I was listening on radio yesterday and I forget who it was on ESPN, but they said in a conversation with Rizzo about how they're focused and playing this season, Rizzo had mentioned how art of it is that they're playing as if this could be the last go around with this group and they want to end it on top.


    Why I'm saying, as is, yes if they stay the same then no, they won't have much to spend if they just bring everyone back
    But
    If they decide not to pick up options, make a couple trades, etc. then they open up some payroll
    The numbers I shared included not picking up Lesters option. I highly doubt they pick it up, but if so add another $15 mil to the total commitment.

    I think it’s a pretty safe bet that the payroll is going down next year.

  14. #284
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    87,469
    Nick C having a pretty hot start. Would have loved a full(60 game) season of him in Chicago.

  15. #285
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,626
    So are the cubs gonna luck out and have the 3 postponed games played as DHers in Chicago since they dont go back to SL.
    Cardinals would just be the home team for 3 games

    Aug 17 18 19
    They have off day on 20th
    They can do DH on 17th and 19th

    Sep 4 5 6
    Do the 3rd makeup on 1 of these days
    Last edited by chibears55; 08-08-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •