Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    My Birthday weekend and no Cubs and no preseason Bears game [emoji852]
    Oof. Well, happy birthday!

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    My understanding, and I could be wrong since it seemed like everything changed a bunch of times in different CBA talks this summer, is that it isn’t prorated. The tax is still 208 but they use the normal full salaries of the players to calculate it. So Heyward still counts as $20+ and KB counts at his full number, etc even though they aren’t actually getting all that money.
    Cot's has the Cubs 2020 salary at 67,573,889 before the non prorated benefits of 15 mil. That's 37% of their projected base salary. I can only assume that the cap number this season is also 37%, which would be 76.96 mil, which includes all benefits.

It appears that the Cubs are over the number by 4,358,168 on opening day. Losing Q's 4.2 mil as of opening day would still need a little more. The longer they hold on to his salary, the harder it's going to be to get under. If they don't get under this season, they will certainly get under next season. Even if they do get under this season, because they are so poor, I wouldn't count on them going over next season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Cot's has the Cubs 2020 salary at 67,573,889 before the non prorated benefits of 15 mil. That's 37% of their projected base salary. I can only assume that the cap number this season is also 37%, which would be 76.96 mil, which includes all benefits.

It appears that the Cubs are over the number by 4,358,168 on opening day. Losing Q's 4.2 mil as of opening day would still need a little more. The longer they hold on to his salary, the harder it's going to be to get under. If they don't get under this season, they will certainly get under next season. Even if they do get under this season, because they are so poor, I wouldn't count on them going over next season anyway.
    Using the fulls numbers, Cots has them over 215 and Sportac has them over 219. The CBT was 208. Q makes 10.5 over a full season, so roughly 1.75 per month for a 6 month season. Moving him with a month to go doesn’t really move the needle on the tax.

I agree that it doesn’t matter though. No way they go over the tax next year either way.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Oof. Well, happy birthday!
    Thank you

8/5 & 8/6: Cubs (9-2) at Royals (3-9) IGT

Last edited by CubsRule08; 08-07-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Using the fulls numbers, Cots has them over 215 and Sportac has them over 219. The CBT was 208. Q makes 10.5 over a full season, so roughly 1.75 per month for a 6 month season. Moving him with a month to go doesn’t really move the needle on the tax.

I agree that it doesn’t matter though. No way they go over the tax next year either way.
    If they traded him today, which they're not, they would save about 3.2 mil. They'd still need to move more money to get under.

I can only think of one guy in addition to Q that we could trade, and would want to trade in order to get under. And that's Chatwood. Kimbrell would do it, but he's not movable.

It feels like they're not going to be spenders for a couple of years. At the very least.
    Last edited by thawv; 08-08-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    If they traded him today, which they're not, they would save about 3.2 mil. They'd still need to move more money to get under.

I can only think of one guy in addition to Q that we could trade, and would want to trade in order to get under. And that's Chatwood. Kimbrell would do it, but he's not movable.

It feels like they're not going to be spenders for a couple of years. At the very least.
    I wouldn't ink that they wont be spenders this offseason ..
    Outside of Heyward and Darvish the next couple years , they're not contracted to anyone for significant amount of money..

Theyll spend, just a matter of on who as far as extension, Arbs and FAs

Payroll is at 85 mil 2021 (threshold 210), then drops to 58 next 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Cubs and pirates should play Monday. STL can’t make up all these games.

I wouldn't ink that they wont be spenders this offseason ..
    Outside of Heyward and Darvish the next couple years , they're not contracted to anyone for significant amount of money..

Theyll spend, just a matter of on who as far as extension, Arbs and FAs

Payroll is at 85 mil 2021 (threshold 210), then drops to 58 next 2 years
    Darvish, Heyward, Hendricks, Kimbrel, Bote, Lesters buyout is $84 million for 5 players. Rizzo’s option is 16.5 to bring it over $100 mil for 6 players.

Then the arb guys: 20-25 for KB, 15-20 for Javy, about 10-12 for Schwarber, 8-10 for Contreras, Happ hits arb for the first time so maybe 2-4 for him. Roughly 60-70 mil for this group puts them around $160-170 for 11 players. I wouldn’t expect much spending this offseason.

After 2021 Bryant, Javy, Rizzo, Schwarber, Kimbrel hit FA, all of Lesters money is off the books. They’ll spend then, but they’ll have to because the roster will be a disaster if key guys aren’t extended.
    Last edited by CP_414; 08-08-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Darvish, Heyward, Hendricks, Kimbrel, Bote, Lesters buyout is $84 million for 5 players. Rizzo’s option is 16.5 to bring it over $100 mil for 6 players.

Then the arb guys: 20-25 for KB, 15-20 for Javy, about 10-12 for Schwarber, 8-10 for Contreras, Happ hits arb for the first time so maybe 2-4 for him. Roughly 60-70 mil for this group puts them around $160-170 for 11 players. I wouldn’t expect much spending this offseason.

After 2021 Bryant, Javy, Rizzo, Schwarber, Kimbrel hit FA, all of Lesters money is off the books. They’ll spend then, but they’ll have to because the roster will be a disaster if key guys aren’t extended.
    Like I said it depends on who they want to spend it on..

Maybe they dont pick up Lester option, maybe they trade an Arb players...
    Just depends on the direction they go this offseason..

I was listening on radio yesterday and I forget who it was on ESPN, but they said in a conversation with Rizzo about how they're focused and playing this season, Rizzo had mentioned how art of it is that they're playing as if this could be the last go around with this group and they want to end it on top.

Why I'm saying, as is, yes if they stay the same then no, they won't have much to spend if they just bring everyone back
    But
    If they decide not to pick up options, make a couple trades, etc. then they open up some payroll

Like I said it depends on who they want to spend it on..

Maybe they dont pick up Lester option, maybe they trade an Arb players...
    Just depends on the direction they go this offseason..

I was listening on radio yesterday and I forget who it was on ESPN, but they said in a conversation with Rizzo about how they're focused and playing this season, Rizzo had mentioned how art of it is that they're playing as if this could be the last go around with this group and they want to end it on top.

Why I'm saying, as is, yes if they stay the same then no, they won't have much to spend if they just bring everyone back
    But
    If they decide not to pick up options, make a couple trades, etc. then they open up some payroll
    The numbers I shared included not picking up Lesters option. I highly doubt they pick it up, but if so add another $15 mil to the total commitment.

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that the payroll is going down next year.

Nick C having a pretty hot start. Would have loved a full(60 game) season of him in Chicago.

So are the cubs gonna luck out and have the 3 postponed games played as DHers in Chicago since they dont go back to SL.
    Cardinals would just be the home team for 3 games

Aug 17 18 19
    They have off day on 20th
    They can do DH on 17th and 19th

Sep 4 5 6
    Do the 3rd makeup on 1 of these days
    Last edited by chibears55; 08-08-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast