Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Covid-19, corona virus, the rona check in

Hey guys I wanted to check in and see how everyone is holding up. I know this might be hot button for some but nonetheless I thought I'd ask what you guys really thought of all this sh!+.

Some states shut down like us here in California, others did nothing. I'd appreciate some thoughts on the whole thing. Is it politically motivated? Is it simple science? do you personally know someone who has it... and when I say that I mean the whole ventilator thing. Are thing really bad in your area?

Personally here in Cali, I know of no one who has it. None of my friends know anyone who has had it. Our governor shut down restaurants and bars for the second time and it sucks. Schools may be 100% distance learning this fall. Nothing is open to do for fun. It sucks hard. You guys know we have 4 kids in our household and staying at home is rough for them. Everything kid related was or is closed. At it's peak I heard these crazy numbers that 200k were going to die in a two week span, then nothing happened.

Now I'm hearing/reading that it's nothing more than a common cold? If you have lung issues or upper respiratory issues, elderly or live with elderly... stay home, you get a pass. But if the demographics say you can work, then why not let us work? They literally shut down the real estate market for a few weeks because of it. It feels like fear mongering.

I haver some friends from NY (though they haven't been there in years) saying they has refrigerated trucks storing bodies of the deceased because the morgues are so packed. I honestly don't know what to believe.

Some friends say follow the money, others say it's a deliberate attempt to kill Trumps re-election. I have zero clue. We can't go to church but Home Depot, and Walmart are okay?

I don't get it.
    I apologize in advance if any of you are offended by this or if you have lost ones as a result of covid. I'm bored and figured I'd get the two cents of those guys who I trust more than the media.
    Last edited by Lionsfanfromsac; 07-30-2020 at 11:04 PM.
    ^^ ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

funny you mention NY because my friend from NY is visiting right now.

(funny probably isn't the best word, she can confirm there were U-Hauls of bodies in the city )

she also took part in cheering the workers from hospitals as they left their shifts, and of course documented the cheering on social media, I guess that's just what we do now

I'm in Chicago and it's been pretty tough as the wife and I have a pretty small 2 bedroom apartment. Early on they closed the lakefront trail as the moment it got a little bit nice out everyone flocked there to bask in it. Lightfoot quickly shut that down resulting in people making cut outs of her to place in windows or other odd places, pretty funny. We go on multiple walks a day just to get some fresh air. I have also started getting back into the gym which has been fine as capacity is limited to 10.

I don't discredit the severity of the disease. People are dieing and it seemed early on that we didn't have the infrastructure to handle all of the sick; the beds, ventilators, PPE, etc. hence the state wide shelter in place to, as we saw in the media, "flatten the curve". However, now that the curve has flattened and people are trying to get back to normal, we are seeing in my opinion the dramatic effects of a two-party system. Do we wear masks? Should we not wear masks? I have to wear shoes when I go into a store but since Trump tells me masks are ridiculous I am not going to. What about taking hydroxychloroquine through the anus? Some doctors say this, some doctors say that. Are we going to require taking the vaccine when it comes out? Then, if you stop focusing on the recovery plan and really think about some issues going on nationally you realize how ****ing terrible the United States of America is. This facade that America is #1 is an utter joke and the quicker people realize that the quicker we can actually fix all of the issues.

1) Essential employees were and are making less than if they were able to go on unemployment with the CAREs act being in place. The individuals we ask to put their lives on the line so we could get our Taco Bell, go grocery shopping, etc. Oh, and Marijuana shops were deemed essential but yet we have people in prison for possession charges...

2) The fact that the US holds about 4% of the world population but holds about 22% of the world prison population is utter madness. Check out 13 on Netflix if you haven't already. For profit prison systems have no business being a thing. What the ****?!

3) The fact that we couldn't handle a health pandemic because we didn't have the resources but yet we have city police armed to the gills with military grade equipment ready at the will to 'protect' it's citizens is jacked. If that doesn't show you what the government is really concerned about than I don't know what will.

4) Education. Wow, took parents a pandemic and the responsibility to teach at home on a daily basis to realize how valuable teachers are. To think, most if not all teachers have to buy their own resources and are paid a **** wage.

Oh! Check out the Pitchfork Economics episode called, "How the radical right weaponized ideology (with Nancy MacLean).

Anyways, clearly you can probably assume where I fall in terms of politics but am open to having a productive conversation with any!
    Last edited by tigers.6; 07-31-2020 at 03:49 AM.

I have been going to work the entire time this whole pandemic has been going on. Living in Myrtle Beach the wife and i live in a small 2 bedroom apartment. South Carolina's governor is a complete moron and open our state back up to early since the town I live in is mainly a tourist attraction. His reasoning was so money driven its not even funny. So when Myrtle Beach started becoming a hot spot for the virus our governor decided to stop selling alcohol in bars at 11pm which is so stupid because i can buy a bucket of beer at 10:55pm and still drink past 11. Now he is opening everything else back up movie theaters, Concert venues etc. The county i live in and several cities in the county have put a mandatory mask law in effect until at least September. Another thing the wife I did was go visit her parents every Sunday just to get out of the house for little bit. We went and visited my brother in law in Maryland July 4th weekend and were required to wear mask when we enter a restaurant or retail store. Now as far as restaurant goes we could take off mask when we were at our table but if you had to use the bathroom had to put your mask back on. Of course once we got back from the short vacation a pick our dog back up from boarding place he wasn't acting like his normal self. So we took him to our vet the next weekend and had some blood and urine samples tested. We got the results back on July 13th and he was diagnosed with kidney failure. He was a 16 year old chihuahua/terrier mix. So July 18th my wife and I had to make a tough decision but we think we made the right decision and put him down. Life hasn't been the same. For us he was our baby since we were unable to have kids. Don't care what people think pets are family too.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions FIRE EVERYONE!!!
    Detroit Tigers
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Quote Originally Posted by vader817 View Post
    I have been going to work the entire time this whole pandemic has been going on. Living in Myrtle Beach the wife and i live in a small 2 bedroom apartment. South Carolina's governor is a complete moron and open our state back up to early since the town I live in is mainly a tourist attraction. His reasoning was so money driven its not even funny. So when Myrtle Beach started becoming a hot spot for the virus our governor decided to stop selling alcohol in bars at 11pm which is so stupid because i can buy a bucket of beer at 10:55pm and still drink past 11. Now he is opening everything else back up movie theaters, Concert venues etc. The county i live in and several cities in the county have put a mandatory mask law in effect until at least September. Another thing the wife I did was go visit her parents every Sunday just to get out of the house for little bit. We went and visited my brother in law in Maryland July 4th weekend and were required to wear mask when we enter a restaurant or retail store. Now as far as restaurant goes we could take off mask when we were at our table but if you had to use the bathroom had to put your mask back on. Of course once we got back from the short vacation a pick our dog back up from boarding place he wasn't acting like his normal self. So we took him to our vet the next weekend and had some blood and urine samples tested. We got the results back on July 13th and he was diagnosed with kidney failure. He was a 16 year old chihuahua/terrier mix. So July 18th my wife and I had to make a tough decision but we think we made the right decision and put him down. Life hasn't been the same. For us he was our baby since we were unable to have kids. Don't care what people think pets are family too.
    That's terrible to hear! We have 2 cats that are both 18 years old and one of them seems to have a good bill of health but the other one has her health issues. Similar to your dog she is in like stage 3 kidney failure but I guess it's quite common in cats and they are able to live with it. However, we have to get her fluids every other day as well as a few other types of pills. This cat, along with my wife's family dog back home who is about 15 are on their last legs. Got a call a couple of days ago from her mom saying they might put him down but I guess he's turned it around a little bit. Hasn't been easy for us, particularly her.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    That's terrible to hear! We have 2 cats that are both 18 years old and one of them seems to have a good bill of health but the other one has her health issues. Similar to your dog she is in like stage 3 kidney failure but I guess it's quite common in cats and they are able to live with it. However, we have to get her fluids every other day as well as a few other types of pills. This cat, along with my wife's family dog back home who is about 15 are on their last legs. Got a call a couple of days ago from her mom saying they might put him down but I guess he's turned it around a little bit. Hasn't been easy for us, particularly her.
    Sorry to hear that as well. My wife and I kept beating ourselves up after we put him down whether we made the right decision.

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Tigers

16 years old for a Chihuahua is pretty old, yea? I know it was a difficult decision but I am sure you and your wife did what you thought was best. Comes down to the quality of life the pet is living. Something we are constantly talking about now with our oldest cat.

Just gotta think about all of the good times spent with them!

I'm in Chicago and it's been pretty tough as the wife and I have a pretty small 2 bedroom apartment. Early on they closed the lakefront trail as the moment it got a little bit nice out everyone flocked there to bask in it. Lightfoot quickly shut that down resulting in people making cut outs of her to place in windows or other odd places, pretty funny. We go on multiple walks a day just to get some fresh air. I have also started getting back into the gym which has been fine as capacity is limited to 10.

I don't discredit the severity of the disease. People are dieing and it seemed early on that we didn't have the infrastructure to handle all of the sick; the beds, ventilators, PPE, etc. hence the state wide shelter in place to, as we saw in the media, "flatten the curve". However, now that the curve has flattened and people are trying to get back to normal, we are seeing in my opinion the dramatic effects of a two-party system. Do we wear masks? Should we not wear masks? I have to wear shoes when I go into a store but since Trump tells me masks are ridiculous I am not going to. What about taking hydroxychloroquine through the anus? Some doctors say this, some doctors say that. Are we going to require taking the vaccine when it comes out? Then, if you stop focusing on the recovery plan and really think about some issues going on nationally you realize how ****ing terrible the United States of America is. This facade that America is #1 is an utter joke and the quicker people realize that the quicker we can actually fix all of the issues.

1) Essential employees were and are making less than if they were able to go on unemployment with the CAREs act being in place. The individuals we ask to put their lives on the line so we could get our Taco Bell, go grocery shopping, etc. Oh, and Marijuana shops were deemed essential but yet we have people in prison for possession charges...

2) The fact that the US holds about 4% of the world population but holds about 22% of the world prison population is utter madness. Check out 13 on Netflix if you haven't already. For profit prison systems have no business being a thing. What the ****?!

3) The fact that we couldn't handle a health pandemic because we didn't have the resources but yet we have city police armed to the gills with military grade equipment ready at the will to 'protect' it's citizens is jacked. If that doesn't show you what the government is really concerned about than I don't know what will.

4) Education. Wow, took parents a pandemic and the responsibility to teach at home on a daily basis to realize how valuable teachers are. To think, most if not all teachers have to buy their own resources and are paid a **** wage.

Oh! Check out the Pitchfork Economics episode called, "How the radical right weaponized ideology (with Nancy MacLean).

Anyways, clearly you can probably assume where I fall in terms of politics but am open to having a productive conversation with any!
    I agree with what you've said 100%.

The Stanford prison experiment is a good thing to look up as well regarding power given to people and what happens to their attitude. I can go deep into my thoughts about the protest situation but I'll sum it up. I am a mental health therapist who has his license. That license is proof of competence and essentially my contract to state. This states I will do right and act right as expected of a professional therapist. The standards I have to live up to is intense but that is expected as someone who interacts with the public, their health, and safety. If we treat therapists, doctors, teachers, military members, athletes and so on with high regard and expectations/behavior, why do officers seemingly get away scott free? Why are you okay with excessive force and military weaponry, when soldiers are considered lethal weapons and the "defense" argument they have to go through regarding force is extensive? Oh sure, it's appropriate in this climate but police brutality has been going on for 100's of years, you have to answer for why this has been allowed for so long. That goes into your points as well about a larger scale change instead of just firing people (which Louisville has not yet done BTW).

Regarding Covid-19 it's been an up and down period of time. Getting my license was a nightmare and now trying to find consistent job is difficult. I've been using my coping skills though to stay a float as best as I can. I've been trying to watch a new movie, or movie I have not seen in a while, and "write a review of it. Film is a hobby of mine but didn't bring me the internal happiness that being a therapist did so I never pursued it as a career. I've been diving deep into new avenues of movies (foreign, abstract etc) but still staying close to the genre I love: horror. I've also been walking more which helps get some fresh air, fresh thoughts, and a change of the routine so things don't get stale (coping skills can work but never want them to get routine where their effect is lost). Sports coming back is a nice bonus as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I agree with what you've said 100%.

The Stanford prison experiment is a good thing to look up as well regarding power given to people and what happens to their attitude. I can go deep into my thoughts about the protest situation but I'll sum it up. I am a mental health therapist who has his license. That license is proof of competence and essentially my contract to state. This states I will do right and act right as expected of a professional therapist. The standards I have to live up to is intense but that is expected as someone who interacts with the public, their health, and safety. If we treat therapists, doctors, teachers, military members, athletes and so on with high regard and expectations/behavior, why do officers seemingly get away scott free? Why are you okay with excessive force and military weaponry, when soldiers are considered lethal weapons and the "defense" argument they have to go through regarding force is extensive? Oh sure, it's appropriate in this climate but police brutality has been going on for 100's of years, you have to answer for why this has been allowed for so long. That goes into your points as well about a larger scale change instead of just firing people (which Louisville has not yet done BTW).
    I forget who was talking during this time I was listening to NPR but she was focusing on the changes Norway made to their prison system back in 1998. Can't exactly go into the numbers she was throwing around but Norway as a country ultimately had a very similar recidivism rate as the United States. Similarly, they had a system that focused on punishment rather than rehabilitation. Since then, they have made dramatic changes to how they take care of their prisoners. Notice I said take care and not punish. They changed everything. Instead of guards they employed social workers who actually have training dealing with all sorts of individuals. Whether they have mental health issues, drug issues, etc. Guards don't have that type of training. Inmates have their own personal bed rooms WITH locks. Common areas with KNIVES to cook food. Education courses, the whole 9 yards. ****ing craziness?! But come on, how do you expect these individuals to come out of the prison system ready to get back into society if they are treated like animals. Straight up, treated like ****ing animals man. It's ridiculous. She went into talking about how the national average per inmate in the US is something like $80,000 compared to Norway's now $97,000 (don't quote me on numbers) and yea, it's a little bit more expensive but if you have a dramatic decrease in the recidivism rate it's worth it. Right? Like, pay more now and save some money in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Regarding Covid-19 it's been an up and down period of time. Getting my license was a nightmare and now trying to find consistent job is difficult. I've been using my coping skills though to stay a float as best as I can. I've been trying to watch a new movie, or movie I have not seen in a while, and "write a review of it. Film is a hobby of mine but didn't bring me the internal happiness that being a therapist did so I never pursued it as a career. I've been diving deep into new avenues of movies (foreign, abstract etc) but still staying close to the genre I love: horror. I've also been walking more which helps get some fresh air, fresh thoughts, and a change of the routine so things don't get stale (coping skills can work but never want them to get routine where their effect is lost). Sports coming back is a nice bonus as well.
    Wife and I hit the movies HARD in the beginning. Rewatched the entire Marvel universe and Star Wars saga. Perhaps we went a little too hard because now trying to find anything to watch just doesn't hold my attention. That's a cool thing you do about writing reviews, never would have thought about doing that. Not quite a horror film but Dark on Netflix is amazing. You should give that a watch if you haven't already. That will get your brain working with the amount of questions pop up.

A few Horror films, or perhaps psychological thrillers we have watched recently are Parasite, Us, and Joker. Thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

I forget who was talking during this time I was listening to NPR but she was focusing on the changes Norway made to their prison system back in 1998. Can't exactly go into the numbers she was throwing around but Norway as a country ultimately had a very similar recidivism rate as the United States. Similarly, they had a system that focused on punishment rather than rehabilitation. Since then, they have made dramatic changes to how they take care of their prisoners. Notice I said take care and not punish. They changed everything. Instead of guards they employed social workers who actually have training dealing with all sorts of individuals. Whether they have mental health issues, drug issues, etc. Guards don't have that type of training. Inmates have their own personal bed rooms WITH locks. Common areas with KNIVES to cook food. Education courses, the whole 9 yards. ****ing craziness?! But come on, how do you expect these individuals to come out of the prison system ready to get back into society if they are treated like animals. Straight up, treated like ****ing animals man. It's ridiculous. She went into talking about how the national average per inmate in the US is something like $80,000 compared to Norway's now $97,000 (don't quote me on numbers) and yea, it's a little bit more expensive but if you have a dramatic decrease in the recidivism rate it's worth it. Right? Like, pay more now and save some money in the future.

Wife and I hit the movies HARD in the beginning. Rewatched the entire Marvel universe and Star Wars saga. Perhaps we went a little too hard because now trying to find anything to watch just doesn't hold my attention. That's a cool thing you do about writing reviews, never would have thought about doing that. Not quite a horror film but Dark on Netflix is amazing. You should give that a watch if you haven't already. That will get your brain working with the amount of questions pop up.

A few Horror films, or perhaps psychological thrillers we have watched recently are Parasite, Us, and Joker. Thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
    Agreed. The prison system here is ****ed. Just from a psychological perspective when you want to elicit a reaction you reinforce a certain behavior. So if a someone does something well they get rewarded ie a raise at work. This reinforces the employees willingness to work and work hard at the level they have been. Following that negative reinforcement can occur by telling the person that if they do not get the job done they may have to come in Saturday. In this scenario you are adding negative stimulus to elicit a specific reaction Punishment does not extinguish the behavior from my experience unless consistently enforced (not physically either), it can instead harbor negative feelings and responses to the punisher. Punishment is also temporary so if you are not on top of it things will reset. Hence why the prison system sucks. You punish them by sending them to jail for months/years but do nothing in that time period to help facilitate change. No kidding the individual is going to do the same thing: they've spent that time period angry, frustrated, sad, grieving, building up resentment etc. Unchecked and not providing them with other opportunities or support to help rehabilitate the image and self, the temptation and survival need kicks in. Why do we think lower SES areas have high crime rates? It is the human instinct to survive no matter what and when you have no or ****** resources you are going to be tempted by allures of power and wealth. Which is why I think the military is a tad predatory when it comes to high school kids but that is a different story.

I have not seen Dark but I'll have to check it out. I've been going through some foreign gems like Suspiria (one of my favorite films of all time), Inferno, At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul. I recommend them if you are looking for another avenue to horror. Suspiria in particular because of how stunning it is made and looks with a rocking soundtrack that really amps up the nerves as the movie goes on. The 2018 remake is fantastic too but goes in a different tone and direction. Parasite was fantastic. I loved it it. Us was really good too, not as good as Get Out but for Jordan Peele only having 2 releases (as of now) it is a good start. Joker I liked for the most part but the Wayne stuff was obnoxious and felt like studio influence rather than natural to the story imo.

sorry to hear bout your little fella

I have a 17 year old shih tzu who just had his vet appointment today. Kidney disease has been a problem for a couple years, some back arthritis, and bladder control problems, glaucoma, and hearing loss, but somehow they gave him a grade "5" for overall health. I'm having a difficult time deciding what to do with him because despite all his issues he absolutely loves playing toys and will zoom around endlessly if you don't make him stop. I have to hide his bouncy ball from him so he'll stop demanding more play time. It's really weird to have an aging dog like this still obsessed with playing toys, while also managing a ton of medical issues that he seems to just shrug off

speaking of crimes and foreign shows, don't forget about Money Heist

Sorry to hear...
    ^^ ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

16 years old for a Chihuahua is pretty old, yea? I know it was a difficult decision but I am sure you and your wife did what you thought was best. Comes down to the quality of life the pet is living. Something we are constantly talking about now with our oldest cat.

Just gotta think about all of the good times spent with them!
    We do.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Tigers