Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    If this means the Cards are shut down for a week and the Twins are shut down because they played the cards and the Indians are shut down because they played the Twins last night, I donít see how this season finishes. Iím not saying that shutting them down would be wrong, but if teams keep losing weeks at a time this whole thing is going to fail.

7/31-8/2: Pirates (2-4) at Cubs (4-2) IGT

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I thought about that too. In my head, somewhere a few games over or under .500, I imagine. Which, considering the division we play in, could mean we'd be in first place even, but either way it'd be some super annoying/close 3 or 4 team race. Most likely, we'd have just enough of a chance of winning the division that we couldn't consider punting the season, but we also still wouldn't be able to make any significant additions bc luxury tax.
    Sounds about right. Maybe theyíd be adding a couple relievers and taking a shot in the 2nd half. Today (and basically everyone other day) would have been much more fun if it were a normal year.

In other news, the Cubs are playing a night game at Wrigley on a Friday. Feels so odd to me. When is the last time it has happened where it was a non-playoff game?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    In other news, the Cubs are playing a night game at Wrigley on a Friday. Feels so odd to me. When is the last time it has happened where it was a non-playoff game?
    They said that the city gave them a 1 season exemption for the team to play Friday and Saturday night games this year since no fans are allowed.

To answer your question: I have no idea lol

2016 World Series Champions!!!

7/31-8/2: Pirates (2-4) at Cubs (4-2) IGT

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    If this means the Cards are shut down for a week and the Twins are shut down because they played the cards and the Indians are shut down because they played the Twins last night, I donít see how this season finishes. Iím not saying that shutting them down would be wrong, but if teams keep losing weeks at a time this whole thing is going to fail.
    Frankly, I think everyone negotiating this knew this was going to be the case. It was always going to be a nearly impossible task to get this season finished in the current climate. When they were negotiating, cases were once again going up and hot spots forming. It's why the owners were pushing for lowered salary per-game, the players for pro-rata and things like the playoffs we're going to be weird with revenue.

This was always going to be a task that was going to be incredibly hard to pull off. The league and players certainly haven't helped with no-masks required in the dugouts or the bases, and without a bubble.

It's a ticking time bomb. Whether it blows up next week, or in two weeks, or three...I think the band Europe is absolutely correct here...it's the final countdown.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Frankly, I think everyone negotiating this knew this was going to be the case. It was always going to be a nearly impossible task to get this season finished in the current climate. When they were negotiating, cases were once again going up and hot spots forming. It's why the owners were pushing for lowered salary per-game, the players for pro-rata and things like the playoffs we're going to be weird with revenue.

This was always going to be a task that was going to be incredibly hard to pull off. The league and players certainly haven't helped with no-masks required in the dugouts or the bases, and without a bubble.

It's a ticking time bomb. Whether it blows up next week, or in two weeks, or three...I think the band Europe is absolutely correct here...it's the final countdown.
    I know there are a lot of problems with a bubble model for baseball, but I think itís the best shot at a season. Take a few weeks off to set up 3 regional bubbles and then do a postseason bubble in a warm spot.

Sounds about right. Maybe theyíd be adding a couple relievers and taking a shot in the 2nd half. Today (and basically everyone other day) would have been much more fun if it were a normal year.
    Yeah, last year's deadline, but David Phelps is our biggest acquisition basically.

I know there are a lot of problems with a bubble model for baseball, but I think itís the best shot at a season. Take a few weeks off to set up 3 regional bubbles and then do a postseason bubble in a warm spot.
    I sadly don't think there was ever going to be a bubble for a season as long as the MLB was doing. I think the "best case" scenario is like what Formula 1 is doing, where each person has a "bubble" of people they travel with. And aren't to break that bubble. This allows them to go home between races if they travel only with people in their bubble and see only people in their bubble whom they travel with. The issue is that, guess what? They're not adhering the bubble. After one race a guy went back to his home in Monaco and was out partying (sans mask). Just this week another went home to Mexico and came to England. Whoopsies, covid-19 positive.

I just don't know if it was ever feasible to ask guys to bubble away from family from July through potentially October for some, and between July and September for all. That's a quarter of a year if you keep winning. I think the NBA and NHL can get away with it because for most guys, it's a month and then they go home. I think you can reasonably ask someone to do that for 30 days. It's very hard to say "uproot your entire life, don't see your wife, your kids, you child born" for four.

If players would actually wear their ****ing masks and maybe... I dunno, not high five and basically **** each other after every game, I'm betting that this problem would not be as bad as it is.

But they refuse to do that. And the owners are losers who didn't make them by requiring masks in dugouts and on base paths to be mandatory. And distancing to be mandatory.

If they plan on playing tomorrow and Sunday, I guess it wasn't that bad or controlled in time..

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/...404516352?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I sadly don't think there was ever going to be a bubble for a season as long as the MLB was doing. I think the "best case" scenario is like what Formula 1 is doing, where each person has a "bubble" of people they travel with. And aren't to break that bubble. This allows them to go home between races if they travel only with people in their bubble and see only people in their bubble whom they travel with. The issue is that, guess what? They're not adhering the bubble. After one race a guy went back to his home in Monaco and was out partying (sans mask). Just this week another went home to Mexico and came to England. Whoopsies, covid-19 positive.

I just don't know if it was ever feasible to ask guys to bubble away from family from July through potentially October for some, and between July and September for all. That's a quarter of a year if you keep winning. I think the NBA and NHL can get away with it because for most guys, it's a month and then they go home. I think you can reasonably ask someone to do that for 30 days. It's very hard to say "uproot your entire life, don't see your wife, your kids, you child born" for four.
    At this point it would be about 6 weeks for all and then up to an additional 4 weeks for the WS teams. Take 10 days to set it up, bubble up regionally and play pretty much everyday with occasional doubleheaders to get in as many games as possible by sept 27. Then half the teams go home and another half of the remaining are home within 5 days. 6-10 weeks is a long time, but itís be optional and the majority of players cant really forfeit a years salary.

At what point can the cards play if the marlins are still getting new positives showing up? It would be pretty reckless to have them play in the next week since they all just flew with 2 positive players. Thereís a pretty decent chance there will be more positives popping up for the cards over the next few days.

The 3 bubble plan is problematic, no doubt. I just think this current plan is more problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Lol.. we're not allowed to give names but it 2 pitchers

Like it not easy to figure out who by seeing who doesn't play

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    If they plan on playing tomorrow and Sunday, I guess it wasn't that bad or controlled in time..

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/...404516352?s=19
    I hope that is safe. I donít understand how the Marlins are still getting positives nearly a week out and the Phillies had to shut down for a week, but the cards who were just on a plane with 2 positive players can play tomorrow and play 2 on Sunday.

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast